• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dealing with rude people on the course

What are your options if you are in a PDGA event and someone in your group is talking **** and trying to mess with the other players? Just flat out rude attitude, trying to call people on bull**** penalties and generally antagonizing the entire card?

Usually a red flag when someone is claiming that bull**** penalties are being called. The violations are seemingly inoculous and rarely called, or are the violations called made up or a lie?

I'm lucky in that I have a loud, booming, authoritative voice honed by years in the Army. It pays to be firm yet not rude. I've yet to have someone not listen when Staff Sergeant Belet comes out.

On the other hand, they are kids so interacting with them would be different then some random drunken adults who tend to back down and apologize unless they are REALLY drunk. It sucks, but there is simply no "right" answer when dealing with teenagers/young adults.

Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here-meme.png

No, not really. If you have never been in the service you just plain do not understand. When a drill instructor or company commander(Navy) brings out "the voice", everyone listens. Even 6'4" 300lb muscle men will stop, listen, and reconsider when "the voice" comes out. It is quite fun to see when "the voice" comes from a 5'4" 135lb female. Coming from Andyjb I would probably immediately hit the deck in the up position asking how many pushups you want Sergeant? Lmao.

Start with telling him to STFU. Then...

Call him for courtesy violations (talking crap, intentionally messing with players, calling violations where there are none, etc are all arguably distracting)...

Report him to the TD for further discipline...

All else fails, wait for him in the parking lot after the tournament.
Happy-Gilmore.jpg

Kidding on the last one, of course.

R.I.P. Richard Kiel.

I don't see many rude youngsters.

Most common offenders are litterbugs or large groups that start to walk up the fairway right when you're getting to a tee. :wall:

Yesterday I had a family walking their dog cross a grass field just to get to the outside edge of a path that was the fairway. I just waited for them to pass. Yes, it's annoying but they don't know any better and it takes less time to let them pass than to explain to them what's up.

Right after they're clear I go to shoot and here come 2 youngish kids on bikes. Really, I thought.

Let them pass.

Still saved my par.

Ahh I had a big group of chuckers show up halfway through hole 8 at MTU the other day; it was a mob of about 6 people who pulled up, start their round on hole 8 just as I'm finishing the same hole. They all begin lobbing tomahawks as hard as they can, and sprinting to their next throw, and as me and the ONE other person finish our first drives on hole 9, they rush to the tee and start shouting FORE!!!! and begin raining discs on us without waiting for us to finish. And this was maybe a 250 foot hole at the absolute most. I can relate, some people have no courtesy, even if you're not an every day disc golfer you should know to wait a few more seconds to smaller groups hole out.

Latest posts