• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Definitely not as overstable as a regular star destroyer. Get a domey one. Beat the new out of them and they will turn at 400' a little. You will like it more IMO.

And gpd , at least flat ones, have flip out of the box. Get a domey one if you want it to fly like a seasoned s line. Weird, and kinda counterintuitive, but oh well.

Which current run of destroyers are the most os? I have an orange max weight jl, a regular max weight champ and two stars. Not sure which run of stars they are but all of them turn when thrown at full power. The strongest for me is the regular champ. Which run should I look at next for a more os disc?

Gstar Destroyers are my workhorse D's (only certian ones though)

I have found there to be differences in the softness and appearance of the plastic that correlates to the flight and wear resistance.

I prefer the super domey ones that have the LEAST amount pearly-ness to the plastic. They tend to be like a slightly softer star. I find those traits most often in the red ones. They absolutely bomb! They can handle a fairly decent headwind until they are pretty beat in (approx 2-3 months of daily rounds).

I have tried domey ones that were super pearly, but they were softer and beat in much faster, and were not as OS.

To me the ones I throw, mimic a *D in flight almost to a "tee".

After the initial "newness" is knocked off, I get a clean hyzerflip to flat with a nice forward fade. I consistenly get them out to 400-425

Now that people have had them for some time...how have the G Star Destroyers been holding up? With the thin flight plates and all on this mold. Do they wear in consistently and get the mild turn with a bit dampened fade, or do they go wonky?

I don't have any G Star yet but I do like the feel of it (when it's not the super floppy ones), and I like the supposed characteristics it would give to a Destroyer, mellowing it out as I max at 400 currently.

Also with G Star...are there large variances in how soft (meaning "too" floppy) some Destroyers are, or is it safe to order online?

When I first got my hands on a g* d I was HOOKED. Beautiful flight, like a perfectly seasoned pro d, right out of the box. I got another since I liked it so much, so I had a 167 and a 169. Both were in my bag almost nonstop until this week, and up until now have been great, consistent flyers. My first one, the 167, hit a tree limb a few days ago about 50 feet into its flight on a hard hyzer flip drive, and it totally gave up the ghost, even though it appears to have taken no damage. It went from me being barely able to get it to hyzer flip to turning into a roller in that one hit. I have never experienced that with any disc before, even dx. All the rest of my g* discs have held up great. I pulled the other g* D from my bag out of fear that I would have this happen again, and replaced it with a slightly beat 168 Star D that was gifted to me recently. That disc has about the same turn and glide of the G*, but still has a much stronger fade at the end like a regular Star d.

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to ad that I have used a brand new red gstar destroyer at 172g that was out of the box flippy. I've heard the bottom stamp stars are extra os is there truth in that?

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to ad that I have used a brand new red gstar destroyer at 172g that was out of the box flippy. I've heard the bottom stamp stars are extra os is there truth in that?

yes the relatively new bottom stamp destroyers are extra overstable.

Thanks for all of the responses, it sounds like G Star is the right plastic in this for me when I get a second. There aren't tons of long holes around here, and the ones that are long don't have a lot of trees...at least close to the tee. So I think the close to sweet spot when brand new is worth it for me compared to the longevity, since it's not going to be used constantly.

yes the relatively new bottom stamp destroyers are extra overstable.

Not all are extra OS. Some are some arent. Just like all destroyers. You really just have to know what you are looking for when you buy it.

I've been throwing my GStar Destroyer for a while now and it turns way more than I expected. I need to throw it pretty high to give it any hope of flexing out of an anny. During my tournament last weekend I had one really successful distance drive with it and I had to throw it on a pretty steep hyzer. It flipped up to flat and started a late turn around 300' out, finally flexing out and hitting the ground at about 460'. It can bomb, but at its current stage of wear I can't rely on it except for big anny shots or wide open spaces. I guess I should pick up another Star or EchoStar to break in and take it's place.

Definitely not as overstable as a regular star destroyer. Get a domey one. Beat the new out of them and they will turn at 400' a little. You will like it more IMO.

And gpd , at least flat ones, have flip out of the box. Get a domey one if you want it to fly like a seasoned s line. Weird, and kinda counterintuitive, but oh well.

Ok I definitely trust your advice even more now. Threw my friend's flat-ish G PD and it turned for me out of the box. I was worried I didn't have the arm since my SPD is true HSS 0 for me.

Based on that I have the ability to hyzer flip the GPD I am more confident I could handle a domey G* Destroyer.

so what's the deal with two-line Averys suddenly hitting the $40-50 mark? I know about the patent number markings on the bottom, but there's got to be another reason right?

so what's the deal with two-line Averys suddenly hitting the $40-50 mark? I know about the patent number markings on the bottom, but there's got to be another reason right?

I can see those prices for s/ds and *d but a couple year old *ds destroyers come on Facebook wtf.

I assume you guys are referring to the Avery's with the loops on the Y and J separated?

That seems crazy they are going for more, I seem to remember Danny Thunders saying they "aren't real" Destroyers lol. They are from the same mold the Wiggins are made from.

I assume you guys are referring to the Avery's with the loops on the Y and J separated?

That seems crazy they are going for more, I seem to remember Danny Thunders saying they "aren't real" Destroyers lol. They are from the same mold the Wiggins are made from.

I started to like the mega overstable pd2 looking ones.

Those vulcan shaped things are an abomination though :clap:

I started to like the mega overstable pd2 looking ones.

Those vulcan shaped things are an abomination though :clap:

The vulcan like ones are all over the place right now. I have a few that are complete beefcakes and some that are just neutral

The vulcan like ones are all over the place right now. I have a few that are complete beefcakes and some that are just neutral

Yep, the 2010 Japan Open destroyers were lightweight (150-160g) flat top with the Vulcan-style top and they are all super overstable. I also have another Destroyer that is max weight but has the same flat Vulcan-style top and patent numbers that is super overstable.

To further confuse myself with Destroyers, I just picked one up with a Vulcan-looking top that is a pop top. I compared the PLH on it to my PD2-style super overstable Destroyers and it was just as high. Way higher PLH than your average Star Destroyer. End result? Nice HSS Destroyer without much turn, but definitely not crazy overstable. Not quite what I was looking for from this disc.

Destroyer noob.
I have a 170 bottom stamp star and a 169 Champion. Both are flat. They fly about the same for me. Both need some anhyzer release to reach max D for me. Thrown flat they hyzer out about 3/4 through flight & a little sooner than expected.

I am curious if others find current bottom stamps or current A.J.'s more stable or are they the same with just a different stamp?

Destroyer noob.
I have a 170 bottom stamp star and a 169 Champion. Both are flat. They fly about the same for me. Both need some anhyzer release to reach max D for me. Thrown flat they hyzer out about 3/4 through flight & a little sooner than expected.

I am curious if others find current bottom stamps or current A.J.'s more stable or are they the same with just a different stamp?

Based on recent posts it seems the new AJ destroyers are pretty OS as well as many of the bottom stamps. Not all the bottom stamps are beefy it seems. I've read people's posts saying they've varied.

Latest posts