• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Delaware Disc Golf Challenge

McBeth has to shoot about -11 down on this course (-8 to 69 SSA) to shoot his rating. So it looks like he's got a chance to get to 1050+ on the last two holes.

Looks like Even par for the women was rated 957 which is right where it should be for a Blue level challenge.

Every year or so when this discussion occurs and the idea that there's no way a player that wants to inflate his rating should play Iron Hill tourneys -- there's no "1100" at Iron Hill due to the compression factor.

I'm not sure I've ever asked you Chuck what would it take to adjust the ratings systems so that the ratings at Iron Hill are in line with the majority of tournaments?

Just curious -- even though if the trees keep falling/trimmed at Iron Hill nature and disc golfers will take care of this conundrum on their own given time . . . .

The reason Iron Hill isn't "in line" with the majority of courses is because it's a par 72. The higher the SSA, the less each throw is worth. So you have to go really really low to rate really really high.

I'd imagine that if more courses were like Iron Hill and we had fewer or no courses where the SSA is in the mid to low 40s (or in the 40s at all), the formulas could be adjusted in a way where a par 72 wouldn't be on the extreme end of the curve but rather right in the middle.

Gibson 2'd 18? That's silly good. It's not crazy to think about the drive getting to within 204' of the basket and threading the 204' throw through the trees/incline/rocks while unlikely is possible . . . . but to do them both is like an eagle*.

It's surprising 6 was the biggest number on that basket and that there were only 3 of them.

Iron Hill and the few other wooded courses like it aren't any better or or worse producing average ratings. They just have a narrower range of high and low ratings compared to your current player rating. You can still shoot your average, but your highest and lowest ratings shot on the course might only be plus/minus 40 rating points versus plus/minus 60 points on a course with an SSA in the 50s. People tend to focus on high side ratings but a bad day at Iron Hill will likely produce a higher low rating in relation to your current player rating than most other courses.

The reason Iron Hill isn't "in line" with the majority of courses is because it's a par 72. The higher the SSA, the less each throw is worth. So you have to go really really low to rate really really high.

I'd imagine that if more courses were like Iron Hill and we had fewer or no courses where the SSA is in the mid to low 40s (or in the 40s at all), the formulas could be adjusted in a way where a par 72 wouldn't be on the extreme end of the curve but rather right in the middle.

Um -- very familiar with Iron Hill and the ratings system -- the question is about the system itself and adapting it to fit Iron Hill. Bring it more in line with the ratings of the other courses that are played at the top level. A player needed to shoot -19 today to get an 1100 rated round. .. . while "possible" it's silly to consider that type of a number given the length/obstacles of this course.

Change the system so that the best of best playing at their best get the same rating. If we're only basing the ratings on what the players do, why not make it so that the numbers reflect the performance?

Iron Hill and the few other wooded courses like it aren't any better or or worse producing average ratings. They just have a narrower range of high and low ratings compared to your current player rating. You can still shoot your average, but your highest and lowest ratings shot on the course might only be plus/minus 40 rating points versus plus/minus 60 points on a course with an SSA in the 50s. People tend to focus on high side ratings but a bad day at Iron Hill will likely produce a higher low rating in relation to your current player rating than most other courses.

Yes -- but why leave Iron Hill types out of the mix for really good or really bad ratings?

Seems a shame that the "best round ever played" may be this weekend at Iron Hill and we'll never know it . . . . ?

(Chuck - you're doing all the work, please ignore any/all of my comments as I'm only putting in my .02 and that's what it's worth . .. :) )

Last edited:
Yes -- but why leave Iron Hill types out of the mix for really good or really bad ratings?

Seems a shame that the "best round ever played" may be this weekend at Iron Hill and we'll never know it . . . . ?

(Chuck - you're doing all the work, please ignore any/all of my comments as I'm only putting in my .02 and that's what it's worth . .. :) )
There's no such thing as a Best Round Ever, just a Best Round within a course SSA category. To make the top 10 in this 66+ SSA category it would take a round of 56 or lower which McBeth has done three times to garner the top 3 spots in this category with ratings of 1105, 1095 and 1094. These were not wooded courses however. One of the issues with our courses is the open courses with lots of penalties get SSA values padded with bonus strokes that weren't actually thrown. This inflates their ratings. I'm not sure of a fair way to account for that other than make a new course category that separates wooded courses with minimal OB (bumper pool) from those with lots of natural and man-made OB (bowling alley with OB gutters).

There's no such thing as a Best Round Ever, just a Best Round within a course SSA category. To make the top 10 in this 66+ SSA category it would take a round of 56 or lower which McBeth has done three times to garner the top 3 spots in this category with ratings of 1105, 1095 and 1094. These were not wooded courses however. One of the issues with our courses is the open courses with lots of penalties get SSA values padded with bonus strokes that weren't actually thrown. This inflates their ratings. I'm not sure of a fair way to account for that other than make a new course category that separates wooded courses with minimal OB (bumper pool) from those with lots of natural and man-made OB (bowling alley with OB gutters).

Right -- we're hitting the same notes, and I love the bumper pool v bowling alley analogy. (As an aside, don't tell Jimi McIlvain that out-of-bounds isn't the end of the world . .. it's just out-of-bounds.)

You've excluded Iron Hill from the Best Round within a course SSA category because because even the mighty McBeth (insert a name, any name) can't shoot a round that will hit the top of the list for this category at this course. Either adjust the formula or add another column. I think the formula should bend. (If you want to throw in the stats/math/etc. you won't scare me, it's just easier to talk in grandiose terms on the internet . . . . my argument won't really change.)

We could magnify the higher SSA end but then the lower numbers would be magnified, too. And it still doesn't solve the OB padding.

His round could have easily been four strokes better and it still wasn't his best golf. The muddy conditions on the course had an impact on the tees and a couple of the fairways were a little slick. I never thought I'd see the tees here get bad. Part of it was that on a wooded course everyone ends up teeing from the exact same spot and the med just collected in the broom marks. Ricky and Paul both seemed to adjust, shooting hot numbers on the back.

Gibson 2'd 18? That's silly good. It's not crazy to think about the drive getting to within 204' of the basket and threading the 204' throw through the trees/incline/rocks while unlikely is possible . . . . but to do them both is like an eagle*.

It's surprising 6 was the biggest number on that basket and that there were only 3 of them.

He went too far straight off the tee shot landing about 20 feet short of 11's tee. From there he took a forehand skip left of the boulders to dunk it in. It was unbelievable to watch

His round could have easily been four strokes better and it still wasn't his best golf. The muddy conditions on the course had an impact on the tees and a couple of the fairways were a little slick. I never thought I'd see the tees here get bad. Part of it was that on a wooded course everyone ends up teeing from the exact same spot and the med just collected in the broom marks. Ricky and Paul both seemed to adjust, shooting hot numbers on the back.

? 4 strokes better -- fine. That makes him -15. Can he get -19 to be a 1100 round?

Nice battle between Paig B and Hokom . .to bad the other Paige is not there. . saw on Udisc that she parked a 136m/446ft hole for an Eagle. . .thats just..wow

Latest posts