• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

I guess I can't talk about past destroyers since I've only been playing since 2015ish. I'm trying to think of how many different destroyers I've seen thrown before. I'd estimate between 300-500, but who knows. None of the newer and heavier ones have ever been turn and burn flippy with only 350 ft of power.

Molding inconsistency doesn't create outliers as big as that. There would have to be obvious defects in the disc for one to turn and burn with low power. Like I said, PM the next time you find one. I'll put my money where my mouth is.

Yea, when I find the freak ones they dont get past me. Im not looking for you to put your money where your mouth is, I have nothing to prove to you, I just dont get why you are so set in your thinking. I have no reason to lie about the discs I have thrown. What benefit to me is there for me to not tell the truth, it just makes my knowledge look less credible. Molding inconsistencies can 100% lead to outliers that big. Why cant you accept a fact that I am telling you from hands on experience. I will agree that I havent seen a newer heavier one that acts this way but I have had star destroyers in the 160's that act that way.

Yea, when I find the freak ones they dont get past me. Im not looking for you to put your money where your mouth is, I have nothing to prove to you, I just dont get why you are so set in your thinking. I have no reason to lie about the discs I have thrown. What benefit to me is there for me to not tell the truth, it just makes my knowledge look less credible. Molding inconsistencies can 100% lead to outliers that big. Why cant you accept a fact that I am telling you from hands on experience. I will agree that I havent seen a newer heavier one that acts this way but I have had star destroyers in the 160's that act that way.

I feel like you're exaggerating. But since you are now saying these destroyers are "freak ones" or outliers, than that's fine.

You originally claimed that a question on destroyers was too hard to answer because you never know which one you will get. Just don't assume you will get an outlier since outliers are rare, problem solved.

Yeah, the only Destroyers I've seen that are "turn-and-burn" at 350' feet of power are bubble rim Champ Destroyers. Not talking blizzard, but the ones that just have bubbles.

Yeah, the only Destroyers I've seen that are "turn-and-burn" at 350' feet of power are bubble rim Champ Destroyers. Not talking blizzard, but the ones that just have bubbles.

I've thrown a couple 150ish stars. They'll turn and burn at 400' or more, but not 350'.

I've never seen ANY star Destroyer turn and burn at 350' no matter how beat up it was.

Not saying this is the case here, but wouldn't it be funny if it were the opposite of "internet distance?"

Like instead of someone overstating how far they throw, they actually understate it:

"Yeah man, I don't know why that turned and burned, I only throw around 350'." <---actually throws 450'+.

Not saying this is the case here, but wouldn't it be funny if it were the opposite of "internet distance?"

Like instead of someone overstating how far they throw, they actually understate it:

"Yeah man, I don't know why that turned and burned, I only throw around 350'." <---actually throws 450'+.

Shhh, this is my strategy

Yea, I remember when vulcan topped destroyers starting coming out and everyone hated them, then very quickly after that the teedevil came out which is essentially a vulcan topped destroyer. Coincidence, I think not. Im just trying to point out that just because someone hasnt had the same experience as someone else then that doesnt mean it isnt true. I feel like I come from a place of a lot of knowledge being a high level player for a long time with a love for the game that also has had thousands of discs run thru my hands over the years being involved with Pandamonium. I get to hand pick my personal discs from stacks and stacks of discs so when I see something out of the ordinary, I note it. Im not saying latewesternsky doesnt have a lot of knowledge but combined we have a lot more and we should be working together and sharing information to further everyone's knowledge.

Yep I know, I had seen mistake labeled Valkyrie in all but DX, where they were using the Road Runner mold not for all discs but some starting in 2012-2013, then soon after some RV discs came out for Innova in 2014-2015 time for a bit as limited run on the Innova Disc Golf Pro Shop before it all got sorted out in production. So I am not surprised that in 2010 or so the Vulcan topped Destroyer discs were out for a bit before a relabel of an un-popular Destroyer type to sell the disc better as a new mold. I Just don't get why a company as big as Innova can get discs the company makes for the other 3 brands to be a good bit more consistent for a disc year after year and Innova discs are all over the map?

Kinda experienced something along those lines. A) I don't throw 450 but can crack 400.

I turn something over because of horrible OAT and sigh in disgust about my wrist roll.

2 people on my card have to tell me its because of how far i throw or how much power I have. yeah, no, that was OAT not power. Throwing 60' farther than people that max out at under 300' doesn't mean I have the velocity to make OS discs flippy.

More on topic i have a much smaller sample size but Star Destroyers? i've not seen one at any weight that is flippy or near flippy.

DX? yes but those can look and feel like different discs. Pro plastic? yes. That has given me off the shelf discs that are even better than cycled for wear.

I don't know if I would like a flippy off the shelf Star or Champ. I really like the way those plastics feel beat up vs fresh. Flippy off the shelf Pro i love though.

