• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Developing a Left Handed Shot?

Pwingles

* Ace Member *
I am right handed, not ambidextrous.
In the last year i have been slowly developing a left hand back hand shot. I was having problems with forehand shots over 300 ft, and my anhyzers were lacking in accuracy at anything over 330-350. So i decided to work on a left handed flat and hyzer shot, its been pretty useful in several ways and has helped me a lot in general in competition and rec play.

I guess my question is knowing of some people that have this ability, and put it into practice. How come it isnt becoming more of a standard thing for players to try and add to their game?

I would think you dont see more people doing it because it is really really difficult, and even beyond that the intimidation factor of having people see you look so awkward and pathetic as you learn to throw with a different hand is a major deterrent. I shudder when i think about how hard it will be for me to throw lefty. But then again, i can't get an anny to go more than 300 so i will worry about it when i can even get a peice of plastic to go that far.

Not really on topic, but related. I am completely right handed. Every single thing i do is right handed.

Except, I throw discs left handed. I cant explain it, but it felt natural when I started and I have stuck with it. Right handed feels uncomfortable. I use a RHFH often though. The ****ty thing is I cant throw LHFH so I am stuck with LHBH and RHFH which create the same flight path.

I am amazed at how few leftys I see out on the course. Quite often people will see me drive and ask what disc I am throwing. Ill say a destroyer or xcal, and they will be like "how can you make it go left to right like that"? um I use a different type of hand than you.

During this USDGC, one the guys in the final group (Phil Arthur) threw drives and approaches with both hands, LHBH and RHBH. He is predominantly RHBH, but was throwing 400' drives with his LHBH. Since then, I have been working with my off hand to improve distance and accuracy.

Another thing, I'm a natural righty, but I throw LHBH and RHFH. Bad combination. That's why I'm working on my RHBH. Feels weird, but I'm still working on it.

I am also a righty who throws LHBH and RHFH. I developed my RHBH several years ago while recovering from shoulder surgery. I do not practice enough to maintain muscle memory to make it worthwhile on the course though (unless the risk-reward makes it worthwhile - like a severe left turning hole without much punishment so I can recover for par if I screw up).

One other thing I do backwards is waterski. I ski left foot forward and most righties ski right forward. I think throwing lefty might be a "left foot dominant" thing. Any one dis/agree with my guess on this?

i am sort of blessed i suppose, ive been fairly coordinated and athletic my whole life, i also have a large field and a smallish course within walking distance (the field is in my front yard tho) and i have more than enough room to experiment with all sorts of shots, since living in my current home my shot arsenal, accuracy, and distance have all been magnified tremendously

Also at USDGC, Garrett Gurthrie almost threw across the lake (500+ feet) left handed after the tournament during the distance show-off. He probably would have made it if he had thrown straight across instead of on an angle.

I consider myself a lefty, but I throw right handed (RHBH, and a little RHFH). I hurt my wrist last year and couldn't throw for a while, so I tried playing lefty. It was actually not too bad, I only lost about 12 strokes off my 18 hole average at the time, so I've been working on it off and on for a while, comes in handy once in a while.

I would think you would to work on your FH and anhyzers...seeing as how you already have at least some semblance of that shot, I don't see why you would start completely over.

Lefty approach shots are a great thing to work on to play for the opposite fade/if a tree is blocking your throw and are not nearly as hard as learning to throw 300-400 feet with your off hand. I think that's a useful time investment. Maybe eventually that can lead to driving off hand if you get that far.

I am right handed, not ambidextrous.
In the last year i have been slowly developing a left hand back hand shot. I was having problems with forehand shots over 300 ft, and my anhyzers were lacking in accuracy at anything over 330-350. So i decided to work on a left handed flat and hyzer shot, its been pretty useful in several ways and has helped me a lot in general in competition and rec play.

I guess my question is knowing of some people that have this ability, and put it into practice. How come it isnt becoming more of a standard thing for players to try and add to their game?

i don't know many people that can throw with both hands..more power to ya

I am right handed. I could throw with my left. I start to develop my left after i start notice that my elbow hurt after throw rhfh. So i decide to try throw left hand and surpisedly that disc went more than 200 feet. So i practice on my form for my left. over maybe 2 years. I now can throw 300 ft left hand, 360 ft right hand. My right hand seem hit plateu on 360 ft. I want to break 400ft. So far i couldn't break. I even ask avery jenkins to correct my forms. I threw both arms and he was surpised with my left. He even ask me which hand i use for writing. the right i told him. He said keep practice and keep my form consistant. I am hope to break 400 ft by next summer.

I throw RHBH. My left hand is dead weight. It's good for typing the left side keys of a keyboard as well as driving (not sure why). I can't imagine teaching it to throw a disc...it would take a TON of time. I'd rather spend the time developing my anhyzer throw and sidearm...

i just see it as another shot to have. i see so many players, even people who have played for years that only truly have 2-3 shots theyre comfortable with, and it just seems to me if you want to compete, having more tools gives you more options, and you can make better decisions

I'm a mutant! I am left handed by nature but throw darts, golf, and some other things right handed. I have thrown RH as an approach but don't practice it. I have never even tried to throw RH on a drive. Hmm, maybe I should try that this week.

I think throwing being able to throw left handed is a valuable tool and I have practiced it. The problem for me is that I am not particularly good at it and the amount of time I would have to spend on it would take away from me honing the parts of my game that Im only decent at like throwing backhand, forehand, overhand, upshots and putting lol.

People don't do it because it's easier to learn a good turnover and anhyzer than learning to throw lefty. It's a great skill to have if you're willing to do it, though.

Latest posts