• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFW disc golf

lake park (Lewisville) and bill allen make a good pair too. you should check those out for sure, i might even join you!

anyone interested that isn't on facebook or a Funkytown Flyer this was posted today...

Funkytown Flyers Disc Golf

CALLING ALL MEMBERS!!!....we will be holding a detail work day at Gateway Park SATURDAY 10AM. Since they closed the back area the rif raf is gone. Someone has been secretly cleaning up the back 9 and it looks GREAT! but the front 9 has grown in some from the unusaully mild winter. We will be providing lunch for all volenteers who choose to come out and help. We need help dragging branches to the road that we cut out so the city can pick them up. We have some equipment to trim fairways. It sounds like alot of work but it's not. With the help of our members we can finish something we started and get this course back on track. There are some changes to the course that i think you'll like, so as a Funkytown Flyer duty calls. We will also have a brief members meeting during lunch to get some input from you the members, we want to make sure that our members are more involved in our goals, as we move ahead to make Disc Golf a much greater sport....LET'S GOLF!!!!

Great write up on the best courses in this area, giles. Kudos.

The only one I would also add would be Bicentennal. It's like ZBoaz, but minus the mob golf.

Great write up on the best courses in this area, giles. Kudos.

The only one I would also add would be Bicentennal. It's like ZBoaz, but minus the mob golf.

X2 on the Kudos to giles, that is a big time help. I have added Bicentennial to my list, and will reconsider a few based on some reviews.

I'll let yall (look at that, I'm turning into a Texan already...) know where I decide to go this weekend. I wouldn't mind meeting up with some of you to throw.

Ya, Turner is definitely in the top 10 and maybe top 5 courses in DFW. Too hard for me, but has long holes, elevation, and "fun factor" if you have the arm for it (again not me, second hand reports).

Out of all these courses, the only ones I haven't played are the Roc, Saddle Hills, and Cherry Creek. Cherry Creek will happen soon. I've made up my mind, mostly becasue it's pretty close to me. Are Saddle Hills and the Roc worth the travel for a day trip, when I could be going back to Selah instead?

Are Saddle Hills and the Roc worth the travel for a day trip, when I could be going back to Selah instead?

I don't think the Roc in itself is worth a day trip, even considering the kinda short drive from where you're at. However, it is a really fun short course, and one that I always try to hit when I'm in Tyler playing one of the better courses (ie - Dogwood). I usually travel with a small group to play Tyler...we typically have our uber-competitive rounds at Lindsey Park, then head to The Roc to relax and throw some ace runs :hfive:

Bear Creek will have a mini each Saturday morning leading up to a C tier on March 17th. There are lots of other minis run by locals to check out during the week and on weekends. From my experience, us D/FWer's are pretty chill on the course (on the road is a different story, especially in Dallas :wall:), but I might be bias.

Also - my wife is from Paris, so I head up there a few times a year. First off, I'm sorry your temporary working arrangement is in Paris. :p

Secondly, that's quite a drive for some of these courses. I haven't been out to Tyler yet, but I would imagine Towne Lake in McKinney is closest to you, and that's still going to be about an hour.

I just saw this post. I appreciate your sympathy, haha. I'm making damn good money for a co-op at Kimberly-Clark so I don't mind spending money on gas to drive into DFW. It's worth it to get outta here for a while, that's for sure. I posted earlier about Towne Lake, I loved it and if I get time I will definitely be back to play it again, but I'm trying to get a taste of as many nice courses that I can before I leave in May.

I think I have decided to play Bill Allen and Lewisville (with a stop at PIAS in Carollton) this Saturday and then Sunday I'm going to Selah:D:D

I just saw this post. I appreciate your sympathy, haha. I'm making damn good money for a co-op at Kimberly-Clark so I don't mind spending money on gas to drive into DFW. It's worth it to get outta here for a while, that's for sure. I posted earlier about Towne Lake, I loved it and if I get time I will definitely be back to play it again, but I'm trying to get a taste of as many nice courses that I can before I leave in May.

I think I have decided to play Bill Allen and Lewisville (with a stop at PIAS in Carollton) this Saturday and then Sunday I'm going to Selah:D:D

I would play the lake first then hit PIAS/Bill Allen on the way back to 75 & home. The lake can get crowded quick on the weeknds, it's usually best to play earlier. Bill Allen is off the beaten path and I have never seen it too crowded, but is still a very enjoyable course. Got my first ace there 2 weeks ago :hfive:. If I wasn't already planning to play Bear Creek on saturday, I would totes show you around.

As of right now, wind is supposed to be out of the north on Saturday. It will be cooler on the front nine of the Lake course (since the wind will be coming off of the water) than the rest of the day. I'd carry an extra jacket.

