• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Denver - best disc golf neighborhood?

ninjalectual1

I recently got a job in Denver, and I'm renting a spare bedroom in my boss's house for now, while I look for a more permanent place of my own. Be lives off of 84th and Wadsworth, and it seems to me that this is an ideal location for a disc golf fanatic like myself. Currently I'm 15 minutes or less from:
1. Badlands/Blair Witch
2. Westminster City Park
3. Johnny Roberts
3a. Red Rocks Community College (9 holes)
4. Interlocken and 4a. Midway (I haven't actually played either one yet)

I'm 20 mins or less from:
5. Bird's Nest
6. Lakewood Dry Gulch (or Paco Sanchez, as I prefer to call it!)
7. Superior Rock Creek (haven't played yet)

Cons, as I see it-
Courses to the east and south of Denver are as good as inaccessible, if I'm not over that way for other reasons. Expo Park, David Lorentz, Centre Hills, Green Valley, Village Green, all 40 mins away or more. I've only played 2 of those courses so I don't really know what I'm missing...

My favorite Denver course (so far), Fehringer Ranch, is a 35 minute drive south of here. I think the variety of courses near me together outweigh this one, though.

I'm also not considering access to highway 285 and the world class courses up by Bailey and Pine, but those aren't every day courses, and the drive from anywhere west of I-25 will be more or less the same, I think.

So, Denver golfers, is my Arvada/Westminster neighborhood the unequivocal best place to live in Denver, from a disc golfer's perspective? Or should I at least consider somewhere else as well?

I clicked this with the intent to say north denver. Sounds like you are about where you want to be. You are also a quick shot from the courses up north, or a quick shot up 76 to ft morgan.

One thing you are missing is the quick access to the mountains. Having quick access to 285 west would be cool. Maybe somewhere in Lakewood? Would put you closer to 470 but still close enough to Badlands and Johnny and putting you closer to Birds Nest (meh).

A couple of years ago I computed the service levels (how many and what size courses are nearby) for US cities.

attachment.php

The "peak" at the exact center of this map is about 3 miles southwest of 84th and Wadsworth. As you can see, the whole area around there is pretty good. I'd say pick the course around there you want to live closest to.

Attachments

• ArvadaCO80005.jpg
    ArvadaCO80005.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 126
When you mention Superior, Midway, and East Interlocken, I think you are thinking more quantity over quality. Those three are not terrific, Midway is especially poor. But you do live near two solid courses in Camenisch and Westminister. I would rather live near a few solid courses than multiple bad 9 hole courses.

I'm from that area, and I would say where you are now is about as good as you're going to get. Any other part of town, you will have the same problem as you are wondering about (is another area better?) Or, what Steve West said, just live close to the course you want to play the most.

move to the mountains

they're the only good courses around

Pros: Paco and Badlands are long, challenging courses. Guys who play either one a lot are usually pretty good at playing disc golf.
Cons: you live at 84th and Wadsworth. If you have a life beyond disc golf, that will put a kink in it.
Often as not, there is a real strain of "locals only" mentality just below the surface. Plus, the tattooed scalp set, and the sketchy underbelly of north denver (independent of the DG community) thrive here for some reason...I wouldn't play a night round at either of the long courses out of fear for offending some territorial nutcase. Bird's Nest is not THAT far out of your range, and is long, challenging, and feels much less threatening.

The North metro courses are generally shorter and more whitebread.
Superior is a dull, squared circle up and down a north facing slope. Lots of tall grass, loose baskets, and some $&#@! at the top of the hill where the apartments are lets Cujo use the open space as his litterbox. Bring gloves. I have nothing against dogs, but their owners are another matter.
Midway is a tight, multi-use park with private property and a busy parking lot on either side. Stay in tune or you're gonna make people mad. The challenge is good, though, I know some cats who throw regularly.
Interlocken (Properly East Park at the Interlocken business park) is charming. The alternate tees give you some long throws, and some treacherous water to cross. Very fun for night rounds. If you play according to Mile High's OB rules, it is a challenge.
Springvale is a little north and east for easy access from your area, but the back 9 are satisfying to throw on. The front give you a quick and easy putt putt round to tune up with.
The snobs are right: Mountain courses up the 285 corridor are of top quality. Unless you are able to work from home or are independently wealthy, mountain living might not be so darned easy.
That being said, if you want to center your life around DG, consider Pueblo. Since I first played there this Thanksgiving, I think about it often!

I've played a number of the "in town" Denver metro courses and have really found them to be underwhelming.

i didn't get to play that many of them but i did play Badlands, which is the highest rated course in the area at 3.25. i rated it a 2.5 and can't imagine it any better than a 2.75. elevation and the one water shot barely save it from absolute boredom. if Blair Witch were cleaned up, a single 27 hole course could eek out a 3.0 from me.

while some of the mountain courses are incredible, how often do most people get a chance to head out there? i would consider it a huge bummer to live in Denver, as far as disc golf is concerned. i think i'd rather live in Fort Collins. haven't been/played elsewhere in the state but from a quick glance the other cities don't look to have too much else going for them either.

i think i like CO better as a destination to go visit and play in the mountains than as a potential place to live and play DG on a regular basis.

Latest posts