• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Dynamic Discs Open

I've decided to start hassling the Twitter of David Samsom - former Miami Marlins team president and current CBS Sports podcaster - about trying to get Jeremy Rusco on his podcast Nothing Personal. A discussion between Samson with his years of experience as a sports executive and Jeremy Rusco over a growing brand in a growing sport would be great exposure.

Anyone else want to try to hassle both parties to make this happen? Or any ideas on any other CBS Sports personalities whose shows would fit with disc golf? I don't watch any CBS Sports and only know David Samson from his time on the LeBatard Show Local Hour. With DDO on CBS Sports Network I'm betting we can get SOMEONE or multiple SOMEONES to bite. Lets go!

I tweeted coverage of DGLO Final Round from JomezPro at the following CBS Sports personalities, in the hopes it spurs them getting some disc golfers on their shows for a segment. Whether thats someone from DGPT, Dynamic Discs, or PDGA - Don't care. But we all need to be spamming CBS personalities between now and the airing of the DDO to try to get some coverage, given they have an incentive to do it right now with DDO coming up on their channel.

I went with as many people who talk general sports or golf on their channels as possible.

@davidpsamson
@kyleporterCBS
@mark_immelman
@rickrungood
@therealGFD
@dannykanell
@raja_bell_19
@nickfaldo006
@MichaelBreed
@jimrome
@tikibarber
@tikiandtierney
@adamschein

Please consider tweeting these folk, or messaging them on their instagram, or posting on their Facebook Pages.... Whatever you can. The DGLO Final Round coverage is fantastic, and a great example of what JomezPro (and CCDG) are going to bring to CBS Sports Network for the Dynamic Discs Open. We should be pushing this to give these guys as many excuses to talk DG as possible in the coming weeks.

CBS Sports is not the same thing as CBS Sports Network. CBS SN is a tiny, obscure cable channel that very few people receive, watch, or care about. Versus CBS which is obviously a major network. I seriously doubt that anyone up in CBS Sports really cares about the SN channel.

I liked Charlie Eisenhood's perspective on this, discussed on the Upshot podcast, based on his experiences with getting Ultimate onto tv channels. This play is probably more about giving disc golf an ounce of legitimacy going into any future partnership discussions, rather than actually getting any meaningful viewership. Nobody watches CBS SN, but at least it's something you can put on disc golf's resumé.

Last edited:
CBS Sports is not the same thing as CBS Sports Network. CBS SN is a tiny, obscure cable channel that very few people receive, watch, or care about. Versus CBS which is obviously a major network. I seriously doubt that anyone up in CBS Sports really cares about the SN channel.

I liked Charlie Eisenhood's perspective on this, discussed on the Upshot podcast, based on his experiences with getting Ultimate onto tv channels. This play is probably more about giving disc golf an ounce of legitimacy going into any future partnership discussions, rather than actually getting any meaningful viewership. Nobody watches CBS SN, but at least it's something you can put on disc golf's resumé.
Most of the names I linked are personalities from CBS Sports Network, which includes their podcasting network of personalities. Only a few of them are CBS Sports at the top level as you described. If you've got time - get bugging them.

I'd love to hear a "Disc Golf Guy" segment on Jim Rome. That would be a riot.
Right? Contacting Rome and Tiki & Tierney are the equivalent of a guy who has been 890s for years insisting on playing advanced - A guy can dream.

Most of the names I linked are personalities from CBS Sports Network, which includes their podcasting network of personalities. Only a few of them are CBS Sports at the top level as you described. If you've got time - get bugging them.

How much are those guys discussing/promoting the WNBA, or pro bowling, or World Team Tennis, or celebrity poker, or the other events being broadcast by the CBS SN? Basically, they don't. And nobody would listen to them if they did.

I mean, props to you for being so gung-ho on this, but I'm just cautioning you to be realistic here. Don't get your hopes up. Like I said, I don't even think DD or the DGPT are expecting actual viewership, CBS SN is terrible for that, and that's not the point of doing this.

How much are those guys discussing/promoting the WNBA, or pro bowling, or World Team Tennis, or celebrity poker, or the other events being broadcast by the CBS SN? Basically, they don't. And nobody would listen to them if they did.
Yes, I'm aware. Welcome to the Coronavirus world - baseball might just take a nosedive this week. Football may not happen. The entire conversation is around the virus and a lot of personalities are looking for a chance to talk about actual sporting competition. Enter the DD Open and disc golf. For at least ONE fifteen minute segment on MAYBE a few of their shows.
I mean, props to you for being so gung-ho on this, but I'm just cautioning you to be realistic here. Don't get your hopes up. Like I said, I don't even think DD or the DGPT are expecting actual viewership, CBS SN is terrible for that, and that's not the point of doing this.
I have no "hopes up" regarding the possibility of getting DG on their shows.
However you're certainly one of the people dashing any hope that disc golfers give enough of a **** to spend 20 minutes doing something very small and easy. The purpose of this is... it's a test. To see what happens. What is the viewership like? What numbers do happen? What sponsors might be attracted? Why wouldn't we as passionate fans want to boost what they're able to get from it, help push the numbers from the gray to the slightly less gray and toward something networks might have an interest in in the future?