Philo tour series Destroyers will always have a place in my bag. Like to support the man, and upper 160s Destroyers have a part to play in a medium-armed game when wind is constant.

I throw some recent run Star Destroyers at 175g (one bottom stamped the other with a large mech stamp). There's one hole at a course I regularly play where you can let rip on a slight downhill (1 in 30 incline perhaps) there's often a slight headwind.

When you say 'turn and burn' or 'flippy' are people meaning it will come out of your hand on a gentle hyzer then turn throughout the flight over 250' to then cut roll before any fade, or is it that in the first 100' it's become a throller?

My most recent throw on the hole mentioned did that slow turn and then cut rolled. I figured I need something more stable for that shot. Should I search for more stable Destroyers for that situation, look to another disc mold entirely or simply hyzer harder? My shot usually finishes at 300-350' on that throw. I could stand to get another 100' out of it.

I throw some recent run Star Destroyers at 175g (one bottom stamped the other with a large mech stamp). There's one hole at a course I regularly play where you can let rip on a slight downhill (1 in 30 incline perhaps) there's often a slight headwind.

When you say 'turn and burn' or 'flippy' are people meaning it will come out of your hand on a gentle hyzer then turn throughout the flight over 250' to then cut roll before any fade, or is it that in the first 100' it's become a throller?

My most recent throw on the hole mentioned did that slow turn and then cut rolled. I figured I need something more stable for that shot. Should I search for more stable Destroyers for that situation, look to another disc mold entirely or simply hyzer harder? My shot usually finishes at 300-350' on that throw. I could stand to get another 100' out of it.

Sounds more like OAT or disc wobble then anything. Even understable Destroyers can handle mild headwinds and not cut roll. I would guess you are FH, wrist rolling. I just never heard of throwing a Destroyer on hyzer and seeing it cut roll, unless the wind is 25-30+.

Possibly you got some freak discs, but I would say it's more form issues. Sure you can buy some more overstable discs too if you want.

If I say "turn and burn" it means I'm releasing a disc flat or slightly hyzer and having it immediately turn over into the ground. It isn't a gentle turn, its a violent, quick one. Basically a throller. Obviously this can be exacerbated by throwing into a headwind.

Found this bad boy on my home course this morning. Appears to be brand new, unmarked, 168 grams. Decided to give it a rip and lol my noodle arm is not ready for a destroyer. Going to set this thing aside and keep throwing my dx eagles
1463134ebf86c09d99713ae46533316c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds more like OAT or disc wobble then anything. Even understable Destroyers can handle mild headwinds and not cut roll. I would guess you are FH, wrist rolling. I just never heard of throwing a Destroyer on hyzer and seeing it cut roll, unless the wind is 25-30+.

Possibly you got some freak discs, but I would say it's more form issues. Sure you can buy some more overstable discs too if you want.

I'm RHBH dominant, it was a moderate headwind (not sure really how strong) and I didn't get much air under it (it followed that downward incline quite closely), my fieldwork is usually with a stack of baseline putters and I tend to get around 250' - 275' with them, they flip up, glide then fade, one in ten I get hold of the disc and it turns throughout out to 280'+ (it gets to bushes by that time so don't know how far it would end up). So I don't think I have any significant OAT as standard in my drive. The hyzer was minimal, just off flat I think.
I usually throw them and get the flight described earlier in the thread for about 350' power. Perhaps its just I didn't give it enough air and the headwind was stronger out on the fairway than where the drive started. I guess I'd just like to know what people would reach for in that situation regardless of what distance they threw.

Or maybe the 400' of power shot shape (I often get a bit of turn but there's often some headwind). I don't know. I don't think I throw it that far but maybe I'm just too wary of claiming internet distance.

I'm RHBH dominant, it was a moderate headwind (not sure really how strong) and I didn't get much air under it (it followed that downward incline quite closely), my fieldwork is usually with a stack of baseline putters and I tend to get around 250' - 275' with them, they flip up, glide then fade, one in ten I get hold of the disc and it turns throughout out to 280'+ (it gets to bushes by that time so don't know how far it would end up). So I don't think I have any significant OAT as standard in my drive. The hyzer was minimal, just off flat I think.
I usually throw them and get the flight described earlier in the thread for about 350' power. Perhaps its just I didn't give it enough air and the headwind was stronger out on the fairway than where the drive started. I guess I'd just like to know what people would reach for in that situation regardless of what distance they threw.

OK, yes I would look for a more stable Destroyer then. Throwing downhill is going to put the nose down even more so you will need to stable up to counter act the nose angle. Plus the headwind and boom it's turning and burning.

Do the opposite obviously throwing uphill and same downwind obviously, disc will hyzer out sooner so go for more flip.

Check out PLH and look for a higher one.

the first run swirl philos are the answer to the "right" kind of flight. their is a reason folks are asking 45-60 on ebay.

I carry these exclusively in the fall and spring. they are a softer grade of star. the grip is unreal.

Latest posts