• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

What's everyone thinking about the new run of Star AJ Destroyers? I'm loving mine. Just picked up a few more since the first one I bought has been awesome and I might even get more yet. They are a softer blend (which I prefer) so some might not like the feel. For me they are absolutely bombing with a flight that's dead accurate on its flight numbers. I'm getting a little turn and a healthy fade and they are holding up great in the wind. Can't comment on how they break in yet but so far one of my favorite runs of Destroyer.

I feel like Innova is trying to make a better Destroyer, but my most recent Star run (with the AJ stamp) is not one I'll likely keep. The glide just isn't there for me. I know they catch hell on here, but Champ seems to be my favorite right now!

I'm still trying to stay away from the soft star stuff, but THIS is exactly why I keep them around.

lately I've been screwing around with Cannons. I left Friday morning with my little "backups" bag and my big bag headed to Mississippi for a few days. I forgot i had taken out 2 of my perfect beat in Star Destroyers and put 2 Cannons in in my real bag. Cannons weren't cutting it so I grabbed my backup bag and pulled out a soft star and it immediately fixed the void I had. They are less stable and crush out of the box, but I don't like the softness in a Destroyer. I'll keep the ones I have as backups and if I get offered them in trade I'll probably go ahead, but I won't ever give hard earned money for them.

Heh, I'm slowly picking up the soft ones for the same reason. Could beat into excellent backup boomers in short time if necessary. I threw one in the bag for 2 weeks and honestly got used to the softer plastic. Doesn't bother me anymore, but I still prefer the feel of the stiffer star plastic.

Heh, I'm slowly picking up the soft ones for the same reason. Could beat into excellent backup boomers in short time if necessary. I threw one in the bag for 2 weeks and honestly got used to the softer plastic. Doesn't bother me anymore, but I still prefer the feel of the stiffer star plastic.

Yeah I can second the above. I think they make good backups, and as much as I dislike the (g)Star it isn't the end of the world.

When I was about a year into playing DG I picked up a 175g Star Destroyer with an Avery Jenkins stamp on it. I've been throwing it for a couple years now and it is still an o/s meathook. It is my go to headwind disc and it will be in my bag for as long as it performs. I normally throw the 170- 172g range of discs but the 175 was the only one available and I wanted to try it out. I was wondering what are the destroyers that are the go to driver discs? Do I need to just try and drop the weight? I have a 175 Giant that beat in rather quickly and now flips to flat and just goes for days but the destroyer hasn't changed at all in the couple years I've had it.

Generally a change of just a few grams won't change stability significantly. Just try to find Destroyers from a different run or get a used one from someone.

Yeah I agree with glard. I haven't found that weight made much difference to the stability in star Destroyers. I've currently got a 168g patent numbers pop top in my bag that flies like a slightly longer firebird. I've had 175g Destroyers that flew less stable than this one. Dome and PLH seem to make a much bigger difference than weight.

sad story. lost my favorite star destroyer a month ago. 168. little beat in. had it for about 3-4 years and it was my go-to as well as an ace disc. same day I lost my other slightly cycled -in star destroyer :( f*%k!

I left a pro destroyer just sitting by a teepad at league earlier this week. Had that bad boy in and out of my bag for two years, seasoned to perfection. No one picked it up from the club and I know exactly where I left it, casual must have scooped it and ignored the ink.

No idea how I'm going to replace it.

I left a pro destroyer just sitting by a teepad at league earlier this week. Had that bad boy in and out of my bag for two years, seasoned to perfection. No one picked it up from the club and I know exactly where I left it, casual must have scooped it and ignored the ink.

No idea how I'm going to replace it.

:doh:

Lame! It might turn up though. Any consideration to trying out the G* line? Those fly much like a well-seasoned Destro right out of the box for me...

:doh:

Lame! It might turn up though. Any surprisedideration to trying out the G* line? Those fly much like a well-seasoned Destro right out of the box for me...

Do the g*'s fly less stable than the current run gummy AJ stars? I was surprised at how workable these are out of the box.

Do the g*'s fly less stable than the current run gummy AJ stars? I was surprised at how workable these are out of the box.

I feel like they do...The G*s have more glide as well (in my experience). I picked up one of the newer AJ Soft Star Destroyers and haven't been impressed. I feel like Innova is trying to make a better Star Destroyer but they haven't quite figured it out yet.

I've been finding some sweet destros lately. Tourney last weekend I helped unbox and set out all of the payout plastic and found a super sick pink bottom stamp pop top "snub nosed" topped one. It's gonna be stable, and turn in to a crusher. Same event some guy yelled, "anyone want a Star Destroyer?".. I went over there and he had a MEGA domed up PD2 topped destroyer, so I gave him an inked up Moonshine Bolt for it. It's so stablee.

^ Nice! It's been a rough road for me finding that workhorse distance driver. I just picked up a couple bottom-stamped Destros as I've heard they are crazy-stable. I did have one that fit the spot, but I managed to lose it in a water hazard. I'm going to have to test these out over the weekend. Unfortunately, league night will be at our shortest and most technical course this evening. The hyzer bombs will have to wait until I get a chance to hit the field!

I grabbed a 175g champ destroyer which from my eyes looks to be PD2 topped, I only tossed it once as I was in a tourny and didn't know what it was gonna do. Stoked to see.

^^Ya I'd be interested to see a PD2 topped Champ.

Forgot to mention I also got an older Pat # Champ that feels soo good. It's the older Champ, the super clear glassy stuff like the pfn Feldy Bosses. Mmmm.

^^Ya I'd be interested to see a PD2 topped Champ.

Forgot to mention I also got an older Pat # Champ that feels soo good. It's the older Champ, the super clear glassy stuff like the pfn Feldy Bosses. Mmmm.

I dont think there is enough love for the Patent # champs.

I love bagging the pop top ones. They are freaking bombers and super consistent. Once they season, they have very comparable glide to the stars and they stay in the sweet spot forever.

Latest posts