• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Destroyer Vs. Boss

Of course, but then how is it I turn over a destroyer and not a boss, when others are saying they turn over their boss but not their destroyer? They do vary, and they vary that much. I've watched and witnessed this. I bought my groove, and then while watching a friend of mine throw his groove, he was turning it over for a nice S curve and parked it next to the basket. I asked him to throw mine, and see if he could get it to turn over. It did nothing but hyzer and he was flabbergasted. He could also turn over his boss for a long anhyzer, did nothing but hyzer with my boss.

Wow. I've definitely heard a lot of people complaining about the inconsistencies of the Boss mold but never the Groove (I heard yet another person this weekend complaining about it). There are a lot more Boss throwers to Groove throwers in my area though (pretty much 10:1). For me, I'm on my fourth Groove (all under 170), and they've all been consistent in their flight paths.

Maybe Innova found the max speed cap for their discs, and has yet to really realize it. What a shame that you've had that experience because the Groove is a terrific disc to me. It does beat in really fast for me, which is why I've gone through so many. Maybe I should send you my old ones. Hahaha.

I love the Destroyer but I hate Star plastic. In order to get a Destroyer in Champion you have to pay at least $30.00 for a CFR which I have done once and it was well worth it. I also found a 175 Champion Destroyer with no name so I have two of them.

The Champion Boss is a very similar disc except it goes a little farther (about 10' on average on a football field). The other benefit is that they come standard in Champion Plastic for $12.99.

Both discs like to be thrown very low and fast with as much snap as you can muster and they will fly straight and long with almost no fade. They're basically a wide rimmed Tbird.

I also own a 167 Star Boss but Star slips out of my hand so I can't consistently get a good snap with star plastic so it's up for trade.

I guess i just havent come across an amazingly over or understable disc from the same mold. If I did I would obviously believe you, and im still not calling anyone on here a liar. I just javent seen it. It boggles the mind.

However when i went to get another Star Boss the local dealer told me the lighter ones were more leaning towards overstable because of the way they were made. Lighter=overstable???? What the *&%&^$&^%$ is Innova doing?

I consider myself lucky to have not run into one of these

First off, I wasn't trying to be a brow beater. This forum is for people that appreciate the game and want to not only get better but also help others to get better. If you were to step up and turn a Destroyer after a group of people hyzer them out, you'll show them that they have room to grow. In turn, they'll have a new goal to achieve in their disc golf journey and will get better.

Unfortunately on a forum, that has to happen through the written word which can often come across as arrogant, as I did. My intention was not to offend (as I stated before starting the post), but to try and help. I got to a certain level as a casual player but didn't start really improving until I had a lot of my misconceptions corrected by higher level players (not calling myself one here by any means - I have a long way to go). It stung because I thought I had my game together. Once the stinging disappeared, the advice sunk in and sunk in good. My scores instantly started dropping fast. I am still getting advice, and it still hurts. But after it sinks in, I get better. What's worst about it is having to go back to those players that think you blew them off and humbly thank them for their advice.

As for you thinking I know more than you about the game, I disagree. I'd love to throw a round with you sometime because I guarantee I'd learn something from you. That's what I love about this sport is that there's always something new to learn that can improve our games.

I'm game anytime and I agree intentions and conceptions of what people are trying to say on forums can be misconstrued. As for learning anything from me while playing. Well the only thing I think I could show you is how to hit a perfectly good tree since thats all i do lately.

I guess i just havent come across an amazingly over or understable disc from the same mold. If I did I would obviously believe you, and im still not calling anyone on here a liar. I just javent seen it. It boggles the mind.

However when i went to get another Star Boss the local dealer told me the lighter ones were more leaning towards overstable because of the way they were made. Lighter=overstable???? What the *&%&^$&^%$ is Innova doing?

I consider myself lucky to have not run into one of these

It just baffles me that you guys are saying bosses turn over... I was playing with a guy yesterday, and brought this up. He can just rip a backhand drive and on a 350 foot hole was throwing his Boss right and letting it fade left... This was his 3rd boss I believe and he said they all throw the same. He was also throwing a star boss unlike my champ boss.

