• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR encounters of the 3rd kind

Played a few rounds with willcarpenter last week. Met Strauss up in Plattsburgh, NY, and even met the man, myth and legend, timg. May have to start a new thread about him.

I don't know if this counts as a DGCR encounter, but there was a dude playing our local course here in Yellowstone because he saw it HERE on OUR site!!!!! He said he saw a review of it and had to check it out :) (Shameless plug)

played the silicon valley classic saturday and accidently met Dutch Viking. He saw my bag tag that said Huk Finn, and introduced himself. Really cool guy! Turns out he was on my friends list before i met him. Sweet encounter, bad harsh round at la raza all longs :(

The first guy I met was swellerdiscgo we got together at Newport News course. He's a great guy and fun to throw a couple of rounds with. We have tried to get together again but to no success.

In March of this year Prerube, Sidewinder22, jrawk, chiggins, and myself got together. We played at the Disc Outfitters Spring Equinox tourney. That was my first tourney and I had a great time.

jrawk has since met me at Newport News and we played 2 rounds together. He is threatening to tape me talking to my discs. It seems he thinks it would serve the greater good if this were done. Doesn't everyone talk to their discs?

Doesn't everyone talk to their discs?

I always whisper sweet, sweet nothings to my discs the night prior to playing.

I figure, give them some love, and they'll give me some lovin' back in return.

:D

Played with Dave242 this past weekend. He played all day Friday and I'm sure will be posting reviews and giving the run down on those. Got to my place Friday evening and we hung out for a while; prior to crashing for the night.

On Saturday, we played Pulaski (all courses near Fox Cities, Wisconsin). Course quite under water; and grass growing up through the buckets on some holes. Interesting experience. "Farm style course", I believe is the phrase Dave used for this one. There are two holes using a corn field here! :) Dave lost one in the water on a hole that is usually dry. Dave beat me here and most of the courses we played; though we really didn't keep scores very much. Neither of us had a great shooting weekend; but, he was better than I. I am realizing more and more that I'm getting old....anyway; back to the topic at hand. Second, we played Pamprin Park, Green Bay. Not a bad little nine hole course....Next; to private, Rolling Ridge; which may be the high point of his adventure. Probably the toughest course at least (though he did play Winter Park with a friend of mine on Sunday, and I don't know what his thoughts are on that course). Next, a new one for both of us; Lower Cato Falls in Cato, Wisconsin. Some nice views of rapids from the course. Decent course with nice five finishing holes. Otherwise, pretty open; 300 footish shots. Next, Grignon Park, Kaukauna; long tees, with another friend joining us. Finally, Kaukauna School in the near dark. Then, we hit a brew pub for a beverage.
On Sunday, we played Telulah Park, Appleton, and 27 holes at Plamann Park, Appleton. He was thinking Plamann may even get to 4.5 by his scale. I had to work in the evening; and so, Dave and my bud headed to Winter Park, Kewaunee. Other courses also involved after that I believe.
Really wet weekend here; we have had a lot of rain in the past month. I took a full body spill into a puddle at Plamann and got totally wet. :) Luckily it was hot enough that I was nearly dry by the end of the round.
Good to talk course design with Dave...A perspective that should be fairly obvious from his reviewing style; but was more elaborated talking with him in person; is that he rates based on personal preferences. Not that he belittles courses that don't fit his game; but that he feels courses should primarily be designed to fit certain level of player; and then, he analyzes whether said course does a good job in this regard. Again, this seems intuitive; but I didn't really realize that I rate courses on toughness factor more than Dave does. He really gears his rating system on what level of player the course is geared towards; and believes this should be the major factor figured by designers.
Was good to meet him; and fun to hang for a weekend....Incidentally, he does not have floppy ears; regardless of what his avatar may indicate....:)

It was great meeting you too Paul and hanging. Thanks a ton for your hospitality. Sorry I laughed when you slipped and feel into that puddle......but it was pretty funny (he was barefoot....and did not get hurt). I really enjoyed the heck out of Winter Park (more later)......but I wiped out big time on the tee of an very hard hole for LHBH....but did get a 3 still!

I met Superberry there which was a real pleasure - it must be that we are both EE's, since his design approach/philosophy totally clicked with me (and the resulting implementation he has busted his rear on reflects that). Plus, the craft brews he had were awesome (Ale Asylum I think) - thanks for that!

It was great meeting you too Paul and hanging. Thanks a ton for your hospitality. Sorry I laughed when you slipped and feel into that puddle......but it was pretty funny (he was barefoot....and did not get hurt). I really enjoyed the heck out of Winter Park (more later)......but I wiped out big time on the tee of an very hard hole for LHBH....but did get a 3 still!

I met Superberry there which was a real pleasure - it must be that we are both EE's, since his design approach/philosophy totally clicked with me (and the resulting implementation he has busted his rear on reflects that). Plus, the craft brews he had were awesome (Ale Asylum I think) - thanks for that!

I just knew Dave was the kind of guy that would laugh at you if you slipped and fell into a giant mud puddle, I just knew it!!;)

I met Jerman today. we tied at hotshots +5.

So I have played with: Carpy, WillACarpenter, DiscJon, DiscDog, Jrawk, Sidewinder22, Luvs2throw, Kachtz, Biscoe, Langjewel, Jerman, and BrianJ.
I played in a tourney with Chiggins and Jbolt, but never actually played with them.
I have met VeganRay, Cooker, and Timber, but did not play with them.

I am hoping to play with Vegan Ray and GottaFixIt in the morning

Played Flip city, Leviethen and The Beast in northern michigan over the weekend with Tallpaul, Shuie and Jukeshoe. I bumped into my bud Ovar as we were packing up to leave. There were a bunch of DGCR guys there camping over the weekend but I was pretty busy on the course so I didnt get all their names.

Was thankful to have JeffThroW to guide me at Sakuna Pines in Colorado Springs on Saturday.

Wish I could have put a better round together and goddamn if he didn't have the best thumber I've ever seen.

Played Flip city, Leviethen and The Beast in northern michigan over the weekend with Tallpaul, Shuie and Jukeshoe. I bumped into my bud Ovar as we were packing up to leave. There were a bunch of DGCR guys there camping over the weekend but I was pretty busy on the course so I didnt get all their names.

Yup. Had a splendid time! Tallpaul and Shuie (and of course the irrepressible DGCR man of action, Terry C) are as laid-back and nice as people come. Great senses of humor. Their campfire hospitality is second to none and was much appreciated. My buddy Joe made the trip as well.

I shot *much* better than last time, as I remembered to pack my forehand this time around.

I was giving Shuie and tallpaul a run for their money (pun intended) on the first half, but then started to play more along my usual game and Shuie ended up making some cold hard cash ($5.) I did get CTP on 18, netting me some sandwich money.

Some pressing issues that we squared away over the weekend:

Terry C has tuberculosis (not really.) :D

Sasquash/yeti/bigfoot really do exist, they're just really hard to see.

Tallpaul bends light around himself continuously, making him completely immune to being photographed...how else can I explain not getting a picture of him and Shuie? It certainly wasn't because I simply forgot....:eek:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I ran into Tallpaul and Shuie just today at Kenwood in Cadillac. I didn't know who they were until we were done. Also saw them at Flip on Friday.