• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deserted Island Disc Golf

Mark Ellis said:
Dear God,

Damn nice of you to grant me the private Tropical Island disc golf course. But if the island is deserted then no thanks. I have never played a round of golf by myself and am not about to start now. I need a steady stream of buddies to compete against. Golf by myself makes no sense to me.

Now this whole limited disc thing is just silly. It is an unnatural restriction without logical or competitive basis. I could tie my wrists together and play the game too but that makes no sense either.

But if restriction and deprivation will improve my spiritual being then during the regularly scheduled tournaments on my private Island paradise we will restrict the beer selection to brands and styles only of my personal choosing and preference. No Miller Lite. No fruity beers. No wine spritzers, either.

Preregistration for the IPA Series of disc golf tournaments is not required. An invite is.

And btw, thank you ever so much, God.
You're drunk Mark Ellis.

I can't believe you have never played a round by yourself.

5 - Wizard, Roc, PD, XXX, Nuke
4 - Wizard, Roc, PD, XXX
3 - Wizard, Roc, PD
2 - Wizard, Roc
1 - Roc

Teebird - Force - Buzzz - Zone - R-Pro Aviar
Teebird - Buzzz - Zone - R-Pro Aviar
Teebird - Buzzz - R-Pro Aviar
Buzzz - KC Pro Aviar
Buzzz

5) Wizard, Demon, Squall, PD, Pro Destroyer
4) Wizard, Demon, Squall, PD
3) Wizard, Squall, PD
2) Wizard, PD
1) Squall

Dig It said:
Mark Ellis said:
Dear God,

Damn nice of you to grant me the private Tropical Island disc golf course. But if the island is deserted then no thanks. I have never played a round of golf by myself and am not about to start now. I need a steady stream of buddies to compete against. Golf by myself makes no sense to me.

Now this whole limited disc thing is just silly. It is an unnatural restriction without logical or competitive basis. I could tie my wrists together and play the game too but that makes no sense either.

But if restriction and deprivation will improve my spiritual being then during the regularly scheduled tournaments on my private Island paradise we will restrict the beer selection to brands and styles only of my personal choosing and preference. No Miller Lite. No fruity beers. No wine spritzers, either.

Preregistration for the IPA Series of disc golf tournaments is not required. An invite is.

And btw, thank you ever so much, God.
You're drunk Mark Ellis.

I can't believe you have never played a round by yourself.

Well I have been drunk but I wasn't when I wrote this.

What is the point of playing a round by yourself?

a get away
personal benefit
stress reducer
practice

the list is virtually endless

mpalcic said:
a get away
personal benefit
stress reducer
practice

That is all very nice. But if you are not present then I cannot win your money. :D

Golf is a competitive activity. I am a competitive kind of guy. It sounds like you are describing yoga or meditation or taking hot baths or taking Valium or something. If ever my life becomes meaningless of infinitely boring then I will do a thorough exploration of all these stress reducers and find inner peace and enlightenment. I sorta hope I die first. :lol:

I play better golf when I put $5 or whatever on a round. Keeps me focused instead of dicking around and throwing shots just for the hell of it.

Mark Ellis said:
mpalcic said:
a get away
personal benefit
stress reducer
practice

That is all very nice. But if you are not present then I cannot win your money. :D

Golf is a competitive activity. I am a competitive kind of guy. It sounds like you are describing yoga or meditation or taking hot baths or taking Valium or something. If ever my life becomes meaningless of infinitely boring then I will do a thorough exploration of all these stress reducers and find inner peace and enlightenment. I sorta hope I die first. :lol:
Isn't the point of golf competing against yourself?

5 - Destroyer, Valkyrie, Teebird, Roc, KC Pro Aviar
4 - Destroyer, Teebird, Roc, KC Pro Aviar
3 - Teebird, Roc, Aviar
2 - Teebird, Roc
1 - Roc

Predator, Teebird, Roc, Comet, Challenger
Teebird, Roc, Comet, Challenger
Teebird, Roc, Challenger
Roc, Challenger
Roc

wait, whut?

