• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

don't overlook Sonora Park in the future. i think it is the best 9 hole in DFW, definitely the most challenging.

Hello DFW people! I will be in Dallas for some training the 24-25th of next week. My flight gets in a 3pm and I have a dinner at 7pm at the Hilton Anatole, so I have a window to play a course.

Looks like the closest course to me would be Roger W. Lytle. Would you guys and gals recommend that course for me or is it worth a longer drive to go elsewhere? Just trying to get a plan from DFW airport to the Hilton, any insight would be greatly appreciated as I have never been to Dallas before (except for flight layovers).

Hello DFW people! I will be in Dallas for some training the 24-25th of next week. My flight gets in a 3pm and I have a dinner at 7pm at the Hilton Anatole, so I have a window to play a course.

Looks like the closest course to me would be Roger W. Lytle. Would you guys and gals recommend that course for me or is it worth a longer drive to go elsewhere? Just trying to get a plan from DFW airport to the Hilton, any insight would be greatly appreciated as I have never been to Dallas before (except for flight layovers).

Go play Bear Creek, it's near the airport and has a full 18 broken into two loops - 12 and 6 holes each. Lots of fun holes but not a beating challenge-wise for an ADV player.

This is concerning news for Grapevine's Bear Creek park.

From this article: https://communityimpact.com/dallas-...pevine-community-meets-discuss-new-dog-parks/

The Grapevine Parks and Recreation team held a public meeting on May 2 to gather public input on the city's first dog parks.

The dog parks, which will be located at Big Bear Creek and McPherson parks, are expected to be open summer 2017.
Mitchell said disc golf will still be played at Big Bear Creek park but the number of holes are expected to be reduced from 18 holes to nine holes.

"You can't have everything," he said. "You have to give a little to get a little and that means sacrificing half of the course."

From this article: https://communityimpact.com/dallas-...pevine-community-meets-discuss-new-dog-parks/

The Grapevine Parks and Recreation team held a public meeting on May 2 to gather public input on the city's first dog parks.

The dog parks, which will be located at Big Bear Creek and McPherson parks, are expected to be open summer 2017.
Mitchell said disc golf will still be played at Big Bear Creek park but the number of holes are expected to be reduced from 18 holes to nine holes.

"You can't have everything," he said. "You have to give a little to get a little and that means sacrificing half of the course."

Looking at the map on the article, it looks like the the dog park will take up the 6 hole loop. Maybe they will keep the first 12 holes as they are...

that course is a pretty small pitch & putt. it's fun and you could easily get 2 rounds and have time for a shower at the hotel.

bear creek is a better option for a "real" course. super close to the airport so it's not out of the way. and it won't be an 18 hole course for long... would be cool to play it while you can.

That's the "signature" hole! Did you just tee off closer to the creek/drainage ditch?

Yup. I picked a spot I thought I could birdie from. Still didn't birdie (missed my putt) LOL. I couldn't tell for sure what was going on but lots of dirt work thereabouts.

Last edited:

That's just about the worst DG news I've heard in years. Like there is no where else to put a dog park, so you essentially destroy the Metroplex's oldest and busiest course.

And talk about clueless ... what exactly are the dog park advocates 'giving a little of' and how exactly are disc golfers 'getting' anything expect screwed?

I wish to God I had the time to start/run/advocate a campaign to stop this, but two kids under 3 means I hardly even have time for discing anymore....

All salute Major Bummer :mad::mad:

That's just about the worst DG news I've heard in years. Like there is no where else to put a dog park, so you essentially destroy the Metroplex's oldest and busiest course.

And talk about clueless ... what exactly are the dog park advocates 'giving a little of' and how exactly are disc golfers 'getting' anything expect screwed?

I wish to God I had the time to start/run/advocate a campaign to stop this, but two kids under 3 means I hardly even have time for discing anymore....

