• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] DGA Breaker!

ATrainWecker

Eagle Member
DGA's newest disc, the Breaker, was PDGA approved today. It's an overstable putt and approach disc. I'm lucky enough to have seen a prototype and I think many people are going to be very happy with this disc! It is very similar to a Rhyno in profile. The one that I saw was FAF! I'm personally a Rhyno thrower, but will be giving this disc a try!

http://www.pdga.com/announcements/breaking-news-from-dga

How are people not excited about this? I feel bad for DGA...They have SUPER solid line-up of discs, yet they're still ignored...blows my mind!

That does resemble a Rhyno. Any profile shots out there? Could be good news for Rhyno throwers unhappy with current plastic.

Looks like a Ringer to me.

I'm guessing it'll be more overstable than that though?

I'll work on getting a side profile picture up, BrotherDave. These will be released in DGA ProLine plastic pretty soon. You'll also be able to get your hands on Sparkle plastic ones, which I'm pretty stoked about!

How are people not excited about this? I feel bad for DGA...They have SUPER solid line-up of discs, yet they're still ignored...blows my mind!

I brought this up in a thread about the Squall a while ago - some discs and companies got the mojo and the fanboys, and others just don't capture the fancy of the dg nation. The "Everything DGA" thread the other day managed a few pages then sank like a lead balloon.

I brought this up in a thread about the Squall a while ago - some discs and companies got the mojo and the fanboys, and others just don't capture the fancy of the dg nation. The "Everything DGA" thread the other day managed a few pages then sank like a lead balloon.

Exactly, which seems like a darn shame to me. It's like everyone just writes them off as "Diet Discraft". Meanwhile, DGA is still sneaking molds that would be All-Stars if Innova, Prodigy, Legacy or Latitude put them out. Killer Drivers like the Hurricane (Basically an extra-stable Destroyer, or a less stable Force) and the Rogue combined with sexy fairway/control drivers like the Tsunami, Riptide and Undertow, and you could easily have a pro-caliber line up. Throw in the fact that they have a Wasp (Shockwave), a Buzzz (Squall) and a Wasp SS (Aftershock), and now will have a putter for each level of stability...man...how can people not be into this company? It might be worth it to throw an all DGA bag just to be the only one! I honestly feel like almost any of us could switch out our whole bag for an all DGA bag and not miss a beat.

I guess there are so many disc companies out there now that you have to make some noise to get noticed: hire a team of top pros, come up with a catchy-sounding technology, or any number of gimmicks, real or not. Sadly, just making solid product may not be a sufficient business plan nowadays, unless the sport continues to grow as it has.

I always compare the disc golf industry to the craft beer industry, and am continually amazed by how many start-ups the market can bear, so perhaps even though DGA doesn't get talked about much here, they may still be doing good business.

DGA is mostly known for its baskets. They were late in the game to get into discs but as you point out, their lineup is more than solid. In particular, the pro line hurricane goes forever, and the aftershock is an amazing mid-range. The reef is a terrific putter and I'm psyched to check out this new offering, which really addresses a missing spot in their lineup.

I could see myself adding DGA discs to my bag before I added Discraft, not b/c I don't like Discraft but b/c DGA makes a few discs that are nuanced enough to be really appealing. The Tsunami (old Pred) and Rogue in particular always looked like good drivers for people (like me) that wanted a more tame Pred or Surge.

Their mids, particularly the Shockwave and Aftershock, are confusing as crap though. I've never heard a straight answer on how these are supposed to fly, one man's Aftershock flies like a Shockwave and vice versa.

The Reef is pretty nice though, even if it is just an APX in better plastic.

Throwing an all DGA bag would be fun. I honestly could see myself going that route in the near future. Although giving up the Aviar, Gator and Firebird would be tough for me.. The Reef is a great putter, and now with the new Breaker coming out I would have an overstable putter to compliment it! The Firebird could be easily swapped with the Tsunami. I even have a couple rare Sparkle Shockwaves that are pretty beefy to replace the Gator. Hmmm.. :D

I know of a good amount of people that have been clamouring for a premium plastic ringer type disc. I hope more folks see the DGA light with this release.

Yeah baskets

But don't underestimate floppy soft putters

Only Vibram Soft is close to their floppy putters(blowfly and gumbputt lines)

The Gumputt was my first "real" putter. I found one at a local course and started using it. My clearest memory of it was that even the jankiest of putts would flop in. Slightly low? Watch it squish and flip over the nubs. Weak Side? It'll just jellyfish into the basket. Too high? It performs like a snotball and oozes down into the cage. Roll away? I didn't even know what it meant until I switched putters. Hell, the only reason I stopped using it was because I felt like I wasn't getting any better at putting. Since everything went in, I never had to work on accuracy. I went out and bought 2 of the hardest putters I could find (early run Titanics), and now the feel of a soft putter literally creeps me out. I have a half a mind to get another (or a Vibram soft) just for quick greens and death putts.

Their mids, particularly the Shockwave and Aftershock, are confusing as crap though. I've never heard a straight answer on how these are supposed to fly, one man's Aftershock flies like a Shockwave and vice versa.

Here's what I know from my sample of one each. Keep in mind that I am high and I'm a noob:

ProLine (First Flight - I think they all are) Aftershock 167g flies exactly like my fresh DX Rancho Roc 176g. Despite the specs they are the same diameter.

They fly the same for me. Last week on a short 200 ft drive I hit the top of the basket with the Roc. I threw the Aftershock next and it took the same line and also hit the top of the basket. This story doesn't really mean anything, but I thought it would be an exciting diversion.

My SP Aftershock seems faster with more fade, but I only threw it one day.

I can throw the ProLine Aftershock hard like a Buzzz with no turn and with a Z Buzzz like fade at the end of 300 ft or throw it like a putter with a little anny to get a nice flat landing.

The ProLine (not First Flight, not Torque mold) Shockwave 172g is nuts overstable with very little glide. I don't have anything in my arsenal that is as overstable for it's intended distance.

I'm itching to try a D-Line Aftershock. If I were a limited mold/brand man I can see this possible mid lineup:
ProLine Shockwave for very overstable.
SP Aftershock for overstable
Proline for very slightly overstable
Seasoned D-line for stable (straight)
Beat D-Line for understable

Anyway, I like DGA stuff and look forward to the Breaker as well as some drivers.

Last edited:

Latest posts