• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG trip with the boys...where to go?

JGreenNY

Hey,

I am planning a 3-4 day trip with my buddies for early July. We got guys who live on both coasts, so I figured that finding a spot in the middle of the country would be the most convenient.

We want to be able to play 2 different courses a day for 3 days, so the courses would have to be somewhat close to each other. We're mainly intermediate level players, but want to play some good courses.

Does anyone out there have some good suggestions for an itinerary...or even a region we should check out?

Thanks

Lebanon, KS is considered the geographical center of the United States of America. Kansas City is relatively close to there (250 miles) and appears to have a lot of well reviewed courses. Just speaking geographically here, as I have no experience with the courses myself. Maybe some KS players might have some input.

Click right on Kansas City from the link below and you'll be able to see for yourself.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse_map.php

Last edited:
Pretty much any state you choose will be good with some guidance. I live in Colorado so I'll give my ideas. Badlands 27, Johnny Roberts, and Bird's Nest are three good courses that could be played in one day with Johnny and Bird's both in Arvada and Badlands like 15 min from Johnny. Then for some mountain disc golf I would play Beaver Ranch/Conifer Park or Phantom Falls. Both are really sweet courses. You might even be able to play both in one day. Phantom Falls requires a tee time. Beaver is about 20 miles from Arvada and Phantom is a little farther up the road. If you have the drive to drive a little extra then the pueblo/ colorado springs area offers three great courses too. Pueblo City Park, Widefield, and Sakuna. It takes about 2 hrs to get to Pueblo but the three courses are worth it. Widefield/Sakuna are in/near CO Springs which is 30 minutes from Pueblo. This link has directions to Sakuna http://www.laser-diva.com/id76.html. If you don't want to drive down to the springs/Pueblo then you could play the courses up in longmont/boulder or the other denver area courses like exposition park and david lorenz(lighthouse), but the three sets of courses above would be an amazing three days. Mile high disc golf club is awesome and people would probably be willing to meet with you and be a guide if you wanted one (badlands can be very confusing without one). Check out MHDGC.org for the club site. Search on the map browser under zip code 80004 with a 125 mile radius to see the courses listed above and more. To see the pueblo/springs area go south on the map. Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions.

Last edited:
I hear there's a lot of courses in Iowa. I also hear there's a lot of courses around Cincinnati. And our Michiganders love talking up the courses in their state.

This March will be my 15th consecutive "annual guys trip" to the Austin area, so it is recommended, especially if you like BBQ. The course quality is lower without access to Circle R and Moody's, but you can still find 6 good ones.

Dallas would work, with cheap-ish flights.

In Des Moines you could play Pickard and Ewing one day, Ewing and Grandview another day, Big Creek and Walnut Ridge another day. 4 of those 6 are top notch and the other 2 are above average. But flights in/out of DSM are expensive.

Kansas City has enough quality courses for you, and much cheaper flights.

Charlotte would be good. Augusta would be good.

For any of the above, the heat/humidity could be extreme in mid-July. That doesn't scare me, but if it does you, you should look elsewhere.

The three best places I've played for multiple courses in one area where you can stay and be able to play something new every day are the area around Flip City, Cincinnati and Bowling Green. Around Flip you have the three Mason County parks and Leviathan, all of which are destination courses in themselves, with a few other courses within reasonable distance. Cincinnati has lots of courses, including a few really great ones like Idlewild, Banklick and Mt. Airy. Bowling Green has I believe 6 18 hole courses in town, with Holler in the Hills and Freeman Lake not too far north.

Agree with Mashnut on Bowling Green (not the TOP quality) but there are a lot of courses pretty much right next too each other, and a major airport is an hour away in Nashville/Louisville... some quality courses around there as well.

A good hit list for Kansas City should you decide to go there.

Water Works & Cliff Drive (near north side)
Rosedale & Rosedale Down Under (close to center of metro)
Shawnee Mission, Prairie Center, Wyandotte County Park (southwest suburbs)
Blue Valley Park (near east side, at 11,000 feet, it will take all day).

There are (will be) two new courses on the east side. Legacy Park in Lee's Summit (already in the ground) and Young Park in Blue Springs (hopefully by then).

Out west between Lawrence & Topeka, there will hopefully be a new course installed at Longview Park (USACE park & campground) on the east side of Perry Lake. Centennial Park in Lawrence and Crestview Park in Topeka are okay, nothing special.

Up 35 towards Des Moines. Graceland University & J&B Rolling Hills in Lamoni, IA, just across the state line.

Down 35 towards Wichita. Jones Park (2 courses) & Peter Pan Park, Emporia, KS.

In Wichita itself, Herman Hill Park & Oak Park.

