• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

2020 Heimburg Destroyers are up. They are apparently super domey. How does that typically affect things?

https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/swirled-star-destroyer-calvin-heimburg-tour-series.html

You never know with a Destroyer. Usually more dome = better glide. As for stability, its a toss up. I've seen super overstable flat Destroyers, and super overstable domey ones.

I look for Destroyers that fly true to the numbers. I want that -1 turn, and I want the disc to actually hold that turn for a bit. Innova has a nasty habit of releasing lots of Destroyers that are more like 12, 4, 0, 3. Those are not fun to throw, and they don't go anywhere.

You never know with a Destroyer. Usually more dome = better glide. As for stability, its a toss up. I've seen super overstable flat Destroyers, and super overstable domey ones.

I look for Destroyers that fly true to the numbers. I want that -1 turn, and I want the disc to actually hold that turn for a bit. Innova has a nasty habit of releasing lots of Destroyers that are more like 12, 4, 0, 3. Those are not fun to throw, and they don't go anywhere.

The plus side to this, if you know what to look for in wing shape and height, is that you can find any piece to a cycle. So long as you have the luxury of hand picking them.

The plus side to this, if you know what to look for in wing shape and height, is that you can find any piece to a cycle. So long as you have the luxury of hand picking them.

Wing shape, Dome height and the nose height or part that the top and wing come togther on fairway drivers on up. Also weight can be important for some. Like me with liking the Champion and not getting the over 167 gram discs as the Around 170 gram plus discs in Champion take for me too much power to throw right.

Last edited:
Which destroyer is off the shelf most understable, not counting dx?

Echo Star Destroyer. I have found few old ones with the robot stamp. I have two beat in that are pure hyzerflip to roller discs, one domey that is pretty stable and two light green that are really straight have ton of glide. Problem is that in slight headwind they all turn and don't fade back.

Echo Star Destroyer. I have found few old ones with the robot stamp. I have two beat in that are pure hyzerflip to roller discs, one domey that is pretty stable and two light green that are really straight have ton of glide. Problem is that in slight headwind they all turn and don't fade back.

E* or G* Destroyers are generally less stable than regular stars or champions.

One thing to note though, recent Ricky star Destroyers are coming out somewhat flippy. Nothing like 4X McBeths (those things were pure beef).

Might have to snag a few of those flippy ones. I have a F2 AJ Destroyer that is perfect right now but I'm almost afraid to throw it because I have nothing like it.

E* or G* Destroyers are generally less stable than regular stars or champions.

One thing to note though, recent Ricky star Destroyers are coming out somewhat flippy. Nothing like 4X McBeths (those things were pure beef).

Are you talking about the SockiBot or the regular 2x stamp Destroyers for the more understable flight? I bought a couple of Raptor stamps last year and they were meat hooks.

Are you talking about the SockiBot or the regular 2x stamp Destroyers for the more understable flight? I bought a couple of Raptor stamps last year and they were meat hooks.

Raptor stamps. The two I've thrown so far literally match the numbers perfectly. 12, 5, -1, 3. Great glide and distance.

Interesting to hear that your raptor ones are so beefy.

I guess that goes to show you can't really make assumptions or generalize when it comes to Destroyers. They really are all over the place.

Raptor stamps. The two I've thrown so far literally match the numbers perfectly. 12, 5, -1, 3. Great glide and distance.

Interesting to hear that your raptor ones are so beefy.

I guess that goes to show you can't really make assumptions or generalize when it comes to Destroyers. They really are all over the place.

My Raptor one was true to the numbers as well. I feel like I can actually throw a Destroyer again lol.

I really liked the raptor run of destroyers, besides the stamp. I tried one of the new signature ones and it was just like the raptors I have (flat wing, dome). I just ordered a few more, and they are not a flat wing at all. Moral of the story, buy your destroyers in person, because they still vary.

I have one 4x McBeth 163gr with straight wing and blizzardy rim. Most understable star destroyer that I had thrown. Perfect for tail wind or no wind. My go to for max distance at calm or tail wind situations.
Then they relesed raptor destroyers. Now I have 5 of them. All are straight winged and blizzardy rimmed like the 4x one. They are bit more stable though. Not for head wind still, but I can reach max back hand with these. Around 430 feet. When I lose my 4x or it gets beaten too understable, I have plenty of back up!

Last edited:
I have one 4x McBeth 163gr with straight wing and blizzardy rim. Most understable star destroyer that I had thrown. Perfect for tail wind or no wind. My go to for max distance at calm or tail wind situations.
Then they relesed raptor destroyers. Now I have 5 of them. All are straight winged and blizzardy rimmed like the 4x one. They are bit more stable though. Not for head wind still, but I can reach max back hand with these. Around 430 feet. When I lose my 4x or it gets beaten too understable, I have plenty of back up!

Sounds like your 4X McBeth must have been made right as they were transitioning stamps. Newer Destroyers seem to have the straight wing.

Sounds like your 4X McBeth must have been made right as they were transitioning stamps. Newer Destroyers seem to have the straight wing.

I have McBeth Destroyers from years ago that have a straighter wing. I'm pretty sure the straightness of the wing has something to do with the cooling process or some other random production element.

I have McBeth Destroyers from years ago that have a straighter wing. I'm pretty sure the straightness of the wing has something to do with the cooling process or some other random production element.

Yeah I had a penned McBeth 4x destroyer a while back with the straight wing/blizzard texture. Weighed in the 160s. It was an out-of-the-box bomber. Flipped it into the woods one round, some say it's still flying to this day.

Propably so. But some say that there are also concave winged raptor destroyers. I have not seen one.

Yes if they are Star.

The Pro, Champion and DX Destroyers still tend to have the more gentle curved wing from 2014 when the AJ was made. I got a new Pro Destroyer in 2019 with the stamp of the course logo that somebody made for the course name and they had just got in a new set of those discs. It is in how these newer Star Destroyer discs are cooling as Innova might be cooling a bunch of the discs quicker just to keep up with the demand of Ricky boy fans who are now back to using there old Innova discs or getting new ones if they started back when Ricky was sponsored by Latitude 64 and using the Trilogy. I don't think that is why Ricky is wanting a Destroyer that US. I do think that this is why more pro players are getting a Star Wraith over a Star Destroyer as the Wraith is like the not as fast cooled wing of the Destroyer. I say go with the Pro Destroyer or get a Champion Destroyer as it is easier to find the characteristics and weight for what you want in a Destroyer as those plastics of Destroyer are less in demand.

Sample size, wind conditions, pro arm speed aside, still an interesting comparison.

Spreading a lot of misinformation there. Unless Innova comes out and says that they made the two current stamps have different flight paths on purpose, I won't believe that for a second.

I'd have to agree. For a while I was one of the people making gross generalizations about Destroyers, attempting to figure out which ones fly certain ways.

I've come to the conclusion that you really can't tell. Each Destroyer seems to be different, often even within a particular run.

The one generalization I'll make is that the 2 raptor Wysocki Destroyers I've thrown so far are less stable than ANY McBeth Destroyer I've ever thrown (at least 12 of them).

With star Destroyers I've seen everything from 12, 4, 0, 3 to 12, 5, -2, 2. Quite a bit of variance within the mold.