• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] DD3

I would say there is basically 0 difference. The two dd3 I have tried have flat wings and one have a slight dome and the other is very domey with pop top. They both have the same PLH and both have white bubbles on the top.

They are more us compared to a random McBeth Destroyer. I also have slightly used McBeth Destroyer with flat wings which flies very similar to my new dd3

Got mine today. Pop top. Super flexible star blend. Not a huge fan of the plastic.

I think they will bomb though. Will find out this weekend

The reality of the situation is that most speed 12 ,-1 ,3 are pretty much the same. Every disc that is produced is going to be compared to its closest competition and people will say "what's the point". Getting caught up in that does no one any good. The DD3 is a great distance driver. End of story. If it is similar to a destroyer that's great because the destroyer is also a great distance driver. I personally love my DD3 and find it flying farther and farther the more I get to know it

I was able to throw mine yesterday. I purchased 4 in blue, orange, white, and neon yellow all in 175. The neon yellow has a pronounced pop top, the white is what I would describe as "domey" and the blue and orange are a bit more flat. The plastic is a little stiffer than what I would consider normal star plastic. I can throw 380 ft pretty consistently and out to 400 on a good pull. I live in Denver which makes discs fly a bit more stable than they are at sea level.

IMHO,

These have a little more glide than the average destroyer. I think the flight numbers are pretty accurate. As much as I wanted these to be something super special they are really just a destroyer. They remind me a LOT of a fresh PmcB * D. If you're looking for a Discmania Destroyer this is it but if you're throwing Destroyer/Scorpius/Kong I'm not sure it's different enough to make a switch.

Of the four I bought I like the flatter ones better. I think they hold nose angle a bit better and have a more straight flight.

I managed to get myself three FR DD3 and now i need advice before i start throwing one of them...

My problem is the difference in wing tip shape, my pink one has a vertually 90 degrees lower edge while my yellow and dayglow has a nice slightly rounded lower edge. I would not consider PLH to be different but of course the sharp edge of the pink one goes a millimeter or so lower. Did they optimise or is these sharp ones S-line cloudbreakers? I'm confused...

I managed to get myself three FR DD3 and now i need advice before i start throwing one of them...

My problem is the difference in wing tip shape, my pink one has a vertually 90 degrees lower edge while my yellow and dayglow has a nice slightly rounded lower edge. I would not consider PLH to be different but of course the sharp edge of the pink one goes a millimeter or so lower. Did they optimise or is these sharp ones S-line cloudbreakers? I'm confused...

The "cloudbreaker" is the prototype run. They are embossed "prototype" on the back. That is the only thing that makes a DD3 a "cloudbreaker". There seems to be something up with the trimming process on these. It seems that some of them were trimmed too much taking the nose of the wing off and leaving a much different shape.

The "cloudbreaker" is the prototype run. They are embossed "prototype" on the back. That is the only thing that makes a DD3 a "cloudbreaker". There seems to be something up with the trimming process on these. It seems that some of them were trimmed too much taking the nose of the wing off and leaving a much different shape.

Yeah I ment flight wise, smart with the embossed prototype!

Here comes some plh candy.
First one, two FR.
Second, CB to the left FR to the right.

Attachments

• _20190529_192356.jpg
    _20190529_192356.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 86
  • _20190530_151122.JPG
    _20190530_151122.JPG
    8.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

I think pink is the only color I don't have. The day glow sounds very similar to the day glow that I have. I would probably go with the day glow if it isn't super pop toppy.... or bag em both and start the rotation :thmbup:

I think pink is the only color I don't have. The day glow sounds very similar to the day glow that I have. I would probably go with the day glow if it isn't super pop toppy.... or bag em both and start the rotation :thmbup:

The dayglow is 171g and got nothing more than a healthy dome, feels awesome.

I wonder how the squared rim on the pink one will affect the stability. :(

Here comes some plh candy.
First one, two FR.
Second, CB to the left FR to the right.

Woah that is really different. I've never had the chance to throw basically identical discs but with the bottom rounded vs. sharp. I've noticed on some discs like Teebirds/Firebirds sometimes they are sharper than other times at the bottom edge when fresh...but I've never had side by side discs that identical with that edge being the only difference. I think on the Teebirds for example it's a case of how high the PLH is pulling up the wing and making the bottom edge just look different.

