• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Des Blasts Worlds

MDR_3000 said:
Ok, it seems I'm the only one on here that has played Woodland Bear. It is not a luck course. If there are trees in the fairway it's a big tree (easily avoidable) and the holes that this happens on are only 160 - 180 feet. It's not like you're throwing down a 400' fairway and have to avoid this tree at 350'.

But the basket in the tree was kind of dumb.

Not trying to be an ass, but since you have played it, would you consider Des' comment that it's not a "World's" calibur course true? Do you think it shows off the best of our players?

One of the guys on our local messageboard was at Worlds and said he played a round at Woodland Bear during a break. He said he agreed with Des 100% but also added that they interviewed her right after a bad round so she probably came off harsher than she needed to be.

black udder said:
MDR_3000 said:
Ok, it seems I'm the only one on here that has played Woodland Bear. It is not a luck course. If there are trees in the fairway it's a big tree (easily avoidable) and the holes that this happens on are only 160 - 180 feet. It's not like you're throwing down a 400' fairway and have to avoid this tree at 350'.

Not trying to be an ass, but since you have played it, would you consider Des' comment that it's not a "World's" calibur course true? Do you think it shows off the best of our players?

It depends on what you mean by "world's caliber". Some people think it has to be the longest of the long...some say it's a course where multiple skills are needed. And Woodland Bear you need a lot of throws to be able to play it well. Nobody has mentioned that 7 or 8 of the holes are 400-600 par 4s and 5s (which are very very cool). That's what balanced the course out. If it was just those short holes I would say it wasn't worlds caliber..but since it was mixed with the Bear course, I say it was.

I don't get it.
Was the basket guarded by branches?
Was it free swinging in the breaze?

If it was anchored so the breaze wouldn't move it, and hanging so it clear of branches 360 deg...then what's the big deal?

Everyone that afraid of a forced uphill putt (er...defined as basket at higher elevation than you lie)?
Is uphill putting not a skill that 'World Class' golfers should have?

Think of an upside down tripod. The trunks were about 1.5 feet in diameter and the basket was wedged inside of the three trunks and the basket was about 7-8 feet high. So if you got on the green there was a chance you would have no putt, you could always try to ricochet it off of the tree into the basket.

While I think Des was probably half fuelled by just shooting a poor round, I have to agree with one of her remarks...

That basket was SOOO putt-putt disc golf.

I'm fairly new to the game in general, so my comments don't mean much. But everyone seems to make a big deal about Des's power, it seems to me she just didn't like playing short game where others can do as well. She even said something to the effect of, it's not pro if you are throwing a Roc off the tee.

So basically what I heard was, "I don't like it if I don't get to monster drive". Markus was blunt about liking blue valley because he could rip monster drives. People like to play to their strengths. To me it looked like des was in poor taste

overrall, that basket in the trees seems like the most valid complaint (i personally havent seen the course)

and that basket cost her a round with those spits, so yeah,,, its an issue.

I don't think the basket spit out her putt...it was more of she could never get a clean look at the basket and tried to make the putt anyways and paid for it.

lock-off said:
overrall, that basket in the trees seems like the most valid complaint (i personally havent seen the course)

and that basket cost her a round with those spits, so yeah,,, its an issue.

She somehow failed to place it in the basket on her second putt if you watch the video, I bet that got her pissed more than anything.

MDR_3000 said:
I don't think the basket spit out her putt...it was more of she could never get a clean look at the basket and tried to make the putt anyways and paid for it.

That's what it looked like from the video. With a basket like that, if you don't have a clean look, it seems like you should just lay it up (even from 20-30 feet) if you've got no look. I'm not saying that's what a hole at worlds should be or anything, but it seems to be the smartest way to play it.

MDR_3000 said:
black udder said:
MDR_3000 said:

It depends on what you mean by "world's caliber". Some people think it has to be the longest of the long...some say it's a course where multiple skills are needed. And Woodland Bear you need a lot of throws to be able to play it well. Nobody has mentioned that 7 or 8 of the holes are 400-600 par 4s and 5s (which are very very cool). That's what balanced the course out. If it was just those short holes I would say it wasn't worlds caliber..but since it was mixed with the Bear course, I say it was.

See...the way the interview/her comments sounded, it made it appear the course was full of 300' or less holes, in which case she'd be using a Roc the whole round. Another comment she makes on another dvd is that she believes the par 4's and 5's are the best showcase of DG talent - length and skill required.

After watching the Skylands though, it's hard to believe the difference in scores between her and the rest of the field. Burl lost by 3, but the next scores were like 12 and 20 or more away. She absolutely dominated the field.

Now, if you get used to that, I guess you'd be a little testy if anybody came *near* your score! :)

Thanks for the info on the course. It does sound more like she was frustrated and blasted the course for the sake of a few holes.

I didn't understand why she was upset that she was throwing rocs and putters off the tee all the time. I'm happy when I can throw my putter off the tee. In fact I threw my putter off the tee on more than half of the holes in highbridge gold, does that make it an inferior course?

MDR_3000 said:
I didn't understand why she was upset that she was throwing rocs and putters off the tee all the time. I'm happy when I can throw my putter off the tee. In fact I threw my putter off the tee on more than half of the holes in highbridge gold, does that make it an inferior course?

And just how far were you throwing that putter?

MDR_3000 said:

I think it goes back to her opinion on what makes a "gold standard" course; that being par 4 and par 5 holes -- long, difficult holes, not short precise ones.

After watching skylands, it's amazing how much further the men throw and how much more accurate the top men are over the top women (that played at least). I can see a bad day, but overall it was surprising.

I think her biggest beef was how they insulted the Pro woman by making them play from gimped tee's. That in itself I 100% agree with is insulting. Am world's the woman and juniors played form the same tees as the men.
Why on earth would they gimp tee pads for a woman's pro event. Those long holes were gone for the ladies because of this gimpage.

The tree hanging in between "the upside down tripod" (I like that description) was retarded and very much putt putt golf and had no place in a world championship. For a casual fun round, sure that would be neat to play, but not for a championship. Also if you look that basket isn't even square in the trees.

I've played with Des before and I really don't think it was sour grapes (maybe a tad, but more directed at herself, at the end she did say, I earned a 62) she was a class act when I had the chance to play a round with her and Jay and I still think she's a class act.

Again I really think what set her off was the gimped tee pads.

Fritz said:
I think her biggest beef was how they insulted the Pro woman by making them play from gimped tee's. That in itself I 100% agree with is insulting.

Again I really think what set her off was the gimped tee pads.

mswerd.gif

I would be pretty mad if I was forced to use the gimped pads too.

Latest posts