• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Picked up 2 lightweight mcbeth stars, a 138 penned and a 163 empossed. These discs are very fun to use.
The 138 was very understable out of the box, probably more so than my beat in blizzard destroyer at the same weight. Great for rollers and hyzerflip to turnovers.
The 163 is straight as an arrow with a soft fade at the end. Great for tunnelshots and wind-free distance shots.

This is one of the molds where experimenting with weights can be really fun.

I'm so tempted to pick one of these lightweight Destroyers. How do they compare to Blizzard Destroyers?

I think they're a *little* more consistent than Blizzard, at least relative to the run they come from. When penned 4x McBeth Destroyers were ultra beefy, I bought a couple 159's that are also ultra beefy. Now with the embossed run being more mellow, I've got an embossed 163 that had some nice turn right out of the box. It's just a couple data points, but I think Innova has learned to make lightweight Star discs in a way that is generally a bit more consistent than Blizzard.

Anyone know how common it is for the older run destroyers to be penned just SD, not S/ds or *DS. The disc in question is a Proto destroyer if that matters. Does this affect value at all?

Anyone know how common it is for the older run destroyers to be penned just SD, not S/ds or *DS. The disc in question is a Proto destroyer if that matters. Does this affect value at all?

No clue, but I've got an older Star Destroyer that was just penned DS as well so I know there are some aberrations out there. I doubt it affects value much honestly. If it's a proto star, then that fact combined with the condition is going to be most of your value right there. I doubt anyone pays up extra for odd pen marks when proto Star Destroyers already go for quite a bit.

No clue, but I've got an older Star Destroyer that was just penned DS as well so I know there are some aberrations out there. I doubt it affects value much honestly. If it's a proto star, then that fact combined with the condition is going to be most of your value right there. I doubt anyone pays up extra for odd pen marks when proto Star Destroyers already go for quite a bit.

Thanks! I didn't think it would really increase the value, but you never know with the collector market. haha I just couldn't remember seeing any penned like that and was curious.

The only ones that I have ever heard of being marked SD were the first batches of the protos. I think they were less common then the *D but that Im not certain on.

If it's the protostar stamp, it's got value as a collector, regardless of the factory ink. (Not sure if they were all "SD", or if there were other runs that had that penned...doesn't matter tho.) In almost any condition, someone will want to collect and/or throw it.

The only ones that I have ever heard of being marked SD were the first batches of the protos. I think they were less common then the *D but that Im not certain on.

Hmm, that's interesting. I wonder if that is the case? Would be cool to find out. I've also heard that some of the workers just penned them differently which is why there are variations, s/ds, *ds, and SD. Definitely think SD would be the least common at least from what I've seen.

Maybe it would be worth more to right collector if that is true.
Yeah, definitely possible, but who knows.

If it's the protostar stamp, it's got value as a collector, regardless of the factory ink. (Not sure if they were all "SD", or if there were other runs that had that penned...doesn't matter tho.) In almost any condition, someone will want to collect and/or throw it.

Yep, I know it's definitely got some good value regardless. :thmbup:

Proto front by Sean Farrell, on Flickr

proto back by Sean Farrell, on Flickr

Threw a bottom stamp star Destroyer for the first time today. I'm not sure if there are any differences between these and the regular McBeth stamped Destroyers, but I really dug the bottom stamp one. It had a good dome. Not flat at all.

It had great glide and enough high speed turn to flex out for long bombs. It seemed less dumpy than a McBeth Destroyer. It was a new disc too, embossed.

I know Destroyers can be all over the place for stability, but this one was perfect. It flew much like the first run proto stars.

Threw a bottom stamp star Destroyer for the first time today. I'm not sure if there are any differences between these and the regular McBeth stamped Destroyers, but I really dug the bottom stamp one. It had a good dome. Not flat at all.

It had great glide and enough high speed turn to flex out for long bombs. It seemed less dumpy than a McBeth Destroyer. It was a new disc too, embossed.

I know Destroyers can be all over the place for stability, but this one was perfect. It flew much like the first run proto stars.

I have a 167 bottom stamp, embossed, and it's a meathook. I'm still really digging AJs and PFN destroyers. Based on my sample size, they just fly straighter and seem to have more glide than the 4x.

I have a 167 bottom stamp, embossed, and it's a meathook. I'm still really digging AJs and PFN destroyers. Based on my sample size, they just fly straighter and seem to have more glide than the 4x.