I then tried my friend's xcal and then my groove again which I've just been using for backhand skip shots so it's getting beat up a bit. They flew the same flight path. lol. The 356' straight shot ends at the last 40 feet being uphill at almost a 40 degree angle to an elevated basket. The Groove flew extremely straight with a predictable fade (hit the hill and skipped up to the basket), The Xcal did the same but was about 50 feet up the hill past the basket.

Both discs suck as the great majority of players have no business throwing either. I'll give the Destroyer the nod because it sucks a little less.

Thread from the crypt. I'll agree that a lot of people can't throw them correctly, but it doesn't mean they won't find a spot in their game. As for the inconsistencies, I've had 2 Grooves and found them vastly different. The only difference was 2 grams in weight and color.

But yes...I've found that most people with Bosses throw much better with something slower. Both FH and BH players.

Both discs suck as the great majority of players have no business throwing either. I'll give the Destroyer the nod because it sucks a little less.

this makes no sense. why would a disc suck because of a lack of throwers ability?

I agree it takes a better player to throw the boss/groove, and in reality it's more knowledge of how the disc behaves as opposed to skill/power. Both discs, in all weights (150-173) are a staple in my tourney bag.

I like my bosses more then a destryoer

I have a Star and Champion groove and both act very similar and IMO is more consistant than the boss. But to answer the question of this topic, the pro destroyer is now my main go to distance driver. I have been working on my 360 open field drives and I must say this disc goes long, and pro plastic has good grip.

This may be apples-to-oranges, but I bought a Star Boss (173g) a couple of weeks ago, and I just won a Champion Destroyer (175g) in a raffle this week. I took both out to a field today. Comparing the two I have, the Boss breaks later but harder. I'd call them both overstable, especially comparing them against my two Discraft Surges, which are rated at comparable speeds but turn over for me when I throw them flat. The ESP Surge turns over a little more than the FLX Surge. Both are right around 170g.

My Beat in destroyer is the straightest and longest disc I've got in my bag. It flies so straight for soooo long. If I really gun it, it will flip slightly then come back for a nice S curve. The boss I can't get to turn over at all. All it ever wants to do is just bomb to the ground. Definitely the destroyer, hands down.
100% agreed
I throw boss forehand only and LOVE throwing my destroyer and even throwing forehand rollers with it as well

I throw FH and love my destroyer for s-curve and hyzers, its especially good in a headwind. I only played one round with a borrowed Boss so I can't really compare but I will say that nothing I've thrown holds a FH roller line like my sweet "Yoda" star destroyer.

This last week I bought a Pro Destroyer in the 170 range and took it to the park for some tests. I loved it. It added 50 feet+ to my throws and was a juggernaut into the wind. I lost the disc in a pond the day I bought it.

The following day I bought Champion Boss 175 and was VERY disappointed. I don't know if you guys can help me to determine WHY this disc wont work for me for long drives. I'm using it as a mid-range disc currently. It will only go about 180 feet for me. The Pro Destroyer would get me closer to 300 with the same throw.

The world record disc wont go as far for me as the Destroyer. Does this mean I am not throwing it hard enough? Too much angle? Too little grip? I just can't figure it out. Fixing to go out and buy 2 destroyers next paycheck instead of a blizzard boss as originally planned.

This last week I bought a Pro Destroyer in the 170 range and took it to the park for some tests. I loved it. It added 50 feet+ to my throws and was a juggernaut into the wind. I lost the disc in a pond the day I bought it.

The following day I bought Champion Boss 175 and was VERY disappointed. I don't know if you guys can help me to determine WHY this disc wont work for me for long drives. I'm using it as a mid-range disc currently. It will only go about 180 feet for me. The Pro Destroyer would get me closer to 300 with the same throw.

The world record disc wont go as far for me as the Destroyer. Does this mean I am not throwing it hard enough? Too much angle? Too little grip? I just can't figure it out. Fixing to go out and buy 2 destroyers next paycheck instead of a blizzard boss as originally planned.
If you are only getting to 300 max with a destroyer i would suggest (as many here will) to grab some slower discs. Leopard and comet are default responses here, and highly recommend both. Get to where you can punch a Leo/eagle/teebird out to around 300-350 then grab a valk or equivalent speed driver. Trust me, i did the same thing as you are doing now when i started. I wish someone would have slapped me and gave me a comet.