• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dealing with rude people on the course

Sean525

Hi friends, first thread on here.

So the other day my friend and I were playing at Firefighters Park in Troy, MI. Pretty decent place, it's free, and only a mile away from my house. The only problem I have with this course is that it attracts a lot of casuals and jackasses.

While throwing on the second hole, these 4 high school kids jumped the course and started throwing at the basket. I told them that my friend and I were throwing and they blatantly ignored us. So we finish putting and decided that we weren't going to let them cut us off at the next hole, so while they were messing around we walked on the tee pad and started throwing.

10 seconds later they decide to jump over to some other holes. Mind you there were other players as well. I called out to them and asked them if they know the rules and etiquette in disc golf. 1 of them said he did but his friends did it. Told them that they were going to cut off the others who there playing out there already and 1 of them tells me to go efff myself. Obviously these kids didn't know how to play, they each only had 2 discs at most, and they were terrible at throwing.

Throughout the day they were jumping all over the place, until eventually one of the kids parents came and made them all leave, weird. I didn't enjoy dealing with it. I'm 27 years old and the last thing I want to do is deal with somebody's brat kids.

Forgive me for the rant. I love disc golf, I have dealt with some rude jerks on the course before, but never did I have to deal with some snotty rude kids until the other day. How do you guys deal with these situations?

I had a guy pull up and park next to the 14th tee pad that I was heading toward. I thought that was kind of a jerk move but then he started throwing 4 drivers at every hole.!

My suggestion is, if you come up with a way to quell bad behavior in teenagers, forget the disc golf. Patent it, copyright it, author a book, and buy your own course with the proceeds, where you can resume the disc golf and never deal with this kind of thing again.

Wait till their thirty, they'll probably will be those drunks on a ball golf course racing carts across the fairways and jumping between holes. Rude people are everywhere, better get used to it.

sounds like high schoolers were being high schoolers

no surprise here. think about how worse they would act if there was actually women on the course to impress

My suggestion is, if you come up with a way to quell bad behavior in teenagers, forget the disc golf. Patent it, copyright it, author a book, and buy your own course with the proceeds, where you can resume the disc golf and never deal with this kind of thing again.

:clap::clap::clap:

Find their parents and teach them to play disc golf. If you can get Mom & Dad on the course, the teens will never be seen within 2 miles of it again.

Find out who their parents are. If the mothers are single start a physical relationship with as many of them as possible. Rub it in their faces often. The next time one of them tells you to eff yourself you remind them that you're too busy with their mothers to make that a possibility.

I think that's the best form of revenge I can think of. Probably easier to just ignore them though.

Find out who their parents are. If the mothers are single start a physical relationship with as many of them as possible. Rub it in their faces often. The next time one of them tells you to eff yourself you remind them that you're too busy with their mothers to make that a possibility.

I think that's the best form of revenge I can think of. Probably easier to just ignore them though.

but ignoring would be no where near as satisfying. in every way possible

I'm lucky in that I have a loud, booming, authoritative voice honed by years in the Army. It pays to be firm yet not rude. I've yet to have someone not listen when Staff Sergeant Belet comes out.

On the other hand, they are kids so interacting with them would be different then some random drunken adults who tend to back down and apologize unless they are REALLY drunk. It sucks, but there is simply no "right" answer when dealing with teenagers/young adults.

were just on different mindset levels than them. their idea of fun is completely different than our nerd dg ideas of fun.

Nothing you can do except leave or kill them with kindness. Such is life. I have a course close to my house where this same thing happens all the time.

So the other day my friend and I were playing at Firefighters Park in Troy, MI. Pretty decent place, it's free, and only a mile away from my house. The only problem I have with this course is that it attracts a lot of casuals and jackasses.

While throwing on the second hole, these 4 high school kids jumped the course and started throwing at the basket. I told them that my friend and I were throwing and they blatantly ignored us. So we finish putting and decided that we weren't going to let them cut us off at the next hole, so while they were messing around we walked on the tee pad and started throwing.

10 seconds later they decide to jump over to some other holes. Mind you there were other players as well. I called out to them and asked them if they know the rules and etiquette in disc golf. 1 of them said he did but his friends did it. Told them that they were going to cut off the others who there playing out there already and 1 of them tells me to go efff myself. Obviously these kids didn't know how to play, they each only had 2 discs at most, and they were terrible at throwing.

Throughout the day they were jumping all over the place, until eventually one of the kids parents came and made them all leave, weird. I didn't enjoy dealing with it. I'm 27 years old and the last thing I want to do is deal with somebody's brat kids.

Forgive me for the rant. I love disc golf, I have dealt with some rude jerks on the course before, but never did I have to deal with some snotty rude kids until the other day. How do you guys deal with these situations?

This is an epidemic unfortunately with a few noobs that I have dealt with over the past year in my local area but they are not children, they are adult aged players which is even more pathetic. Entitlement and arrogance by some of the newer players in my local area is rampant and does not appear to be going anywhere. Thankfully I rarely play locally due to travel with my job and when I am home I much rather hang out with friends and family than dealing with the few new players who have no sense of how the sport, local clubs and tournaments have been around prior to their introduction to the sport. Thankfully around SC, we have some great people in the sport who volunteer at tournaments and make the competitive aspect of the sport fun in contrast to many local rec players in my area with huge egos that refuse to play sanctioned tournaments. My suggestion is to find balance within the sport and play where you feel comfortable.

Nothing you can do except leave or kill them with kindness. Such is life. I have a course close to my house where this same thing happens all the time.

This is where the Serenity Prayer, or at least the oft-quoted first part of it, helps.

This is an epidemic unfortunately with a few noobs that I have dealt with over the past year in my local area but they are not children, they are adult aged players which is even more pathetic. Entitlement and arrogance by some of the newer players in my local area is rampant and does not appear to be going anywhere. Thankfully I rarely play locally due to travel with my job and when I am home I much rather hang out with friends and family than dealing with the few new players who have no sense of how the sport, local clubs and tournaments have been around prior to their introduction to the sport. Thankfully around SC, we have some great people in the sport who volunteer at tournaments and make the competitive aspect of the sport fun in contrast to many local rec players in my area with huge egos that refuse to play sanctioned tournaments. My suggestion is to find balance within the sport and play where you feel comfortable.

Luckily, I play a lot where this isn't an issue.

Come visit.

I agree, it's much worse with adults. I understand that disc is supposed to be a laid back game, it's just a pain to deal with rude people on the course. Some people think that etiquette doesn't apply to them, they have no sense of community or respect. I consider myself a pacifist and try to be as humble as I possibly can. Plus, some kids just don't listen. It was funny though seeing one of their dads come grab them all on the course and take them away. Never quite figured out what was up with that.

My suggestion is this:

When you have children, raise them to act with more courtosey.

Really, that's all I got. I can get authoratative, but most of the time it's simply not worth it. Other than that, have had great results with just engaging similar people in non-confronting conversation.

Didn't realize how many typos I had...oops.

Latest posts