• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] DGA Sail

has anyone thrown the sp

No, but I'm curious as well. I throw the Undertow in both p-line and sp and I find the sp just a touch less understable and just as long. The sp will come back from turn a hair quicker and finish with a bit more late fade. I would hope for similar flight from the sail, just longer. I may have to pick one up to try out.

No, but I'm curious as well. I throw the Undertow in both p-line and sp and I find the sp just a touch less understable and just as long. The sp will come back from turn a hair quicker and finish with a bit more late fade. I would hope for similar flight from the sail, just longer. I may have to pick one up to try out.

Really depends on how much snap you generate. Never thrown the Sail myself, but from the people I've seen, SP is most popular because it isn't as understable. But it is still very understable with little to no sign of coming back once it turns.

I've only field thrown the PL Sail a couple of times, but my friend loved his for turnovers until he lost it. After watching him hit almost right angle turning lines and keep it flat all the way to the ground on powered down hyzer flips, I grabbed a SP Sail when they became available.

I wasn't really sure if I would bag it, but after taking it to a tight wooded course with several right turning holes, I was pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to hit the same lines I was struggling to consistently pull off with more neutral discs. Effortless turn and lots of glide, even in SP plastic. SP might have a tiny bit less turn and a touch more LSS, but basically a new PL flight.

For me, it's shorter and slower than the Undertow. I also agree with the rim width determining speed, so I consider the Undertow 11/4/-2/1 and the Sail 9/5/-3/0

One thing I'm curious about is trying to reconcile the 11 speed with the 1.9cm rim. I usually think of a 1.9 cm rim of around speed 9.

For me, it's shorter and slower than the Undertow. I also agree with the rim width determining speed, so I consider the Undertow 11/4/-2/1 and the Sail 9/5/-3/0

I think you might have the two molds flip flopped. The Sail is slightly faster than the Undertow.

From DGA's page...
Sail 11/5/-5/1
Undertow 10/4/-1/1

I disagree with the posted numbers, and agree with Slinger. I think the Undertow's 2.1 rim should be categorized at speed 11, and the Sail's 1.9 should be speed 9. I'm willing to concede -4 turn tho. I backed it down to -3 due to the slower speed, and the thought that the glide might be what encourages the turn.

How does it compare to an Avenger SS?

I used to throw the Avenger SS for a nice long turning shot

Wondering the Sail is similar

Sail was the one disc that I learned how to throw rollers with, super flippy in my experience.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

A few questions:
Does the very high glide rating make the Sail curl out early on a roller?
How dumpy is the fade?
Which is firmer, Proline or SP?

I got my 170g pink proline sail in today and took it out and threw a round. I am loving the disc, some of my longest shots ever.

The numbers are off though. It's faster than a Volt but slower than a Inertia. Less turn than the Vamp but more than the Heat.
It glides like a Comet....

I am saying 9.5, 6, -2, 1

Sail

Tossed a Sail around for a bit on the field today. Had never seen one before. Mine is glitter Z plastic (or whatever DGA calls it). Unknown weight. VERY domey.

This thing reminded me of a light DX Leopard. Other than throwing rollers across the grass (something I never do on the course) this disc had no use to me. It is VIOLENTLY understable, like the most understable driver I've ever seen.

Even releasing from a steep hyzer angle the Sail would corkscrew into the ground. The power requirement on this disc is nonexistent. New players should look at the Sail. It will provide an effortless 325' with exceptional glide.

The Sail seems similar to the Heat, but the Heat will accept way more power without turning and burning.

As for rollers, the Sail seemed to work. I threw a couple that ended up straight. I had zero trouble getting this disc on its rim to roll.

Sail: 9, 6, -5, 1. Yes, I rate this thing -5 on high speed turn. The Sail is super, super understable and I literally couldn't power it down enough to throw a flat air shot with it. Even Mambas and Roadrunners have a better shot of not flipping than this thing. Very floaty, slow driver. 6 glide here is legit. This disc would be a nightmare in the wind.

Good disc for rollers or for extreme beginners, that's about it.

Last edited:
Tossed a Sail around for a bit on the field today. Had never seen one before. Mine is glitter Z plastic (or whatever DGA calls it). Unknown weight. VERY domey.

This thing reminded me of a light DX Leopard. Other than throwing rollers across the grass (something I never do on the course) this disc had no use to me. It is VIOLENTLY understable, like the most understable driver I've ever seen.

Even releasing from a steep hyzer angle the Sail would corkscrew into the ground. The power requirement on this disc is nonexistent. New players should look at the Sail. It will provide an effortless 325' with exceptional glide.

The Sail seems similar to the Heat, but the Heat will accept way more power without turning and burning.

As for rollers, the Sail seemed to work. I threw a couple that ended up straight. I had zero trouble getting this disc on its rim to roll.

Sail: 9, 6, -5, 1. Yes, I rate this thing -5 on high speed turn. The Sail is super, super understable and I literally couldn't power it down enough to throw a flat air shot with it. Even Mambas and Roadrunners have a better shot of not flipping than this thing. Very floaty, slow driver. 6 glide here is legit. This disc would be a nightmare in the wind.

Good disc for rollers or for extreme beginners, that's about it.

Glitter Z = SP

I have Proline 168-169 in my bag. Whilst it is understable, it throws fine.
Like the Comet, it will not handle any OAT at all. It needs more spin than the common driver as well.

True deal about it being glide of 6 though.

I threw BogeyNoMore's Sail (a whopping one throw) and it's really weird to me how much more understable the Sail is compared to the Heat because they're almost twins. The Sail has a bit sharper wing but that's about it. My one throw flew like my understable Big Z Heat. I was curious b/c I really like the Heat but I'm pretty sure I only like like the domey, heavy Z's so I'm keeping an eye out for anything I don't have to inspect personally. I don't think the Sail is this disc.

It does seem like a good disc for noobs and lower power arms though.

Loving the Proline Sail for hyzerflips and turnovers. Very controllable for low-power players, and I think it feels great in the hand. I'm not sure why it's classified as a Distance Driver, the rim width and flight are more reminiscent of an understable fairway to me.

I have a pair of 150 class Proline Sails. I don't know the exact weights as I don't own a scale and DGA simply tags them as 150 class. I regularly throw Sapphires and Jades, but I feel that there is a space between those two for another disc and the Sail looks as though it will claim that spot. None of these discs perform to their numbers. The Opto Sapphire has no turn and needs to be thrown with some anhyzer for max distance, whereas the Goldline Jade was close to its numbers when new but is far more understable now. The Sail is a very straight flyer with just a hint of turn and fade. It has the same plh as the Jade, but more dome and more bulk in the lower rim. Overall, one of the straightest drivers I have thrown at 320'. I'm a 60 year old noodlearm with a smooth delivery and good angle control, just for reference.

I'm a 60 year old noodlearm with a smooth delivery and good angle control, just for reference.

Greetings from a 61 year old noodlearm. I agree with your assessment although my sail is not 150 class (162 I believe off the top of my head). I find it my go-to driver for downwind or no wind distance (try an Innova Tern for effortless distance with a slight headwind). With some anhyser and a bit of wrist roll it is my roller disc from the tee. Also, it tells on me if I throw nose up because in that case it will not turn and will hyzer out early. Its speed number does not square with its rim width but I stopped worrying about that and just throw it. Cheers!

Latest posts