Mr. Plow said:
Mark Ellis said:
mpalcic said:
a get away
personal benefit
stress reducer
practice

Golf is a competitive activity. I am a competitive kind of guy. It sounds like you are describing yoga or meditation or taking hot baths or taking Valium or something.

Let's agree we're all different in personal philosophy and motivations for disc golf and life.

Mark, to avoid the argument, just consider that it's not deserted, but rather a magical disc golf island that you can play for eternity with your friends. I just meant that if you could only have 5,4,...,1 discs for the rest of forever, to play any and every conceivable disc golf hole, what would you bring?

Holla,

J

I like what Mark Ellis said.

I still play by myself sometimes. Which I do because I'm competitive. Next time my buddies all play together, I'll be the one kicking ass because I've spent more time practicing (alone).

Still though, I see where he's coming from. He's also probably a better disc golfer than 99% of this board, and I'd almost bet he's more experienced than 100% of this board. I'd say not spending more time practicing alone hasn't cost him too badly.

JackMontana said:
Mr. Plow said:
Mark Ellis said:
mpalcic said:
a get away
personal benefit
stress reducer
practice

Golf is a competitive activity. I am a competitive kind of guy. It sounds like you are describing yoga or meditation or taking hot baths or taking Valium or something.

Let's agree we're all different in personal philosophy and motivations for disc golf and life.

Mark, to avoid the argument, just consider that it's not deserted, but rather a magical disc golf island that you can play for eternity with your friends. I just meant that if you could only have 5,4,...,1 discs for the rest of forever, to play any and every conceivable disc golf hole, what would you bring?

Holla,

J

Avoid arguments?? This is the internet. I could be wrong but I think the second most important purpose of the internet is to argue about things great and small.

So do I compete against myself? Not really. I compete against other players. Competition is the fun part of the equation. The fun matches are the ones you CAN win if you play well and WILL lose if you suck. If you do play well and the match comes down to the last putt then that is a great match, win or lose.

I judge how well I play by my own standards and playing well is more important than winning. I have no control over my competitors, so whatever they do is whatever they do. I should have control of myself and I expect to throw good shots (based on the standards I have for myself). Playing poorly is not fun even if I win.

I am not going to wake up tomorrow and throw 500 feet. So If my drive is clean and solid but woefully short of 500 feet I am not disappointed with it, even if everyone else on my card can throw that far. If I throw a 1000 rated round, that is good for me, even if others expect to top 1050.

So I don't play rounds by myself. If there is no one to play with I practice instead.

Evidently Jack Montana is tight with God, so now my island paradise is no longer deserted. Nice job, Jack. Can I also get my discs which land in the ocean to float back to shore? Or am I already pushing it too much?

So which discs??

I don't know. For players who are actually good they just shape their shots as needed. I need a bit more help than that. I need specialty discs. I need wind discs. At a bare minimum I need 3 putters, 3 mids and 3 drivers (ya know, one each of overstable, straight and understable). But since I'm getting the island for free and all:

Z Crush, Z Flash, Rogue, Z Buzzz and Magnet.

Damn, I just left off the Nuke and Rattler, my most exceptional discs. I don't have an overstable or a flippy mid in the line-up.

If I had to narrow down to a single disc it would be the Flash in mild air and the Crush in strong winds.

And for all the nice things mentioned by Ryan C, I'm not sure what to say: my buddies usually only talk me up is when they want me to give them strokes.

I agree with Mark, and I'm actually glad to see a successful golfer with a similar take on it.

I've golfed by myself plenty - but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as when I play with others(friends especially). Maybe in that sense I'm competitive first, and a disc golfer second.

My ideal round is playing with somebody who has a creative, strong game - and is maybe 3-5 strokes better than me on average.(pretty arbitrary number, the idea is to just have to push myself to compete and get better.)