• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR Mobile

Cool - thanks for trying. It is easy enough to copy from DGCR and paste into Google Maps, so no big deal.

I did notice the static map and the yahoo maps directions generator, but those are a little cumbersome (yes, we are spoiled!).

True.. better then nothing though :) I'd have to use those on my not so hi-tech phone (assuming I had a data plan) so I guess they serve a purpose.

I just tested a Google Maps link that will open the Maps app on the iPhone, and it's formatted like this: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=41.199852,-81.440445

Not sure how this will work on Blackberry or Windows Mobile, maybe someone here can test.

That looks like a pretty standard Google Maps link. Maybe they redirect on their end based on browser detection?

I just tested a Google Maps link that will open the Maps app on the iPhone, and it's formatted like this: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=41.199852,-81.440445

Not sure how this will work on Blackberry or Windows Mobile, maybe someone here can test.

I tried that link on my windows mobile (v6.2) and it took me to a browser-based/static map rather than the mobile app. That makes sense since windows mobile behaves very similarly to windows.

genius, this would be greatness....

iPhone max pixel dimensions are 480×320. Anyone using a Blackberry or Windows Mobile etc. phone, let us know what size screens you have. Maybe we can find a sweet spot for everyone, and post some guidelines for anyone wanting to create these scorecard JPGs.

I'll even work up a template map in Adobe Illustrator (vector art) format and link for download. I'll create some basic basket icons and a color scheme, and anyone wanting to tweak for their courses can use the file. Basically just need to create something that reads well at the target size.

I can export the .ai file to other formats for use with open-source vector editors as well (SVG or whatever you guys need).

Great idea! Sucks when you are in a new area and have to find a public library to get access to where some local courses are. Much easier now!

Check this quickie map on your mobile browser. Looks great on iPhone, and sized to fit the Photos app perfectly: http://bit.ly/67YRI - obviously view in landscape mode :)

I bumped up the sizes to make it as readable as possible without zooming. Let me know how it looks and if all makes sense at first glance.

Curious how it looks on other phones.

I have an AT&T Tilt (HTC tytnII) - screen resolution 240X320. Windows Mobile.

This picture only fits zooming to 50%. Readable and functional at that size.

I made similar maps for the Charlotte courses: http://www.charlottedgc.com/images/sugaw/sugaw_18.jpg (800x617)

How do those work? (it works fine at 50% zoom for me) I always like to put the hole lengths on the maps since signage is often lacking on the course.

Last edited:
I use Opera for a browser and it allows you to zoom in and out. Also the photo viewer does.

If I do not zoom out, the picture is ~4x the size of my screen so I do not seen enough of the image for it to be useful, and I have to pan too much and that's a hassle. At 50%, those problems are not a hassle and the map is readable.

Zoomimg to 25% gets the whole image on the screen, but it is too small to be readable (my browser frame takes up around 15-20% of the screen to begin with).

I have a Blackberry Tour with Verizon and everything worked great. I went to the Glen C Hilton info page and looked at maps and images and didn't have any problems.

Ugh, I really don't want to buy one of those fancy iphones, but this sure would be convenient. You're killing me, Tim.

I use Opera for a browser and it allows you to zoom in and out. Also the photo viewer does.

If I do not zoom out, the picture is ~4x the size of my screen so I do not seen enough of the image for it to be useful, and I have to pan too much and that's a hassle. At 50%, those problems are not a hassle and the map is readable.

Zoomimg to 25% gets the whole image on the screen, but it is too small to be readable (my browser frame takes up around 15-20% of the screen to begin with).

Aha. Yeah the image I uploaded is quite large (so it can be zoomed in and not lose quality) but maybe it's too large. I will have to play with the size, I think I exported it at 3x or 4x the size of the max iPhone screen size. Maybe a 2x would suffice.

On iPhone the images auto-resize to fit the browser window, and form there you can zoom in/out as you please. Good to know about the Opera behavior.

Let me know if this works better: http://bit.ly/ij2xf

One thing I often am using my phone for is when I have more time on a trip than I expect, so I want to look for the courses near the one I'm already at. Is there any way we could have the nearby courses links somewhere in the mobile version?

Thanks so much for doing this Tim, it's awesome to have a mobile version of the site!

One thing I often am using my phone for is when I have more time on a trip than I expect, so I want to look for the courses near the one I'm already at. Is there any way we could have the nearby courses links somewhere in the mobile version?

Thanks so much for doing this Tim, it's awesome to have a mobile version of the site!

Great call on the nearby courses.

Just what I was thinking!!! I could use this a lot!