• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Repurposed an Innova Standard Bag

brutalbrutus

* Ace Member *
Started bass fishing again after my shoulder injury. I was getting stir crazy and needed something to do to get out of the house. Got hooked again rather quickly and, as I am sure you guys will be able sympathize from hoarding disc golf stuff, the accumulation of tackle quickly became an issue.

I was just carrying around one standard size 11" Plano tray but soon I needed more room. I was at Walmart looking at some of the soft sided tackle box systems they had, when I realized that the tray I already had was pretty close in size to my old Innova standard bag that had been collecting dust in my garage. Went home and tried it and it fit perfect. So I went and bought two more trays for $6 apiece and saved myself $30-60 on a bulky soft side...

It holds 3 trays(1 for hard baits, 1 for soft plastics and jigs, 1 for spinner, buzz and chatterbaits), a couple bags of soft baits/trailers in the mesh pocket, another couple in the zipper pocket(or whatever you needed in those 2 pockets), I have my cutter/plyers underneath the trays and a small 2 sided tackle box in the side pocket for hooks/sinkers/etc. Plus it has a drink holder unlike some of the soft side tackle boxes.

So, I figured I'd share that in case anybody else is a causal fisherman and was thinking about upgrading their storage. I'm sure I am not the only one with a small DG bag laying around that needed to be used again...;)

(This is one of those times I wish I had a smart phone...)

Last edited:
Disc Golf has come full circle for me. When I started disc golfing, I converted an older soft tackle box into a disc golf bag. Now I have converted an old disc golf bag into a tackle box. I also re-purposed my old Back Saver straps to carry a small fishing ice chest.

Brutus, if you haven't looked into them yet, they make a Plano 3700 thin version that's substantially less deep than a standard Plano.
I've got three of them for my crankbaits in my tackle bag and they take up considerably less room / allow you to put extra boxes in the bag.
Highly recommended.

Brutus, if you haven't looked into them yet, they make a Plano 3700 thin version that's substantially less deep than a standard Plano.
I've got three of them for my crankbaits in my tackle bag and they take up considerably less room / allow you to put extra boxes in the bag.
Highly recommended.

I was actually looking at some of those the other day when I was at BassPro. One of the trays I have is a waterproof one that I used to use when I wade up the big creek near me(got a smaller square one now that is better water proof). It is a tad thicker and makes it a tight fit. The original Plano tray also has the big square slot on the one side that I don't like now that i have more storage and I don't need to put hooks/nail clipper/etc there. Definitely gonna get some different trays at some point soon. Might get 2 of the double sided ones if they fit lengthwise and I cant get 4 of the ones you mentioned to fit in it...

Last edited:
I used one of the Hard trays when fishing more, it was the tool box style. I would use a simple backpack style with my old mini stool for fishing if I got one, it is hard to use the Vertex type of fishing bag with stool on it near the shore as rocks and other things do not often lend for a flat surface to put the bag with stool down.

Latest posts