If you do throw them both please update with how they fly comparatively.

Woah that is really different. I've never had the chance to throw basically identical discs but with the bottom rounded vs. sharp. I've noticed on some discs like Teebirds/Firebirds sometimes they are sharper than other times at the bottom edge when fresh...but I've never had side by side discs that identical with that edge being the only difference. I think on the Teebirds for example it's a case of how high the PLH is pulling up the wing and making the bottom edge just look different.

If you do throw them both please update with how they fly comparatively.

Yeah, that would be one interesting 30$ experiment... :D
My bet would be that this will give it less glide and hence make it really beefy, just so confused because it seems people believe the CB's to be more os than the FR's. Lower PLH in at least some cases beg to differ.

I have to get my hands on some stock stamps to know if i will even bag the mold.

I have a few wraiths like this. Specifically the Ken Climo swirly star wraiths from a few (couple?) years back. They had a similar PLH to a normal wraith but a super blunt wing. They were beef as far as wraiths go. I'm not sure if it raises the PLH when they're squared off or if it's just more drag on the leading edge of the wing.

Cloud Breaker vs DD3 vs PD2 vs Destroyer

DD3 (Cloud Breaker, Distance Driver) from Discmania
Max Weight: 174.3gr
Diameter: 21.0cm
Height: 1.8cm
Rim Depth: 1.2cm
Rim Thickness: 2.4cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 16.3cm
Rim Depth / Diameter Ratio: 5.7%
Rim Configuration: 26.25
Flexibility: 12.13kg

DD3 (retest) from Discmania
Max Weight: 175.1gr
Diameter: 21.1cm
Height: 1.7cm
Rim Depth: 1.1cm

PD2 (Chaos, Power Driver) from Discmania
Height: 1.9cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 16.4cm
Rim Configuration: 27.25
Flexibility: 12.25kg

Destroyer from Innova-Champion Discs
Height: 1.4cm
Rim Thickness: 2.2cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 16.7cm
Rim Configuration: 30.50
Flexibility: 10.66kg

Not sure why people are calling DD3s another Destroyer, DD3s do not feel like Destroyers in the hand, do not throw like Destroyers, and guess what, are closer to a PD2 than a Destroyer.

My first throw (175G, orange) was 380 feet, I gave it to my friend, he threw it 480 feet, sometimes life just works out that way.

And he really did throw it real planet earth 480 feet, not internet dude 480 feet. He won his last tournament, he is 43, took down open, average round was 1041.

Not sure why people are calling DD3s another Destroyer, DD3s do not feel like Destroyers in the hand, do not throw like Destroyers, and guess what, are closer to a PD2 than a Destroyer.

Grumpy internet-golfers.

There's even a war mongerer spamming Facebook about getting miss-stamped DD3s/destroyers, embossed DS and stamped DD3. I bet he's just trolling since he's not reasonable enough to take PLH comparisons.
At least not smart enough to tell a DS and a DD3 apart.

I'm gonna give it a go to throw my 171g Dayglow FR today, hope to break 400' with control for the first time!

Take PDGA specs with a grain of salt. They're generally measured from test plastic with different cooling rates. I've measured * destroyers with calipers and found the rim thickness to be ~2.3

*runs downstairs and measures GPD2 and CPD2* and it looks like PD2s are bang on 2.3 as opposed to the spec sheet 2.4

Which makes sense as I'm 99% sure Destroyer and PD2 share a bottom piece

Max Weight: 174.3gr
Diameter: 21.0cm
Height: 1.8cm

DD3 (retest) from Discmania
Height: 1.7cm
Rim Depth: 1.1cm

PD2 (Chaos, Power Driver) from Discmania
Height: 1.9cm
Inside Rim Diameter: 16.4cm
Rim Configuration: 27.25
Flexibility: 12.25kg

My first throw (175G, orange) was 380 feet, I gave it to my friend, he threw it 480 feet, sometimes life just works out that way.

And he really did throw it real planet earth 480 feet, not internet dude 480 feet. He won his last tournament, he is 43, took down open, average round was 1041.

Your cited measurements make some sense. The DD3 rim does feel wider in my hand than a destroyer.

Latest posts