• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deleted UDisc reviews?

I asked to have some reviews on here taken down because they were very clearly written by the person I banned from my leagues for repeat issues over many years . . . he was doing anything and everything he could do to hurt my name especially as a designer because he knows how badly I want to do that. They got removed for a while . . . but I noticed he must have editted them at some point and now they have popped back up. They may not be the best courses but they were not zero to 1/2 disc courses like he rated them. So now his 0 or .5 disc rating are skewing the overall rating down fairly significantly . . . but I guess that may balance things out with the people who are clearly over rating the courses. There is no way any of the courses I have designed deserve higher than a 3.5 to 4 rating but there are some who gave them that high of a rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The question is do good reviews and popularity have a high correlation?
...is this a trick question?
The question is whether the characteristics that make a course popular are in line with the characteristics that produce a good review by a trusted DGCR reviewer? For example, if trusted reviewers provide great reviews but the course isn't popular, are the great things about the course really great? Granted, location may be a significant factor in popularity. But let's say a course in an area with many course options has great trusted reviewer reviews but isn't played much but lower rated DGCR courses get great snap reviews and are more popular. Are DGCR reviews still more important, especially to course owners?

The comparison I made on Facebook is the difference between the movie critic reviews which mean more toward awards and moviegoer reviews which mean more toward box office success. Is there a way to align these two potentially non-parallel evaluation criteria?

It took a few more days, but my second review attempt (see attachment) on UDisc for this course was also deleted. I've contacted the UDisc help desk to let them know about this.

How can we promote greater use of DGCR? Especially as it pertains to attracting new users and encouraging more users to write reviews and update course conditions?

Attachments

• American Legion review.jpg
    American Legion review.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 40
It took a few more days, but my second review attempt (see attachment) on UDisc for this course was also deleted. I've contacted the UDisc help desk to let them know about this.

How can we promote greater use of DGCR? Especially as it pertains to attracting new users and encouraging more users to write reviews and update course conditions?

Currently UDisc's scoring app has become an important COVID tool. I don't use apps on a golf course, so I am not their audience, but I see it used regularly in casual and tournament play. I guess you can only hope customers get tired of the above antics and migrate to a different platform.

wow. i've never left a written review on there, but i do rate them. perhaps when i eventually bag it, ill make an exception. a 4.4 rating for a non-descript niner!?!?!?! and it plays over and around baseball fields!?!?! what a useless review platform. its unfathomable that the course rates higher than almost every course in the Knoxville area. what a fallacy.

as for your second question. the thumb up/down feature is a powerful tool on this site (imo) and it can drive some people away when used negatively. just yesterday there was a thumb-down hit on Surge5 and he got 30 thumb downs in a couple hours. Why, because he left 1.5 review on an incomplete niner. I assume that's why platforms like facebook never implemented it, because they determined that their bottom line would be effected with a resultant of less users. I admittedly liked the thumb-down feature on this site at first. but in hindsight and imo, the damage outweighs the benefits.

I agree, UDisc ratings are generally higher than DGCR's.

I know I'm very late to this, but I just wanted to say how I always find it hilarious when someone sees facts, like indisputable plain data, and think it is up for agreement or disagreement. Like, "Yes, I will agree and concede to your point that 4 is generally bigger than 3." I mean, I know this kind of treatment of objective truth and fact has really been put to the test by some public leaders, but man. I'm glad we can agree that some numbers are greater than others I guess.

as for your second question. the thumb up/down feature is a powerful tool on this site (imo) and it can drive some people away when used negatively. just yesterday there was a thumb-down hit on Surge5 and he got 30 thumb downs in a couple hours. Why, because he left 1.5 review on an incomplete niner. I assume that's why platforms like facebook never implemented it, because they determined that their bottom line would be effected with a resultant of less users. I admittedly liked the thumb-down feature on this site at first. but in hindsight and imo, the damage outweighs the benefits.

30 seems a bit excessive! I don't like the idea of reviewing a course that hasn't been finished yet, but I do think it is fine if the reviewer will come back and edit the review afterwards. Otherwise, that's what "Course Condition" is for, or at least what I'm looking for when I check it. I want reviews to tell me about design, equipment, and the feel of the course. But day-to-day, the maintenance, the stuff that can change, I feel like Conditions is a frequently updatable tool perfect for that kind of info. And does uDisc even have something like that?

