• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Vacation: Tournament, Resort, or Destination?

PeterMonk

Birdie Member
I recently came into some money and am thinking about doing a disc golf vacation. I am looking for a little advice, though.

Should I go to a big tournament like GBO?

Should I go to a place like Selah Range?

Should I simply go down to Portland or some other disc golf haven and play the area courses?

What in your opinion would be the best use of time and money?

Why not head to Portland during the BSF, check out the top talent, and hit all the great local courses while you're at it. I went down for Worlds in 2014 and just had a blast. Horning's is a great place to camp and get your DG fix.

Not saying there's anything wrong with getting a little further away from your homebase, though.

Last edited:
Went for the Tuesday practice day at BSF last year. My buddy was playing in Ams and wanted to practice prior to the tourney. Played a round and got to see the top pros plan out there strategy for the course. Haven't been over to Horning's yet. I'll keep it in mind.

I recently came into some money and am thinking about doing a disc golf vacation. I am looking for a little advice, though.

Should I go to a big tournament like GBO?

Should I go to a place like Selah Range?

Should I simply go down to Portland or some other disc golf haven and play the area courses?

All my vacations revolve around playing as many disc golf courses as possible, even if I go to an event, I play as many nearby courses as possible.

Low budget would be to go to Portland and play as many courses on the way to and from. But, you could probably travel to Portland any time since you are relatively close.

I would try to travel as far away as possible and plan the trip around a specific event or disc golf destination.

While GBO is a very well run event and a fun experience, the courses in Emporia are not "all that". Emporia is not what I would consider a disc golf destination. You might try the KC Wide Open in Kansas City instead. It is top notch event and they have a lot of fun courses to explore in the KC metro area.

Also consider the Green Mountain Championships at Smuggler's Notch Resort in Vermont. The area is so amazingly beautiful and there are other quality disc golf courses a short scenic drive away. Smuggler's Notch Vermont is a worthy disc golf destination, whether or not you can play in the big event.

In other words, I would go to Kansas City or Vermont for a disc golf vacation even if the events were not being held during my visit. I wouldn't make a special trip to Emporia if I wasn't a player in the GBO.

Please look at my DGCR road trips and send me a PM if you have any questions about the courses or events I have played.

I would go to a hot spot/mecca type area and play as many "new to me" high quality courses as possible. New England, Portland, Selah Ranch/Dallas/Austin, Flip City Ludington, Charlotte, Atlanta/IDGC are all on my list of future DG vacation destinations. If possible, Flyboy is absolutely worth the trip as well.

One of my favorite trips so far was when I flew into LA and drove up north to the SF bay area. I played the 1st (Oak Grove) and 2nd (Huntington Beach) permanent courses. Then stopped at La Mirada, Coyote Point and Waller Park on my way to Santa Cruz for rounds at Ryan Ranch and DeLaveaga. Followed that up with Golden Gate Park and Stafford Lake all in 1 week. I am hoping to fly into San Francisco one of these days and drive north from there to see what the rest of the west coast's best disc golf courses looks like.

The Denver area is awesome as well. Ghost Town, Beaver Ranch and Bailey are all lots of fun. I am heading back there next month and already scheduled a tee time at Bucksnort. Not sure if I am going to have time for other new courses on this trip yet.

If it were me, I would definitely NOT want to make a tournament the focus of a vacation. Tournaments are fun, but if I'm on vacation, I want to be able to do things at my own pace and have the luxury of playing purely for recreation. That being said, I saw some member recommend scheduling a trip to a place the week after a big tournament, as you can play the course while it's still in great condition, and will likely be less crowded. Portland (and OR in general) does have some great must-play courses, but you can hit those on some weekend road trips.

If money isn't an issue, I'd want to fly out somewhere and hit as many courses as I could. One recommendation I'd make from my own DG vacations is to not make every day hardcore disc-centric, give yourself a day or two of sightseeing/R&R. Otherwise (at least in my case), discing starts to become a drag and almost feel like work by the end of it.

Considering time and money, I'd get to a DG mecca area with plenty of high quality courses within a short drive of each other so you can play during the week to avoid crowds. I've done it many times, these are my favorite areas: Maine, MA and CT, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and KC. MA and CT might be the best combo during the summer.

"DG Vacation: Tournament, Resort, or Destination?"

Do all three. Thailand - in January/February. Perfect time to get out of the winter weather in the Pacific Northwest. Just have to wait until next year. A+ experience. :thmbup:

Considering time and money, I'd get to a DG mecca area with plenty of high quality courses within a short drive of each other so you can play during the week to avoid crowds. I've done it many times, these are my favorite areas: Maine, MA and CT, Charlotte, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and KC. MA and CT might be the best combo during the summer.

So destination. Being in the PacNW I get to play wooded courses often, so which destination would have the best park-style courses? KC? Pittsburgh? I would like to see where the disc lands (even if in a lake) and not hunt it out on a new course.

I think I'd go to Selah Ranch, Trey Texas Ranch, and whatever else is in the area. Just by reputation and photos; I've never been there myself.

It spices up a vacation to go somewhere that's markedly different from where you live, and those seem to fit the bill---as well as not being as wooded as you'd get if you went to the IDGC or Charlotte.

Unless this is a summer vacation you're planning.

So destination. Being in the PacNW I get to play wooded courses often, so which destination would have the best park-style courses? KC? Pittsburgh? I would like to see where the disc lands (even if in a lake) and not hunt it out on a new course.

KC would be more open than Pittsburgh although the PA woods generally aren't loose your disc type on the world class courses near Pittsburgh. You definitely can throw/lose a disc on #15 at Deer Lakes.

btw, I totally forgot to mention IDGC originally. With 3 world class courses onsite plus the Augusta choices nearby that's probably my #1 destination these days! Hotels just aren't close by, about 25 min away.

I am thinking KC for this June. I have family in Omaha, so I can pay my respects to them then head down to KC for disc golf at Water Works, Blue Valley, & Indian Foothills or Bad Rock Creek. In KC maybe eat some BBQ, go to a baseball or soccer game, and stop off at the WW1 memorial. Then next year maybe someplace grander.

I am thinking KC for this June. I have family in Omaha, so I can pay my respects to them then head down to KC for disc golf at Water Works, Blue Valley, & Indian Foothills or Bad Rock Creek. In KC maybe eat some BBQ, go to a baseball or soccer game, and stop off at the WW1 memorial. Then next year maybe someplace grander.

Good choice. Have fun! :thmbup:

I was down there for a wedding back in '03 or '04 and got a round in at Water Works. I was so friggin happy to play an awesome course in the dark ages when I was depending on PDGA's directory to find new courses. Most of them were crap despite the glowing descriptions and details. Also went to a Royals game down there, but it got rained out in the 3rd inning.

Attachments

• Terrapin Station.jpg
    Terrapin Station.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 14
A Carolina/Georgia disc golf triangle trip could be fun too. Hit the IDGC and Lake-O/Hippodrome/Langley Pond in Aiken/Augusta area for a couple days, then hit the Upstate (Grand Central, Easley, Holston Creek, Tyger River, Pipeline, the new Woodruff course etc), then hang out in Charlotte for a bit. Or fly into Charlotte, then to Aiken Augusta, then Upstate, or reverse order. GSP isn't a terrible airport to fly in and out of, and I'm sure Augusta Regional isn't either