• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - 2018 Utah Open Presented by Prodigy Disc

He foot faults his way to greatness...of course, I think the entire field did in this tourney too.

I'm glad Paul choked. Raging Paul / finish outside top 10 Paul is more fun to watch than the Paul from few years back.

Also your reactions are priceless when Ricky wins. So all in all great weekend!

One thing I really appreciate about the CCDG coverage, especially on the more wide open courses, is that they almost always get the disc release speed on tee shots. It helps a lot to give context when every throw is a crush, some slightly more some slightly less.

Also gives interesting insight on technique. I think it was one of the BSF rounds, they made the observation that Bradley Williams was throwing basically the same shots as the bigger arms...but doing it with ~10mph less arm speed on average.

DGPT - Utah Open Presented by Prodigy Disc, 2018 Mulligan's Creekside Performance Tracks

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• UOFPOTracks.png
    UOFPOTracks.png
    126.1 KB · Views: 174
  • UOMPOTracks.jpg
    UOMPOTracks.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 171
Also gives interesting insight on technique. I think it was one of the BSF rounds, they made the observation that Bradley Williams was throwing basically the same shots as the bigger arms...but doing it with ~10mph less arm speed on average.

I agree the video side of their work is improving rapidly.

Now if we could only get a word speed on the commentary. :p (rim shot, cymbal crash) lol..

Here's how the holes performed, in a new format. The bigger the gold star, the better the hole performed.

attachment.php

Attachments

• UOHoleStats.jpg
    UOHoleStats.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 153
Are we not going to talk about the T2 baskets? Is this the first pro event on them? It didn't look like they really improved from the T1's to me, but I've never personally putted on the T2's.

Rick's final round absolutely insane. 14 down on a course with that kind of length is just absurd. Eagle and Paul both played excellent rounds and LOST STROKES. They tied the previous course record and finished further back from Rick then they started.

That was the best Ricky has ever looked if you consider both the circumstances and the statistics. Eagle and Paul were pressing him very hard, but he kept dropping birdies. Wysocki has gotten into trouble in the pass when he starts playing safe rather than 100% C1 putting, and the 25% C2 putting is deceptively low considering his 74ft putt on hole 16 was outside of C2.

Both Eagle and Paul played the types of tournaments we have come to expect from them this year, which has been good enough to win on some weekends. Paul's hot rounds are as hot as ever, but the occasional bad round puts him situations where having two good rounds or one great round just isn't quite enough to get it done. The wind was a major factor with the bad 2nd round this week, yet consistency remains the lacking component preventing McBeth from winning more tournaments this season. When he's on he's on, when he's off he's off. McBeast Mode is an on/off switch. It is worth noting that McBeth looks more confident this year than during the previous 2 seasons.

Eagle looked great. Drives were good, putter was good, smart golf all around in that final round. What we saw this weekend is that Ricky's A++ game is better than Eagle's A game.

I didn't realize that 4 of the top 5 current top rated rounds are at Vista Del Camino. I'd think that shooting a comparably rated round anywhere else therefore becomes more impressive. The course was not the most exciting, but delivered about as well as a golf course can (with substantial help from the players who laid down some hot final rounds). OB was very much a factor, but using sandtraps, walled off islands, and water feels much less artificial then ropes. Pin placement was tricky on most holes and required precision to park. The wind during round 2 looked stupid hard to play in.

Even though the top 3 finishers were composed of the 3 players who are currently having the best season, it was nice to see a nice variety of players on the feature/lead cards. I hadn't seen much footage of Lewis Bitney, Austin Hannum, Preston Johnson, Alan Wagner, or Sias Elmore. I always enjoy seeing some different faces.

All in all, a fun DGPT event in June.

Are we not going to talk about the T2 baskets? Is this the first pro event on them? It didn't look like they really improved from the T1's to me, but I've never personally putted on the T2's.

Though I personally don't care for those baskets, I think they performed pretty much the way they were designed to. Anything that hits the center "net" of chains will stick. Unless its "too hard" and then bounce outs can happen. Anything high and wide was deflected away. Though tbh, I haven't watched all the vids yet, been a crazy weekend for me. Also, I had a bad signal for this event cause the weather wasn't great here, so I wasn't really paying as much attention to the live feed as I normally do...

Though I personally don't care for those baskets, I think they performed pretty much the way they were designed to. Anything that hits the center "net" of chains will stick. Unless its "too hard" and then bounce outs can happen. Anything high and wide was deflected away.

Including vertically oriented thumber bounces!

The fact that we aren't talking about them much demonstrates that they performed sufficiently well.

It probably wouldn't hurt to mess with the design of hole 12. It is performing less effectively than a flat wide-open hole of that length would. The "trouble" on that hole is only affecting the better players, damping their chances to get better scores than worse players.

Hole 9 did a good job.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Holes2and9Xrays.png
    Holes2and9Xrays.png
    129.2 KB · Views: 153

Latest posts