• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definition of the word Stable

Stable

• Total voters
I've probably posted this in every thread where this gets debated, but I play with some guys who yell to the disc "Get stable!" when an OS disc starts to flip due to bad release. They want it to hyzer instead of flip, straight is not what they want. Odds are good they aren't the only ones.

Straight but with likely a hyzer finish. I'd call a straight disc with neutral, straight finish a "neutral" disc, which isn't same as stable (to me).

Agreed, but I would prefer you said "fade" finish. Hyzer is a shot that really turns the entire flight, not just at the end, but that's another 12 discussions. So a stable disc might be the perfect 'stall shot" disc, straight with a late fade.

Blake wrote:
[url]https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/discevaluation.shtml[/url] said:
Stable discs are designed to fly straight. That is to say, the idealized flight path of a stable disc is to have very little if any high-speed turn and minimal low speed fade. Under these criteria, the "best" stable drivers are the discs that are the most high-speed stable (without being overstable at high speeds) with the least low-speed fade.

Straight but with likely a hyzer finish. I'd call a straight disc with neutral, straight finish a "neutral" disc, which isn't same as stable (to me).

No such thing as a hyzer finish, hyzer is a release angle and (low speed) fade is the finish to the flight. Cringe each time a pro uses it on commentary as well. :doh:

Agreed, but I would prefer you said "fade" finish. Hyzer is a shot that really turns the entire flight, not just at the end, but that's another 12 discussions. So a stable disc might be the perfect 'stall shot" disc, straight with a late fade.

No such thing as a hyzer finish, hyzer is a release angle and (low speed) fade is the finish to the flight. Cringe each time a pro uses it on commentary as well. :doh:

Yes, fade. Thanks for the correction.

As a member of the "old-school" I recognize that a mixture of regional dialect and ignorance has lead many to use this word incorrectly. About half of my buddies still do. While regional lingo is unique and interesting, as the sport grows through the Internet we need to clarify the conversation and definitions are a great place to start. Yes, as said before, getting the commentators onboard would be key.

Just a few thoughts:
- Stable means that the disc will hold angle when thrown at the speed it was designed for.
- Forehand rather than Sidearm/Finger Pop.
- Overhand, then Tomahawk/Thumber can be used to describe the grip/disc orientation.
- Hyzer/Flat/Anhyzer are release angles while Fade/Turn are flight characteristics.
- Why are we still using the term "Patent Pending"? How about Reverse/Switch Stance or Goofy Foot?

Any other terms I missed?

Goofy Foot?

Soooooooooooo much worse than Patent Pending. I could see something like a Backward Straddle or something similar, but there's really no need to rename the stance, IMO.

What in the heck are you guys talking about?

I've never heard anyone use the term "Patent Pending" in relation to a disc golf stance. What stance are you referring to?

Goofy Foot?

Soooooooooooo much worse than Patent Pending. I could see something like a Backward Straddle or something similar, but there's really no need to rename the stance, IMO.

Agreed, Goofy Foot is pretty silly. Just putting it out there ;-). Disc Golfers love their silly lingo. I would personally prefer Switch Stance, Reverse Straddle sounds good too, but Patent Pending does nothing to describe the situation.

I've never heard anyone use the term "Patent Pending" in relation to a disc golf stance. What stance are you referring to?

Patent Pending is currently the most common phrase used to describe a stance where you are having to stretch out to avoid an obstacle with your back/heels toward the basket. I'm not sure if that really describes it but, there you go.

RHBH:

Disc is just inside the right rough, you have room for one foot to be behind the mini and the other foot in the fairway. So left foot heel goes behind the mini, stand with back to your target and throw.

RHBH:

Disc is just inside the right rough, you have room for one foot to be behind the mini and the other foot in the fairway. So left foot heel goes behind the mini, stand with back to your target and throw.

Huh. I guess no one around here ever bothered to name that.

Huh. I guess no one around here ever bothered to name that.

It is an old term often used by commentators. It is worth mentioning because it greatly changes the mechanics of the shot and is a skill that not everyone has. It just needs a better name.

I feel like I've hijacked this thread, sorry.

Latest posts