Quote:
... Is there a way to align these two potentially non-parallel evaluation criteria?
By definition, those two non-parallel criteria intersect somewhere. Aligning them would make one of them redundant. What needs to happen, and frequently doesn't, is that both sets of data should be utilized to 'evaluate' a course for play. High ratings on Udisc? Check DGCR for reviews for more in-depth analysis. It's just like your critic vs. box-office analogy. If it gets good reviews and tons of people see it, I'm more likely to consider it. If it's only got good reviews, but nobody sees it, or conversely if it's a box-office darling but the reviews are poor, I'd need a third data point or more than likely I won't see the film. The same is true with DG courses. My third data point is likely a recommendation from another player.

...How can we promote greater use of DGCR? Especially as it pertains to attracting new users and encouraging more users to write reviews and update course conditions?
What are you doing now? I rock a bag tag and tell people who ask what the purpose of the site is and how it's helpful. I show players the site and its features. Maybe sponsor a hole at a local tourny and put it in DGCR's name?

.. And does uDisc even have something like that?
Yes, they do...Course conditions.

.. I admittedly liked the thumb-down feature on this site at first. but in hindsight and imo, the damage outweighs the benefits.
I disagree. I'm not thumbs-downing a course or a reviewer when I down-vote them. I'm indicating that I didn't find the review helpful or useful. Too short, no detail, full of platitudes, skewed by ability/inability, obviously written by a homer, etc. are all good reasons to down-vote a review. The goal, in my opinion, is to encourage good, thoughtful reviews on the site. Thumbs-down is a way to do that.

Notice I said, "a way". I'm open to hearing other ways to encourage better review quality. There are plenty of reviews on this site with the same lack of insight and critical thinking just like a typical Udisc review.

I'm not thumbs-downing a course or a reviewer when I down-vote them. I'm indicating that I didn't find the review helpful or useful. Too short, no detail, full of platitudes, skewed by ability/inability, obviously written by a homer, etc. are all good reasons to down-vote a review. The goal, in my opinion, is to encourage good, thoughtful reviews on the site. Thumbs-down is a way to do that.

i would agree that your points are indeed benefits to having a thumb down bottom. Not everyone holds to those ideals. Surge5 got 30 downvotes yesterday. his reviews don't meet any of that noted criteria.

surge5
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=92055

Last edited:
I use DGCR to post/read reviews and browse the forums for disc golf topics that interest me. Generally reviews here are way more detailed and had critical thought put into them.

I use UDisc to find courses, get directions and keep score. The live map while playing is why I use it for score keeping, I also like the shot by shot tracking. The avg rating and most reviews are useless but can be handy for recent course conditions or issues like construction.

agreed, I reported the abuse yesterday. It actually just got corrected a few minutes ago and the thumb option was disabled for a couple offending profiles.

Well thanks for posting it anyways. I went through his reviews and there isn't one that I would give a thumbs down to.

So I've been up-voting his reviews throughout the day. I'm not trying to "balance" anything out...his reviews stand on their own and deserve to be voted on accordingly.

i would agree that your points are indeed benefits to having a thumb down bottom. Not everyone holds to those ideals. Surge5 got 30 downvotes yesterday. his reviews don't meet any of that noted criteria.

surge5
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=92055

downvotes happen to good reviewers. it's the same thing as good courses that get the occasional hater review. it's part of the game on a public platform.

and it's really not an issue at all considering timg will delete those kinds of obvious vendetta voting streaks if you just bring it to his attention. sometimes he catches them on his own too, i've had that happen to me.

I have seen DGCR logos/flyers at several different courses I have played...
Maybe Tim has had the logo/flyer available for posting at courses,
if they were available people who like/use this site would post them.

The rest of the story

A UDisc representative replied to my email. He restored my review and several other reviews (several of which were "negative") that had been reported by the same individual.

Cool.

He added that they have some planned improvements for the ratings and reviews system to prevent against this kind of behavior in a future upgraded version of UDisc.

Cool.

DGCR still rules. :)

A UDisc representative replied to my email. He restored my review and several other reviews (several of which were "negative") that had been reported by the same individual.

Cool.

He added that they have some planned improvements for the ratings and reviews system to prevent against this kind of behavior in a future upgraded version of UDisc.

Cool.

DGCR still rules. :)

Looking at the last 4 reviews of the course, the ratings are 1.5, 2.5, 0.5, 0.5. Someone clearly didn't like seeing any low rating for the course.

Latest posts