I have no "hopes up" regarding the possibility of getting DG on their shows. However you're certainly one of the people dashing any hope that disc golfers give enough of a **** to spend 20 minutes doing something very small and easy. The purpose of this is... it's a test. To see what happens. What is the viewership like? What numbers do happen? What sponsors might be attracted? Why wouldn't we as passionate fans want to boost what they're able to get from it, help push the numbers from the gray to the slightly less gray and toward something networks might have an interest in in the future?

Oh I'm totally on board with DD/DGPT giving this a shot. It's awesome to be able to tell potential partners that the DD Open was aired on cable network television, and that's a gift for everyone trying to promote disc golf in any capacity.

But viewership on this is not going to happen, no matter how much promotion is done. Very, very few people even have access to the CBS SN. Again, I'd encourage you to listen to Charlie Eisenhood discussing his experience with Ultimate, on the Upshot podcast (https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2020...n-cbs-sports-network-pres-by-pound-disc-golf/). They've been able to get both post-produced and live Ultimate events on TV, steadily working their way up bigger and bigger ESPN channels. Even still, their viewership numbers are shockingly, shockingly low, and that's even including the die-hard fans that specially tune in. But they've still been able to leverage those experiences in discussions with other business partners, and that's the part that actually counts, not viewership numbers.

Keep in mind that DD paid the CBS SN significant money to air this, not the other way around. CBS SN have almost no reason to promote this, they've already got their money. Tweeting at those dudes will not move the needle in any way whatsoever, there are other places to focus your attentions.

Oh I'm totally on board with DD/DGPT giving this a shot. It's awesome to be able to tell potential partners that the DD Open was aired on cable network television, and that's a gift for everyone trying to promote disc golf in any capacity.

But viewership on this is not going to happen, no matter how much promotion is done. Very, very few people even have access to the CBS SN. Again, I'd encourage you to listen to Charlie Eisenhood discussing his experience with Ultimate, on the Upshot podcast (https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2020...n-cbs-sports-network-pres-by-pound-disc-golf/). They've been able to get both post-produced and live Ultimate events on TV, steadily working their way up bigger and bigger ESPN channels. Even still, their viewership numbers are shockingly, shockingly low, and that's even including the die-hard fans that specially tune in. But they've still been able to leverage those experiences in discussions with other business partners, and that's the part that actually counts, not viewership numbers.

Keep in mind that DD paid the CBS SN significant money to air this, not the other way around. CBS SN have almost no reason to promote this, they've already got their money. Tweeting at those dudes will not move the needle in any way whatsoever, there are other places to focus your attentions.
This isn't an zero sum game. As I asked the other dude: then when should we bother?
The programming airing on CBS isn't some magical bullet no one is promoting it as such, least of all me. BUT this is the precise moment that an effort like this SHOULD be made. Sports personalities with tons of dead air time debating **** like Stan van Gundys quest to get a blue check mark on Twitter for 45 minutes. Our sport being on CBS isn't intended to move a needle, it is used as an excuse. It is a tie-in that could get some talking head desperate for ANY sports to maybe give 12 minutes to disc golf.

Is there a time for this yet??? Want to start talking it up, maybe a viewing party for the final round show....

DGPT site says sometime in August. I only looked quickly and didn't see a date.

I checked https://areyouwatchingthis.com/tv/stations/cbssn-cbs-sports-network and it's only shows the next two weeks. I didn't see it there.

Here's the spectrum guide for CBS SN in August...

https://www.tvpassport.com/tv-listings/stations/cbs-sports-network-usa/3115/2020-08-01

Nothing on it yet but there are quite a few TBA listings...
Still no listing yet... Though there is a conspicuous one hour slot that is "To Be Announced" Thursday the 20th at 9pm...:popcorn:

*Knocking on wood to prevent the brutalbrutus hoodoo jinx*

Couple pretty decent rounds going early...

Tyler Horne -7 thru 13. Got the bird on the KY Gap hole. He's won some big events in his time and was t-2nd behind McBeth at the Hambrick a few years ago when it was still an NT

Kris Orrick bogey free -6 thru 10

Local GM player and father of Becca, Dave Cox bogey free -3 thru 12

Last edited:
Well... I guess I'll have to cut the head off a live rooster cause the knocking on wood didn't help... Cox and Orrick both took a bogey, lol...:doh:

lIVE+cHICKEN.jpg

Horne was -9 thru 16 but he's got two OBs on the goofy creek hole...managed to salvage just a bogey anyway.

Looks like Corey Ellis is gonna have a fun day. birdie, triple, birdie and OB on hole 4 to start lol.

Brodie par, par to start

Last edited:
From Jomez's YT channel...

JomezPro

attachment.php

2 hours ago
Don't let Simon's right foot distract you from the fact that you can watch our coverage of the Dynamic Discs Open on CBS Sports Network August 26-29. �� More info at https://www.jomezpro.com/tour-news/

Get ready to watch four 1-hour telecasts of the Dynamic Discs Open on CBS Sports Network August 26-29:
Opening Round 1: Wednesday, August 26th, 7:00 PM EST
Moving Day Round 2: Thursday, August 27th, 7:00 PM EST
Final Round 3: Friday, August 28th, 7:00 PM EST
High Stakes Skins Match: Saturday, August 29th, 7:00 PM EST

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Latest posts