• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definitive shoe thread

I used to religiously wear my Nike 5.0 freerunning shoes. I wore them for everything except formal events. They strengthen your feet and legs and offer lots of tactile feel and grip. I loved them. When they got wet, it would only take 15-20 minutes to dry. It was only a matter of whether or not to wear socks with those shoes. Best $50 I ever spent. Since I wore them out(4 years of concrete pads and roughly 15,000mi of running/hiking/climbing), I have found that going barefoot is the best way to do it. Doesn't matter if your feet get wet or muddy, never problems with ventilation, and all the grip your toes will allow. Although, I am Native American and don't get poison ivy, bug bites, or cuts/scratches from rocks and roots.

Are you serious? I've seen a few people playing barefoot but I don't think I could because of rocks and such. I absolutely LOVE playing in my Vibram Five Fingers in the summer, but it can get annoying stubbing your toes and having to fetch your disc from the brush. Besides those pitfalls, throwing off the teepad is simply incredible. The grip is impeccable (Except in wetness), and I feel that my control improves as well. I hit my first ace in my Vibram KSO's.

I just wear basic tennis shoes -- nothing fancy, just regular ole' Kohls specials. I used to throw all forearm (no backhand at all) and tore through the front of my shoes all the time. I ended up going to Walmart and getting a cheap $7 pair just for disc golfing because of the way I dragged my toe when tossing. I even got to the point where I wrapped duct tape around the toe each time I went out. :D Stupid, yes, but it worked! Then, I switched to throwing all backhand (mostly because of my shoulder) and my shoe problems have gone away -- throwing RHBH, I don't drag my toe at all...and I get better distance for less wear and tear on my shoulder. ;)

Garret

Just thought id report back in...been 3 months and my keen redrock mids are still rock solid.

So has anyone here with moabs had to replace the insole? I broke through mine on my left foot in a small spot...nothing wrong with the shoe itself, I think I just put too much pressure on that point for whatever reason.

I still don't see how so many people drag their toe when doing forehand...well I sort of take that back, but it honestly can't be that hard to teach yourself to lift that foot up. I just never had that problem and it was always tough for me to grasp the toe drag problem. Maybe it's different sports backgrounds, though I come from soccer which throwing balls in you were taught to drag your toes. While I do throw mainly rhbh I did start out fh as for most it's easier to get enough snap on. I just one day decided my backhand needed practice and then completely flip flopped my throwing, so now I suck at forehand(still never drag my foot though :p).

How is the width? I was disappointed to see that they don't offer a Wide width.

my keens have a very wide toe box. I have a wide foot (2e), but a narrow heel. and the Keens non wide boots fit very well, though i had to go with a size 14 instead of a 13, the 13s werent wide enough, or long enough. I usually wear a 13 wide.

So has anyone here with moabs had to replace the insole? I broke through mine on my left foot in a small spot...nothing wrong with the shoe itself, I think I just put too much pressure on that point for whatever reason.

I haven't had any problems with the insoles on the Moabs, but I have been somewhat disappointed with the Vibram soles. I bought mine new in June of last year (2010) and will be surprised if they make it much past a full year. I have probably averaged 3-4 rounds per week over the 10 months of owning them. For the first several months, they showed absolutely no sign of wear (except toe dragging, but I acknowledge that is my fault). However, in the last three months the concrete tee pads have begun to really do a work on the soles.

So, now I am back in the business of shoe shopping. Overall, the Moabs weren't bad shoes. I just had higher expectations for a pair of shoes that set me back almost $100.

I have found that going barefoot is the best way to do it. Doesn't matter if your feet get wet or muddy, never problems with ventilation, and all the grip your toes will allow. Although, I am Native American and don't get poison ivy, bug bites, or cuts/scratches from rocks and roots.

That is the funniest thing I have read in a while.

i trot around in birks until i get to the tee, i almost always drive barefoot. only on short throws do i keep my birks on off the tee.

as someone said before... the amount of grip and balance you can achieve barefoot can not be matched by shoes; but i am saying that as a lifelong believer in barefoot living. you shoe people probably disagree.

if i had some vibram five fingers i might rock those on occasion.

Just got some Merrill Chameleon stretches for the days my five fingers aren't gonna cut it

That hi-tec looks sort of nice, though for water proof I still love my gore-tex MOABs. Though I've never had any other waterproof shoes. I accidentally stomped in a puddle one day which I didn't think was so wide, and was completely dry. Though I will say since they are breathable(though not summer time breathable IMO), I've thought about getting winter shoes...mostly for everyday stuff as I do have boots.

Salomon is a great brand of shoe. I have some goretex low-tops that are amazingly comfortable and durable. I have also seen some Salomon's that are of the sandal variety, open/mesh sides with a hard rubber toe.

Latest posts