• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Justin Trails meet up

I pulled a cart at JT once. Worst idea ever.

I couldn't agree more. U-disc had it listed as cart friendly so I loaded up my cart and after the hike from basket 2 to tee pad 3 I realized... big mistake pulling a cart. Made it to hole 8 before saying no more. Went back to hole 16 and finished out the course. Then proceeded over to the Classic course where I carried my bag throughout. Though I think a cart would be OK on the Classic course never again on Big Brother. On a good note I still have 8 holes to play on BB... hole 8 through 15... can't wait to get back up to JT.

I'd be down for this. When I travel to new courses with others (either my friend Joel or my brother) we always play best shot dubs... Pretty sure elmex would be on board as he (like me) doesn't keep score. Wolfhaley is the one you'd have to convince as he does. Don't know about the other guys...

People keep score? I'd be so afraid of that number I'd just rather not lol

I played Justin Trails way before big brother was installed, what is the elevation changes similar too?

Highbridge Granite Ridge,
Zobel,
Wilderness,
The new Alpine Valley,

??

Hope you don't say Mont du lac....

Follow up question...

I have an original Ridge Roller (when Joe was working with Zuca) and one of the earliest v1 (when Joe seperated from Zuca) maybe...bag/seat can be removed from cart...
Different width wheel bases.

Finally the question...
Curious about the carts you guys were pulling around?
Depending on weather, the amount of water I want carry and disc selections I want to carry
will help me decide on bag only versus cart options...

Mind you, I also have a third cart (RR where you can add bag like a Grip).

Bags...yeah, I has bags...

Large early Grip, small Grip, Mahal...and probably a couple more I have forgotten about in storage.

another question...
Are there benches at most tees?

Oh, it is looking promising for me to be there...

Fingers crossed...

Just not when I throw...

^I can't answer any of your questions, but the group has talked me out of pulling the cart at JT. When multiple guys who've played 800+ courses are telling me it's a bad idea, I trust that they know what they're talking about. I'm still bringing it along because I can use it at the other courses I'm planning to play and it doesn't take up much room.

Benches would be nice, but with the size of this mob those seats will be going fast. If there are no benches, I may go with my old Polack/hillbilly tourney setup: Lightning large bag with a 70's style lawn chair zip tied to the D rings. The chair weighed practically nothing and came along for the ride when you shouldered the bag.

Hope you can make it!

^I can't answer any of your questions, but the group has talked me out of pulling the cart at JT. When multiple guys who've played 800+ courses are telling me it's a bad idea, I trust that they know what they're talking about. I'm still bringing it along because I can use it at the other courses I'm planning to play and it doesn't take up much room.

Benches would be nice, but with the size of this mob those seats will be going fast. If there are no benches, I may go with my old Polack/hillbilly tourney setup: Lightning large bag with a 70's style lawn chair zip tied to the D rings. The chair weighed practically nothing and came along for the ride when you shouldered the bag.

Hope you can make it!

That is why I am asking...
If they were pulling something by RR I would probably skip the cart as well...
but if they were using something with wider wheel base, I might still consider the RR. Or at least the earlier one with a narrow wheel base.

Addition thought for carts question...

Is the terrain more like Highbridge Bear or Wilderness/Zobel...?

Otherwise, with my options on bags I can easily attach a stool, which I did for years back when I played tournaments...
The bag option will slim down my water options. Though I could go "Crazy John Brooks" method, large thermos that can be sat on...

wonder where I got that thermos stashed at...

Last edited:
Pulling a cart isn't undoable from my recollection. It's been almost ten years now since I've played JT though. Didn't own a cart back then. I have a standard Zuca that I'll use for local courses. Even Standing Rocks which is the hilliest one around here.

I'll be taking the Octothorpe probably. Possibly the Grip to more evenly disperse the water on each side.

I think HH Granite is a good comparison. Again, it's been awhile since I played JT though.

Hmm what is the record attendance for a DGCR meetup? I'm imagining notapro, thrembo, innova63, stardoggy all showing up (in addition to the fine folks confirmed). I did a search but came up empty...

What started as an idea for the Wolfhaleys and I to get another round in together this year has exploded! So the more the merrier.

Unfortunately, that weekend doesn't work out for me at this time. Maybe next time:(

Have fun!:D

I'd be down for this. When I travel to new courses with others (either my friend Joel or my brother) we always play best shot dubs... Pretty sure elmex would be on board as he (like me) doesn't keep score. Wolfhaley is the one you'd have to convince as he does. Don't know about the other guys...

I'm down for dubz. Gives me a chance to try stupid shots I may not otherwise. :hfive: It should also help speed up the round(s) considerably.

I pulled a cart at NoBo. Worst idea ever. :p

I watched my friends bang their carts around miserably at Chains Edge, was pretty stoked I left the cart home for that one.

Bumpity.

So is everyone still on schedule for this thing?

11 A.M. at Big Brother, Classic afterwards then possibly a LAX course if time allows. JT is the priorty obviosly.

Sunday A.M. Veteran's, Double Barrel combo with Playrecords and Countchunkula?

This is going to be awesome :hfive:

I think I have my wife convinced that Viroqua is a cool town to hang, so I might be able to get that in. Double barrel is opposite direction for us, so that won't be in the cards.

Were you still planning on trying to play Goose Island? Also, anyone planning on hitting Pettibone?

I think I have my wife convinced that Viroqua is a cool town to hang, so I might be able to get that in. Double barrel is opposite direction for us, so that won't be in the cards.

Were you still planning on trying to play Goose Island? Also, anyone planning on hitting Pettibone?

My mother's family used to be a big deal in Viroqua...
Will not vouch for it being cool town, been about 20+ years since we had a family reunion there.
Heavy Scandinavian heritage around there.

My mother's family used to be a big deal in Viroqua...
Will not vouch for it being cool town, been about 20+ years since we had a family reunion there.
Heavy Scandinavian heritage around there.

Hehe, I know that, and you know that, but she doesn't know that and by then it'll be too late :D

They can go hiking and out to brunch and I'm sure they'll have a lovely time. I'm quite happy just for the chance to tackle JT on that Saturday, so if we skip out on Veteran Hills, its no biggie. I do thoroughly enjoy that course though.

Hehe, I know that, and you know that, but she doesn't know that and by then it'll be too late :D

They can go hiking and out to brunch and I'm sure they'll have a lovely time. I'm quite happy just for the chance to tackle JT on that Saturday, so if we skip out on Veteran Hills, its no biggie. I do thoroughly enjoy that course though.

I think I haven't played Veterans in almost six years, and JT classic in probably twenty years.

I might. Haven't decided yet. Might as well since I missed it in May.

5 weeks. No matter what this time.

I hope. 😁

I'll repeat my advice about trying to play C2 after rain...
Don't do it, that ravine is no joke even in dry conditions.
I won't take my cart on that course, switch to my Grip, less discs to lighten the load. Of course C2 has some sort of place to sit most every tee, important detail for this old DG'r.

Ideas floated for Saturday bonus round...

So I ended up booking a camp site at JT instead of Bluebird. Dispersed, primitive camping (with bathrooms and showers back at the barn) is more my style.

I'm at 198 courses played. Planning on making Wilderness #199 the Friday before the JT meetup. Playing #200 with a bunch of other course baggers seems like the ideal way to hit the milestone. Looking forward to meeting and throwing with all of you!

Latest posts