I've found some good McBeths, but I agree most of them are really beefy. I think it can be said that Destroyers are all over the place as far as stability goes. To figure out which ones are good you actually have to throw them.

All my favorite Destroyers are about 10 years old. When the mold first came out I loved them all. Over time Destroyers seem to have gotten noticeably more overstable.

I own 10 embossed destroyers at the moment. I have never own a single destroyer before 4x era. I got one of the previous pmcbeth run destroyers and did not liked it at all. Too beefy.

The embossed ones weigh from 168gr to 175gr. All have quite similar profile. Only one has visibly higher plh and it's the lightest but the beefiest one. And one has sort of a blizzardy rim weighing still 170 gr. And this one is not so stable. It's good for annies or hyzer flips. My max distance is around 430 feet.
The rest are quite copies of each other except in weight. Lighter ones are 171 gr and heavier 175 gr.

What I love in these discs are the fact that they have incredible glide. Yesterday I had a field training and I threw these destroyers and DD's Sheriff's that were my go to discs last year when my arm was worse than what it is now. Sheriffs flew in the same spot when I threw them in hyzerflips than the destroyers in pure hyzer lines. There's something magical in the forward pushing fade that destroyers have and no other disc I have thrown before has had. I'm okay with the fact that destroyers are all over the map when it comes to stability. The glide is just phenomenal.

Just adding to the abbreviations discussion. These are both from mid 2008. Red is *D, white is *Ds. Both fly like the sweet first runs! Love these suckers!
a39af91c1e8bea8b6ef17bcce71c95b3.jpg
d66c56870188b11ca1acaa190008424a.jpg
88c65807ef9b90f2e9261b81bc7bffbb.jpg
6d882b61640945afbed17f443296e5a4.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I own 10 embossed destroyers at the moment. I have never own a single destroyer before 4x era. I got one of the previous pmcbeth run destroyers and did not liked it at all. Too beefy.

The embossed ones weigh from 168gr to 175gr. All have quite similar profile. Only one has visibly higher plh and it's the lightest but the beefiest one. And one has sort of a blizzardy rim weighing still 170 gr. And this one is not so stable. It's good for annies or hyzer flips. My max distance is around 430 feet.
The rest are quite copies of each other except in weight. Lighter ones are 171 gr and heavier 175 gr.

What I love in these discs are the fact that they have incredible glide. Yesterday I had a field training and I threw these destroyers and DD's Sheriff's that were my go to discs last year when my arm was worse than what it is now. Sheriffs flew in the same spot when I threw them in hyzerflips than the destroyers in pure hyzer lines. There's something magical in the forward pushing fade that destroyers have and no other disc I have thrown before has had. I'm okay with the fact that destroyers are all over the map when it comes to stability. The glide is just phenomenal.

I agree the newer embossed Destroyers are more glidey and overall manageable than the older McBeths. I haven't tried one I hated yet, let's put it that way. I've probably thrown the same number of them as you.

CORRECTION: Brinster splatter Destroyer. Embossed and it flies like a manhole cover. Brutally beefy. All other embossed Destroyers are good.

Did anyone pick up the Narwhal stamped Destroyers from DGU? I got mine today and they are TASTY.

JPCGIxU.png

I went for the 170-172g range since that's my favorite and they have a great pop top as usual.

Narwhals narwhals
In a spinning motion
Causing a commotion
'Cause they are so awesome

Haha I'm so mad I didnt score one. One of the few stamps I'd truly love to own. Wanna sell me one? Of course you don't. Narwhals travel in pods and need company!

I have tossed my fair share of them now and generally I am pretty happy. For a bit I asked for pop top ones in my orders and those ones were pigs. More overstable than my brinster ones that I have, but that was my own fault for asking for them. The ones I have gotten that have a more mild shape have been nice for sure. I just got my first one that has turn in it out of the box, but it was really refreshing to throw that and just see it go. The rest of them I can just rip hard and they hold however I threw it for a bit and then finish very predictably. I tried throwing some other molds but the distance and consistency of a destroyer is just too nice to throw anything else.

Narwhals narwhals
In a spinning motion
Causing a commotion
'Cause they are so awesome

Haha I'm so mad I didnt score one. One of the few stamps I'd truly love to own. Wanna sell me one? Of course you don't. Narwhals travel in pods and need company!

Not gonna lie, this song has been played several times since the order came in.