• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Friendly Ankle Brace?

Mr. America

* Ace Member *
I have a bulky one, that works well, just doesn't allow for much movement. Is there something that anybody here has used while playing DG?

Not sure whether I should just wrap it up tight with an ace bandage, get one of those small white sock like things, or one of the little but bulkier black velcro models, or something else?

I've only had ankle sprains from basketball, but IMO the only ones that actually do any bracing are the ones that you tie up. (I'm thinking this is the kind you have) If it were me, I would at least try that first before moving to something with less resistance.

Active ankles have been awesome for me in any activity I participate in. I had reconstructive ankle surgery on my left ankle and I didn't do anything without an active ankle for the following couple years. I like how they allow for hinging up and down, but don't allow the ankle to roll out to either side. I have a T2 and love it.

Here is the link:

http://www.activeankle.com/products/rigids

ive had alot of bad ankle sprains and breaks. the best brace i have is one that ties all the way up like a shoe and then has two straps that go under around the side of the foot. they can be anywhere from 25 to 100 dollars

the swedo tarsal lock is great, they also make a huge variety of others. ive used the 2 i have ever since high school soccer and they work perfect.

i recently got an Ace brand one... it has laces, but they are attached to straps that you pull around the ankle (tightening the laces) and attach with velcro. the whole thing is really adjustable with velcro and it really helps. ive been wearing it for about 3 weeks now... :(

i recently got an Ace brand one... it has laces, but they are attached to straps that you pull around the ankle (tightening the laces) and attach with velcro. the whole thing is really adjustable with velcro and it really helps. ive been wearing it for about 3 weeks now... :(

But have you worn it while DG'ing?

My ankle is feeling pretty good, still alittle tender when I move it in a specific way. I'm just wanting a little more support till I feel that its 100%.

My ankle is feeling pretty good, still alittle tender when I move it in a specific way. I'm just wanting a little more support till I feel that its 100%.

Yeah, that's the only time I wear it - ankle only hurts when I plant on it and even then it doesn't start until I'm a few holes in.

I'm assuming Stevo's talking about the Ace TekZone ankle brace: http://www.acebrand.com/wps/portal/...0225_nid=J1FFRNN7SRgs11640DJ385glRZ504Q8HLLbl

I have one myself that I've used occasionally over the last year or two, mostly while playing DG. I rarely even think about it being there when I'm playing, except when it occasionally occurs to me that my ankle's not hurting. I have these minor episodes of ankle pain once or twice a year; when that flares up, I use the brace for a few days or a week or so to keep it stabilized. I'm usually wearing mid-height hiking boots for extra ankle support anyway, but when the problem crops up that's not enough. The Ace brace is just enough extra support to keep me going pain free while it subsides. The lace-and-velcro system makes it really easy to put on and take off, and allows you to get the brace good and tight, and I like the feel of the gel padding around the back of the ankle. And they're only $12-$13 most places -- you can get 'em in any drugstore or discount store.

I'll go tomorrow and look for that one. Looks like it would have decent support, but still allow some movement.

I've had bad ankles for a years, lots of sprains, and a couple cracks. I should probably wear one while doing most anything lol.

I'm assuming Stevo's talking about the Ace TekZone ankle brace: http://www.acebrand.com/wps/portal/...0225_nid=J1FFRNN7SRgs11640DJ385glRZ504Q8HLLbl

I have one myself that I've used occasionally over the last year or two, mostly while playing DG. I rarely even think about it being there when I'm playing, except when it occasionally occurs to me that my ankle's not hurting. I have these minor episodes of ankle pain once or twice a year; when that flares up, I use the brace for a few days or a week or so to keep it stabilized. I'm usually wearing mid-height hiking boots for extra ankle support anyway, but when the problem crops up that's not enough. The Ace brace is just enough extra support to keep me going pain free while it subsides. The lace-and-velcro system makes it really easy to put on and take off, and allows you to get the brace good and tight, and I like the feel of the gel padding around the back of the ankle. And they're only $12-$13 most places -- you can get 'em in any drugstore or discount store.

Exactly! I agree - I don't even remember I have it on sometimes. I found one at a grocery store in a discount bin for $4! It seemed like it would be a little chunky and was a bit reluctant to buy it, but for $4 I figured I could give it a try. It is definitely worth $12-13 though.

If you ankle is mostly good I'd suggest something like an ace bandage wrapped CORRECTLY (most people bunch them up and cause constriction) and only put it on right before, and then take it off. If you feel sensitive afterward put it back on with a bit less tension, to give it support but not limiting your muscular interactions.

\/\/