• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Des Blasts Worlds

After skimming this thread, I have to say it's time to stop giving different rules for women than men. They already play in their own division, dont' insult them by dumbing down the game for them. This is insulting to most women (including the 3 sitting in this room with me). If they score worse than the men, so be it. Don't automatically assume they need a handicap like shorter tees.

Fritz said:
Yes Anika Sornenson, and she did qualify and she finished in the top 10.

It was a sponsors exemption and she missed the cut.

rgdg said:
Fritz said:

No that was the Asian chick that missed the cut after getting a sponsors exemption.

Her name escapes me because she is over hyped.

discmonkey42 said:
After skimming this thread, I have to say it's time to stop giving different rules for women than men. They already play in their own division, dont' insult them by dumbing down the game for them. This is insulting to most women (including the 3 sitting in this room with me). If they score worse than the men, so be it. Don't automatically assume they need a handicap like shorter tees.

I couldn't agree more.

Fritz said:
rgdg said:
Fritz said:

No that was the Asian chick that missed the cut after getting a sponsors exemption.

Her name escapes me because she is over hyped.
\

Michelle Wie?

You think she'd be complaining about this if she was winning?

Fritz said:
discmonkey42 said:

I couldn't agree more.

Right?

This isn't usually how it's played out is it? In other PDGA events with multiple (levels) tees? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. Can't watch it at work, but from what I'm hearing, she got reason to be peeved. She could smack around most of us out there, it kinda reeks of chauvinism, at this point at least.

I mean, they are PRO'S. They should play from the PRO tees.

bogies are free said:
Fritz said:
discmonkey42 said:

I couldn't agree more.

Right?

This isn't usually how it's played out is it? In other PDGA events with multiple (levels) tees? I don't know, that's why I'm asking. Can't watch it at work, but from what I'm hearing, she got reason to be peeved. She could smack around most of us out there, it kinda reeks of chauvinism, at this point at least.

Every single tournament I've played in this year, the Women threw fromt eh same tees as the men. The only divisions that had gimped tees were Juniors and Rec.

And yes I think Des would be complaining if she was winning. I've met her many times and she always speaks her mind.

Fritz said:
bogies are free said:
Fritz said:
discmonkey42 said:

I couldn't agree more.

Right?

Every single tournament I've played in this year, the Women threw fromt eh same tees as the men. The only divisions that had gimped tees were Juniors and Rec.

And yes I think Des would be complaining if she was winning. I've met her many times and she always speaks her mind.

Then what is up with this? (rhetorical)

complaining if winning: absolutely. Nothing but a super ambassador to the sport.

bogies are free said:
Fritz said:
bogies are free said:
Fritz said:
discmonkey42 said:

I couldn't agree more.

Right?

Then what is up with this? (rhetorical)

complaining if winning: absolutely. Nothing but a super ambassador to the sport.

What do you mean, what's up with this?

Fritz said:
I also agree with the trees in the middle of a fairway, that's BS/

1. Stoopid trees, they should cut them all down.

2. They're playing the white tees on ONE course, and it's certainly not a pitch and putt from the shorties.

asdf said:
Fritz said:
I also agree with the trees in the middle of a fairway, that's BS/

1. Stoopid trees, they should cut them all down.

2. They're playing the white tees on ONE course, and it's certainly not a pitch and putt from the shorties.

Seriously tho, if you have a "fairway" and you hit the gap perfectly, you shouldn't have a tree in your way! How many ball golf courses have Trees dead smack in the middle of the fairway?

The white tee is a total insult.

edit: On the fairway issue.
If you cut a fairway, and you are able to land in the fairway, it's suppose to benefit you, not hurt you. It's a reward to hit the hole perfect and get that sweet fairway shot. There shouldn't be the option of bad luck when you hit a perfect shot of landing behind a tree in the middle of a fairway. That's complete BS.

Maybe time/schedule considerations had to be made also. Yes the woman can play from the longest tees, but they will take more strokes and more time.

Fritz said:
edit: On the fairway issue.
If you cut a fairway, and you are able to land in the fairway, it's suppose to benefit you, not hurt you. It's a reward to hit the hole perfect and get that sweet fairway shot. There shouldn't be the option of bad luck when you hit a perfect shot of landing behind a tree in the middle of a fairway. That's complete BS.
i agree 100%
There are a few courses in my area that just dont understand this. I am all for creating challenging holes on the course, but sticking holes in the middle of the woods without sculpting a fairway takes the skill aspect out of the game and adds in more luck. The lucky shot wins over the best shot 90% of the time on these kinds of holes, and I think that does nothing but hurt the game. Its bad enough to have these on local courses, but on a "Pro caliber" course its ridiculous.

Jerry R said:
Maybe time/schedule considerations had to be made also. Yes the woman can play from the longest tees, but they will take more strokes and more time.

I disagree, we had no time issues with the women's divisions at Am World's.

Yeah Chris, there are a few holes at Lazarre that are sort of poke and hope. I remember having an ace run on one of them but some random small tree in front of the basket kicked it the opposite direction. I understand the point of having the basket guarded on it but damn.

Slightly off topic but having that one basket on the Highwater course(hole 2 maybe?) right on the river is kind of dumb. I like hazards such as having a basket on the edge of the cliff but having it where you can putt and go OB/lose your putter in water like that is pretty dumb. All it could take is a nasty spit and you could lose your putter. Even if you lay up it could kick off of one of those roots and go in the river. Arg, I hate that spot. Sorry for going off topic there.

Fritz said:
[

What do you mean, what's up with this?

I was just wondering why they moved the Pro women to shorter tees. Perhaps they have good reasons, like someone mentioning for time constraints or something, but still, I don't know. Oh well. I'm sure this will continue to develop.

Personally, I think Des is just pissed cuz these types of courses take her out of her advantageous game. She can bomb it. With that advantage gone, she has to shoot just as fine a line as everyone else. Des just has sour grapes cuz Angie has her by 9 strokes.

-- Animix

Great topic - lots of discussion :)

I, too, feel that the Pro women should play off the pro men's tees. No reason not to. The score has nothing to do with par and is just stroke count.

I disagree with Bruce's comment that shortening the distance to an opening would be better. I believe if you're a 950 player, it's because of your skill. If someone is a 600 player, they're not going to hit a hole just because it's closer. I'd be more inclined to think that the pro women would 3 and the ams would 4 (instead of 2 and 3).

There used to be few women in the pro field, but there are a lot more younger girls now coming up and giving Des a run for her money. It's just taken longer.

As many have said - the tournament structure in Disc Golf is in need of an overhaul. It's just not the same sport with the same players as it used to be. The best insight I read was somebody - maybe Schultz, saying that it's no longer non-athletes playing disc golf. Now, we're getting athletes from all different sports coming to disc golf and turning it on it's ear. A prime example is somebody like me that was athletic, but didn't really play many organized sports. I went straight to backhand instead of forehand. I still can't throw 350', but some college kid that pitched in high school will pick up a disc and in a week he's throwing over 300'.... but I digress. Bottom line is the pro women are not like the Am men.

Latest posts