All salute Major Bummer :mad::mad:

One of the local guys that has a mini at Bear Creek did some in depth follow up to find out what could be done. Basically - nothing at all. The decision to build two dog parks and where to build them was made more than a year ago. There are also more things being done to the park including a walking path and added park amenities that will severely alter the remained of the course. The city has been receptive to the idea of moving the Bear Creek course when the time comes to another park, but that will likely have to be a patron supported/accomplished effort since the parks department and city construction crews have a full schedule through the not so distant future.

Unfortunately it sucks that a long established, popular course is going to be pulled. But the city may let an even better course be installed down the road. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

We played Bear Creek Saturday morning after seeing the bad news on facebook last week. The park is definitely already very dog friendly. I almost painted my shoes twice in the 1st 3 holes with man sized dog piles that the dog owners just let lay and walk off to bake in the hot summer sun. The park has a winding concrete path already and alot of people not playing disc golf use and seem to be quite happy with because they all wish you a good day and keep on walking by as you wait to play through.
This is probably too little too late, but they have a petition going around to sign too. If for nothing else it would be good to get the numbers up to show the city we do care what happens to the course.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/143/202/232/save-bear-creek-disc-golf/

I saw the mag nails and flags from the surveyors on the back six holes so they are well on there way to ripping up some history.

i heard people whispering about a federal grant that was used to develop the land originally and that they are not allowed to change anything without paying back the money.

doesn't really make much sense, especially since the original course was 12 holes

I heard from the people who do the Sunday tournaments that Grapevine was very difficult to work with in just setting up the tourny. They had to pay Grapevine a portion of the proceeds just to be able to move baskets around, and since they started the tournaments they've done a great job of taking care of the course. I am seriously considering boycotting all stores in Grapevine after this news. I would much rather pay taxes to a city that actually cares about disc golf.

I am seriously considering boycotting all stores in Grapevine after this news. I would much rather pay taxes to a city that actually cares about disc golf.

I only stopped at Grapevine stores when I was playing Bear Creek anyway, so that won't be too hard to boycott anymore. You'll have to throw Lewisville in the boycott too since they took Lake Park away to put in a walking path. :thmbdown::thmbdown:

I only stopped at Grapevine stores when I was playing Bear Creek anyway, so that won't be too hard to boycott anymore. You'll have to throw Lewisville in the boycott too since they took Lake Park away to put in a walking path. :thmbdown::thmbdown:

I live right around the corner from Bear Creek. We shop at Glade a lot, but I don't mind going to other stores. I never travel up to Lewisville now that they took out the lake course.

With all of this rain, I'm seriously bummed over the Lake Lewisville course being closed. I always had fun at that course no matter how well I was playing. It's just a shame.

A group of us took a trip up to Dallas and played a couple courses up there, including BB Owen and Roger Lytle in Founders Park. The Founders Park course is surprisingly awesome. I'm amazed that there's that type of land available for disc golf in the middle of Dallas. I don't care if it's only 11 holes and shorter holes. The trees and elevation change are amazing in there. It utilizes the hole park, so 11 holes is all there is. If there had been a way to eek out another seven holes it'd be one of the most popular in DFW.

A group of us took a trip up to Dallas and played a couple courses up there, including BB Owen and Roger Lytle in Founders Park. The Founders Park course is surprisingly awesome. I'm amazed that there's that type of land available for disc golf in the middle of Dallas. I don't care if it's only 11 holes and shorter holes. The trees and elevation change are amazing in there. It utilizes the hole park, so 11 holes is all there is. If there had been a way to eek out another seven holes it'd be one of the most popular in DFW.

Our group went the other way and played in your area. We played both courses in Keene for the first time and really enjoyed them. The condition reports (lack of mowing) scared us off from Cleburne so we went over to Waxahachie to play Brown Singleton for the first time and it probably wasn't any better. It's been too wet for them to mow, so we had a hard time (but a fun time nonetheless).

I agree on Founders Park. We played it for the first time a few weeks ago and definitely will go back. I'm on a quest to bag every course listed in the DFW area. My buddy lives in Rhome and I'm on the east side (Rowlett). Neither one of us is averse to driving an hour (or more) to play, so we cover lots of different courses.