• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Sounds like i'll have to grab a few. which run tend to be most pop top right now?
There are great pop-top's on some of the brand new AJ Star Destroyers out right now. Just takes thumbing through a few. I picked up a couple really nice white 167-169ish a few months ago at a major retailer.

Visiting this thread is a bummer for me. I took a couple months off and my distance has suffered because of it. I had to take the Destroyers out of my bag until I can get the fairway drivers past 300' again!

But do they fly like all other gstar plastic discs? A little less stable then the same disc is other plastic?

the current destroyers are amazing. loving them.

i've got one superbeefy boob-top pink destroyer that doesn't give a **** about where you want it to go; it's going left. maybe in 5 years it'll turn a little and it'll probably be the longest disc i've got.

i've also got a 168 poptop and a 171 gradual dome; these are perfectly straight with fade, starting off nicely OS and starting to season in. i can crank them out hard and flat and high to the right and trust they will end directly in front of me after about 390-415'. they're just backups for one another.

then there's my superdome pro destroyer; the more i beat it in the better it gets. i throw it pretty high and can trust it will still turn and fade out at the end at about 430-450'.

in short, i love destroyers and as long as they keep making them like they are right now, i'll keep buying them. the runs coming out right now are just perfect; innova is nailing it on all fronts with their yellow kc rocs, super flat star and champ TB, destroyers that fly OS, won't turn and still glide out far. just great.

Innova is nailing it on all fronts with their yellow kc rocs, super flat star and champ TB, destroyers that fly OS, won't turn and still glide out far. just great.

I know this is a destroyer thread, but where exactly are you getting flat champ and star teebirds? I haven't had any luck finding any flat ones that aren't pre# and some of those are even domey.

a lot of the new star TB and most of the JL are flat compared to older runs, with higher PLH. i've been picking up 175g star teebs with PLH just as high as the new JL runs. it's legit.

they still have shoulders; they aren't board flat like 11x teebirds, so maybe i shouldn't have said "super flat" but they are way better than the domey POS that were coming out for a while. nicely overstable, feels good in the hand. they don't really have a "dome", they're flat across the top and there's just the regular shoulder you would expect- that's it. probably about as flat as the gstar tb. if you're ordering online it's kind of a crapshoot i guess.

well, i picked up an echostar SDS (yep, has the patent numbers) destroyer the other day from PIAS after pondering whether or not to for a bit.

it's ugly as sin and someone sharpied all over the front, definitely beat too. nice big poptop.

holy crap, that thing bombs. i can see that star destroyers are true disc investments; i can throw this thing as high as i want to and i know it'll still turn. long distance hyzerflips are now a shot i have back in my bag; something sorely lacking with my fairly overstable fresh star destroyers. i also like that i can throw it in the woods without fear - something i cannot do with my pro destroyer.

my pro destroyer bombs too, but this thing goes even farther. had a legit 30' look at birdie at oakwood hole 4 today . . . pin-high and to the right, big hyzerflip around the tree. also another 30' look at birdie on hole 8, pin high to the left off a big skip on a hyzerflip laserbeam.

TL;DR version: i really like this disc; have no use for any other distance drivers other than a destroyer setup - maybe a stiletto/x1/pd2/nukeOS.

what makes me happiest, though . . . is that my current pink beefcake destroyer has even MORE dome. it's like a boob. i'm excited to see what it flies like in a couple years.

Last edited:
well, i picked up an echostar SDS (yep, has the patent numbers) destroyer the other day from PIAS after pondering whether or not to for a bit.

it's ugly as sin and someone sharpied all over the front, definitely beat too. nice big poptop.

holy crap, that thing bombs. i can see that star destroyers are true disc investments; i can throw this thing as high as i want to and i know it'll still turn. long distance hyzerflips are now a shot i have back in my bag; something sorely lacking with my fairly overstable fresh star destroyers. i also like that i can throw it in the woods without fear - something i cannot do with my pro destroyer.

my pro destroyer bombs too, but this thing goes even farther. had a legit 30' look at birdie at oakwood hole 4 today . . . pin-high and to the right, big hyzerflip around the tree. also another 30' look at birdie on hole 8, pin high to the left off a big skip on a hyzerflip laserbeam.

TL;DR version: i really like this disc; have no use for any other distance drivers other than a destroyer setup - maybe a stiletto/x1/pd2/nukeOS.

what makes me happiest, though . . . is that my current pink beefcake destroyer has even MORE dome. it's like a boob. i'm excited to see what it flies like in a couple years.

Reading this makes me think that maybe I should throw the PFN patent numbers pro destroyer I got in an 11 disc package deal. It has a pop top, its a little beat. I just kind of set it aside and didn't really think about it.

Reading this makes me think that maybe I should throw the PFN patent numbers pro destroyer I got in an 11 disc package deal. It has a pop top, its a little beat. I just kind of set it aside and didn't really think about it.

Perhaps. :). My pro has a big fat dome on it as well as a high plh compared to the others I saw in the shop.

IMO the pop top and plh are more Important than the patent numbers. Go give it a throw! :thmbup:

I put a g* destroyer in my bag from my players pack at a meeting a few weeks back and I am loving this disc. The past year I disced way down and threw nothing faster than a 9. It has payed off. I had my first ever 400' throw yesterday at a local course, and it was on a low hyzer line. I can't wait to throw these more (I picked up a champ destroyer last weekend that is a bit more OS) and learn some longer distance lines if I'm putting them out 375+ on a hyzer.

picked up a new star destroyer. I was pleasantly surprised to see it doesn't have the half Vulcan top like all the new ones ive seen. also it is flat with a high plh. it feels super similar to my pre-avery *D's that I have. an added bonus is that its really swirly

Those old echo pop tops are some of the longest Destroyers out there. I use them for my distance shots. Unfortunately they are getting harder and harder to find and are getting quite expensive. I stopped buying them because it's all collector stuff now.

Anyone have issues with their Destroyers warping? I left mine in storage while on vacation and all my discs were fine except for the Destroyers. Every single one of them has a warped flight plate now! I'm working on fixing these, but I thought it very strange that the Destroyers were the only discs that changed shape...

Ok so I had some good luck and found an unmarked fairly worn in 175g Star Destroyer, quite flat, and relatively not firm. This is only the second Destroyer I have tried (the other one is ~5 throws of a friend's). Both are 175g with *AJ logo, the friend's disc is domey and stiffer, has been used for the summer, but isn't as worn as the flat one.

They act completely differently. The domey one I have a hard time throwing past 350' as it starts fading quite early, it's ridiculously stable. The flatter worn one is almost perfect for me, was throwing it 360-390', with flat release it rides slightly right, then fades smoothly around to where I aimed or a bit left.

I'm very aware people are specific about their Destroyers with PLH and dome...but I'm just amazed at the difference here. Is this flatter one likely crazy beat that I can get some turn in it when it is thrown shy of 400'? Is it possible for me to find a Destroyer that flies like this in the future if I look for flat/softer ones? Or am I just seeing what happens when they're beat to snot and I have no business with an off the shelf one of any kind if I'm not over 400' consistently?

Latest posts