I would play the lake first then hit PIAS/Bill Allen on the way back to 75 & home. The lake can get crowded quick on the weeknds, it's usually best to play earlier. Bill Allen is off the beaten path and I have never seen it too crowded, but is still a very enjoyable course. Got my first ace there 2 weeks ago :hfive:. If I wasn't already planning to play Bear Creek on saturday, I would totes show you around.

Thanks for the advice!

As of right now, wind is supposed to be out of the north on Saturday. It will be cooler on the front nine of the Lake course (since the wind will be coming off of the water) than the rest of the day. I'd carry an extra jacket.

Again... thanks! You guys are like all-in-one trip planning guides over here! Much appreciated:hfive:

we try! :D

what time are you thinking of hitting Lake Park? i might come out before i have to work in the afternoon.

Just finished playing the new 18 at trophy club. A few thoughts:

-The course IMO is now unfair. Lots (lots) of right hooks, and by hooks I mean meat hooks.
-The additional 9 were placed on the same land that held the original 9. This means lots of very, very short holes. Some holes complexity was raised by taking a few throws through forest (think the original hole 4) where there's little to no line to hit. You just kind of toss your putter on the walking path and then try for a bird.
-Gravel teeboxes. The addition of teeboxes is a plus, but the gravel is extremely unsafe. I don't know if this is temporary or the permanent solution.
-Some baskets were moved from their original locations, and some that were moved now serve as a different hole's basket. This means don't trust the numbers.

I realize it sounds like a lot of negative. I can appreciate all the work that went into the course. For me, I probably won't head back for some time. There's just too many hazards (thorns, poison stuff, wild life) to warrant another romp through the woods.

Somebody's been doing work at Audubon recently! Plus side - the well-known debris on Hole 2 has been removed completely, and the tee markers have been repainted. Down side - all of the alternate (blue) tee markers have been removed, and a few of the original markers have been moved to weird spots. Hole 4, which was already pretty short, has been moved closer by about 30ft. Also hole 16's tee has been moved closer, right in the middle of a small rut :\ All in all, the changes make the course look much nicer, and the city mowed this week, so it's in prime playing condition if anyone was considering a trip to the east side :)

Wow, what a weekend! Perfect weather Saturday and Sunday for some quality disc golf. Saturday I played Lake Lewisville around 10:30, and it was already extremely crowded. I was catching up to a new group every hole (no joke), but everyone was nice enough to let me play through. I always throw worse while playing through because I feel rushed, so for this reason I really didn't get to enjoy the course fully. I did really like the layout of the course, and each hole was unique. I might have to go back REALLY early sometime to enjoy it more. After this I went to PIAS to pick up some new plastic, and I was very impressed with the selection! Then I headed to The Colony to play Bill Allen. Despite the gravel/dirt teepads, I really enjoyed this course. The holes were mostly shorts, but very fun and technical for the most part. Lots of Ace runs! After I played a round, I stayed at the practice pin and putted for about and hour into varying wind conditions.

Sunday- Got to Selah Ranch around 9:45. WOW. Played Creekside first and thouroughly enjoyed every single hole. Donated some plastic to one of the lakes :( but I was not upset about it after I remembered where I was. After my first round I came back to the parking lot where a group of 6 was hanging out, so I talked with them for a while and they invited me to join up to play Lakeside. WOW. I didn't think it could get any better than Creekside, but Lakeside was simply astonishing!!! EVERY single hole was brilliant! I also really appreciated the 6 Dallas locals who let me play with them. They were all much better than I, so I learned quite a bit from just one round. Witnessed my first Ace, and they even got it on video! Also witnessed a disc "walk across water" on hole 2. It was insane. I really don't know if I will ever top Selah in the rest of my life! It was truly amazing. I will definitely go again before I head back North.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to share my experiences from the weekend! Thanks to everyone who gave advice, and if any of the guys who I met at Selah are on here, big thank you to you guys!

Looks like rain this weekend, so I'll be trying to entertain myself in Paris :( Then next weekend I'm headed to the Mavs v. Spurs game! So no DG trips in the near future, but in the meantime I'm gonna work on building up my backhand shot here in Paris!

does anyone know if they are starting the mini at crossroads today?

We'll be starting that mini on the 25th -- two weeks from today. We already have two local businesses (Subway & Genghis) who should be sponsoring us, with a club card (bag tag) that will offer 20% off food, and it's just across the hwy from the course! Plus we are looking to have CTP prizes every week, and an A-C-E pot (aces combined with eagles) weekly. As soon as I get the sponsorships finalized I'll put up a new facebook page and get everything on there. Players meeting at 3pm sharp Sunday afternoons starting March 25 (2 weeks from today).

See y'all then.