• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Des Moines trip, limited time solo

you missed out skipping Fong's.

Funny there must be another disc golf club meeting going on somewhere I'm not aware of. At the actual Des Moines Disc Golf Club meetings over the last few months, we have been discussing NOT closing the course, so as to not give the city the opportunity to say they don't want it anymore once the construction on Indianola Road is completed.

The road is getting widened, and a bike trail is being installed through the front side of the course which we are working with them to hopefully not make it intrusive to the course.

There is a parking lot on the northwest side of the course off McKinley Ave that we will most likely need to use for a while and perhaps we will install some temp holes to connect to hole 4. This is all still in the works, but don't expect the course to "close" - just will be a little different and less accessible for a couple summers.

you missed out skipping Fong's.

Funny there must be another disc golf club meeting going on somewhere I'm not aware of. At the actual Des Moines Disc Golf Club meetings over the last few months, we have been discussing NOT closing the course, so as to not give the city the opportunity to say they don't want it anymore once the construction on Indianola Road is completed.

The road is getting widened, and a bike trail is being installed through the front side of the course which we are working with them to hopefully not make it intrusive to the course.

There is a parking lot on the northwest side of the course off McKinley Ave that we will most likely need to use for a while and perhaps we will install some temp holes to connect to hole 4. This is all still in the works, but don't expect the course to "close" - just will be a little different and less accessible for a couple summers.

VERY glad to hear that Ewing isn't closing, as I would really like to get a chance to play it next Spring when it isn't 35 degrees out playing by myself:clap:

I am glad to hear it is not closing, also. Still gonna try to play it tomorrow on my way back to Iowa City from Kansas City, I think.

Early afternoon, anyone? :)

Bumping this thread because the title is perfect. I will be there on a Sunday afternoon this month(May) and can play one, but maybe two rounds. Pick my no brainer, then I will consult the map after that if I have time before heading to Court Ave Brewing by 7.

Bumping this thread because the title is perfect. I will be there on a Sunday afternoon this month(May) and can play one, but maybe two rounds. Pick my no brainer, then I will consult the map after that if I have time before heading to Court Ave Brewing by 7.

Damn it, had me wondering what happened to Ewing Park before I noticed the dates on the posts. :doh:

Curious to see what replies you get since I last played that area. Ewing Park and Walnut Ridge are two contenders I would toss in the hat. Probably my two favorites of the few Iowa courses I have played in the Des Moines area. :thmbup:

ive only played grandview uni grandview park crivaro and ewing

ill sound like a hater but they all were park model and i found them all boring

someone said i played the wrong ones and the moar wooded ones are becky z walnut ridge and big creek

I would recommend Big Creek and Walnut Ridge. They're not in Des Moines proper but close by. I've played BC and really liked it. Didn't have time for WR, but drove through the park for a look see and I was a bit sorry I didn't play that instead.

Ewing is a good bomber course, Grandview a shorter park course but decently fun, Crivaro was just something to bag, imo.

No events in Des Moines area May 15th.
If the weather is good Grandview and Ewing could be pretty full in the afternoon. Pickard (DGPT site) does not see much traffic if you want a private air your arm out experience. New gold launch pads for DGPT coming May 25th though. Walnut is a lovely rolling park with risk. Big Creek can busy be earlier in afternoon. Becky Zallek has some rough terrain and about needs a course guide and a first aid kit.
I would suggest Walnut or Ewing depending on where you are starting from with an option for a stop at Big Creek or Grandview. If possible start at 10 at Big Creek and 9 at Grandview to get the best part of the course in.
Maps on DGCR are old for Grandview and Ewing, see udisc. Walnut has more interesting basket approaches than Ewing imho.
Pickard is cool, but raw driving distance to generous fairway landing zones is too frequent. Big arm or a blah time.

The trip is this weekend. Really want to avoid crowds, so looking like Walnut or Pickard. I actually love the open courses that some here do not favor.

The trip is this weekend. Really want to avoid crowds, so looking like Walnut or Pickard. I actually love the open courses that some here do not favor.

While the new DGPT layout isn't finalized at Pickard (they're working on new pads right now I believe), I think you can still play the "Gold" layout which is significantly longer than Walnut, and all layouts are significantly more "open" than Walnut. Walnut has a mix of open and wooded holes, but very few "just bomb it" holes. Gold layout at Pickard has plenty of bomber holes.

When I play Walnut from the long tees there are really only 2 holes that I can just rip a drive as hard as I can without any real regard for hitting a specific line. Pickard might have to hit throwing "a big anny", but it's a big anny into a big opening followed by a big fairway.

The benefit of Walnut is that Big Creek is nearby. Not a bomber course. Shorter, mostly wooded course which I would classify as more "casual" than Walnut or Pickard.

OK, so I got to play three rounds. First one was at Ewing. I did not plan well, and didn't know the baskets were mostly in the long positions. Had I known, I would probably have played the short pads. Still, I really enjoyed it.

I then got to play two rounds at Grandview Park. Loved it! I was able to play with two local guys who were great to play with. On the second round, I had a load of new discs From Titan. Such a great store. Really wish i could have played one more round, but just could not fit it in. Thanks to all for the advice.

OK, so I got to play three rounds. First one was at Ewing. I did not plan well, and didn't know the baskets were mostly in the long positions. Had I known, I would probably have played the short pads. Still, I really enjoyed it.

I then got to play two rounds at Grandview Park. Loved it! I was able to play with two local guys who were great to play with. On the second round, I had a load of new discs From Titan. Such a great store. Really wish i could have played one more round, but just could not fit it in. Thanks to all for the advice.

One Question: What were your drive approaches at Grandview #9 (old 10) ?
It's tee has a bench and by a practice basket. Shortish downhill over a road to a big mound with road to right, valley left, guard tree in front and a drop off to weedy rough behind )
It is a hole with pressure to park the drive playing for score. I currently one step rhfh a Roc just to left of tree planning to hit safe flat ground left of basket to tap. Seen my own and countless rounds blown apart with 4-6s and 3s painful on the card.

One Question: What were your drive approaches at Grandview #9 (old 10) ?
It's tee has a bench and by a practice basket. Shortish downhill over a road to a big mound with road to right, valley left, guard tree in front and a drop off to weedy rough behind )
It is a hole with pressure to park the drive playing for score. I currently one step rhfh a Roc just to left of tree planning to hit safe flat ground left of basket to tap. Seen my own and countless rounds blown apart with 4-6s and 3s painful on the card.

I miss played that hole badly both rounds. I do not commonly play that much slope here in central La. I over disced both times. My best shot was with an MVP Relay, but if I had gotten to play again, I would have been throwing one of my mids.

Latest posts