Last edited:
I hear there's a lot of courses in Iowa. I also hear there's a lot of courses around Cincinnati. And our Michiganders love talking up the courses in their state.

Awesome courses in Iowa and the rest of the Midwest region, however, time of year plays a factor in that many of these courses are less appealing when it is 40 degrees with rain. Texas is much further south but generally speaking in the middle of the coasts. Dallas Forth Worth area offers tons of great opportunites there. Multiple courses can be played in one day and the weather should be decent there in the next month or so.

If you're adding a response to the original post, it said early July. Perhaps not the optimal time for a Texas visit. Nor here in the southeast.

That time of year, northern states are at their prime; Colorodo perhaps on the Western half of the U.S., great new courses in the New England area that I would love to hit that time of year; and have not been able to yet. Highbridge Wisconsin would be a great choice. All courses located in one place; great courses, and best time of year to be in Wis. Hornings in Oregon would be pretty sweet then too, I would imagine; and lots of courses at one site there too.

Also, if you choose High Bridge, Wisconsin, you will more than likely be flying in to the Twin Cities (St. Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota). There are some fine courses in this area that could make for a round after landing and a round before boarding for return. Would provide options for those waiting for other flights to come in as well.

Thanks

Thanks everybody for the excellent advice. I think we've narrowed the trip down to Colorado, Kansas City, or Michigan. The problem with the Flip City area is that its tough to get there easily from the two coasts. Are there good courses near the Detroit/Ann Arbor area?

Also, we got some good course advice near Denver. Are there any excellent courses near Boulder or Vail?

Thanks again

The course at vail and the ones near vail that I know of are at the top of a few ski lifts. I've never played them. I can imagine the views will be sweet but it'll cost you like 15 for a chairlift ticket. Boulder has Harlow platts but I haven't gotten a chance to get there either. The only courses near boulder would be the Arvada or Longmont area 15 miles south or north respectively. I've heard pretty good things about the boulder and Longmont ones but I think they may only be 9 holers but I'm not 100% sure.

Come to Michigan. I think we have the highest concentration of courses. There are about 40-45 courses in the Metro Detroit area. Your could easily break it down to 3-4 courses a day and spend no longer than two hours of time driving. You can start south of Detroit and play Vienna and Parmalee which are less than 15 minutes apart. Then drive for about a half hour and play Lakeshore, which has an excellent pro shop, not to mention 28 holes. Then head on over to Rolling Hills which is about another 15 minutes from Lakeshore.

The next day you can play the two courses at Hudson, Ann Arbor area, then drive for 10 minutes and play Independence Lake. From there head up to Kensington and play the Black Locust, about half an hour away from Ann Arbor. Hit Cass Benton if you have time, but beware the large crowds, if you can do it early in the morning you won't regret the trip. Cass is about half hour from Hudson, or Kensington.

Head over to the east side and play Stoney Creek, River Bends, and Addison Oaks, hitting Firefighters' park along the way. I don't play those as often as I would like, but they they are excellent courses.

I have never posted before but just could not resist the temptation to talk up the courses of Southeastern Michigan. The Ludington area gets all they hype, most of it deservedly so, but we have hosted two worlds that I know about.

I don't have any experience with DG anywhere but south Florida and Charlotte, NC so I have no room to say that Charlotte is any better(at the moment) for DG, but I'll give you the quickie on the Charlotte area.

In one day of discing, you could play Kilborne Park TPC, Sugaw Creek, and Reedy Creek with a total of 20 minutes of driving going from Kilborne-Sugaw and from Sugaw-Reedy. Kilborne is the Mecca of Charlotte disc golf, frequent meeting place of local disc golfers. Par 54(per CDGC, posted 57), with a longer Skilborne option of par 66. Sugaw, although in a rougher part of town, is a very, very technical course, playing a tough par 54 and is much safer when not playing solo. Reedy Creek is a par 54, a nice walk through the woods with short and stout pads for varying difficulty.

Charlotte also offers Pro-quality courses. Two new pro courses have just been put in place. Elon Park Long Course(Elong) is a par 66, with loads of distance. A quality course and alot of fun, although it still needs some breaking in, which will occur in the start of the busy springtime season. Another long course is Nevin. A tough par 67, Nevin will test every shot you carry, and alot more that you don't. A tough course that will only get tougher with the return of foliage.

These, with the usually Renny Original and Gold, Hornet's Nest and the Web, could have you busy for a week. Not to meantion the 6-10 other area courses within range to cater to whatever type of disc golf you are looking for. Whether it's close enough to the "middle" of the country IDK, but you sure would enjoy Charlotte for its disc golf.