• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Dynamic Discs Open

This is just my opinion....

I've read some of the comments about Paige Shue. I watched the 2020 DDO where she commentated; the one thing that surprised me was her frequent comments about being nervous/scared of a shot (I don't remember her exact wording). She has the ability to play great - but she needs to be more confident in herself and her abilities. I don't hear Paige Pierce talking about being nervous/scared of a shot.

Just my opinion, but I have been well pleased with the live broadcasting. Back when I ball golfed a little, I watched a few events on TV, and that bored me to tears. These live broadcasts have a very nice amount of action, with fairly poignant insight into what is going on out there as well. Honestly, especially with the Preserve course, there is no a whole lot of excitement, other than the logjam on top. Little water, little OB, little scrambling, etc. They did a great job with what they were presented with. Doss is low-key for sure, but I like him. Again, just one vote here, I get that. :)

I've read some of the comments about Paige Shue. I watched the 2020 DDO where she commentated; the one thing that surprised me was her frequent comments about being nervous/scared of a shot (I don't remember her exact wording). She has the ability to play great - but she needs to be more confident in herself and her abilities. I don't hear Paige Pierce talking about being nervous/scared of a shot.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. But then again, I think "not being scared of taking" a certain shot comes with preparation. If Paige S. had prepared differently she may not have been afraid of those shots. On the flip side, Paige P has been criticized in the past for her lack of consideration of the situation when "going for it" at certain times when it was debatable that "going for it" was necessary.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. But then again, I think "not being scared of taking" a certain shot comes with preparation. If Paige S. had prepared differently she may not have been afraid of those shots. On the flip side, Paige P has been criticized in the past for her lack of consideration of the situation when "going for it" at certain times when it was debatable that "going for it" was necessary.

With Paige Pierce, I think the difference is that "I'm far enough ahead that I can try and go for this - missing won't matter and if it does, I'll make it up on another hole".

An aside: On Paul McBeth and Paige Pierce being so good....they are 'robotic'. I've watched them in tournament videos, in person, and in their 'how to' videos. It's especially noticeable with their putting. Watch Paige Pierce putt....it is almost the exact same movements. Same with Paul McBeth - I watched a video where he does the 10 foot challenge (putt 5 discs at 10 feet, move back 10 feet, repeat to 50 feet), his every movement is the same regardless of the distance.

We have been getting lots of positive responses to the commentating crew. Everyone has preferences. Some like a laid back feel, but that only works in post production. In live we are looking for a much more professional format.

Going with that "casual armchair" feel for 6+ hours would be horrible.

I didn't realize I was actually giving feedback directly to DGPT. I would have moderated my tone instead of being more flippant.

First off, I understand live commentary, especially for 6 hours, is brutally hard. All respect. Second, I'm quite happy to have plunked down some money to help grow something that I think can be really special.

S
Now to my point. It was not about "professional", but rather style. If you now college basketball, I don't think anyone has ever confused Jay Bilas for someone who is unprofessional. He is also one of the most entertaining commentators in basketball.

And he doesn't say things just to generate narrative. He doesn't speak in cliches unless those cliches have real meaning and applicability in the moment.

Compare him to Jimmy Dykes. He is "entertainining" and he uses the same words Bilas does, but his commentary is not necessarily applicable to the specific moment. It's generic and a tad pre-determined.

I'm talking about trying to stay way more towards Bilas and away from Dykes.

I'd appreciate commentators providing more information about what's going on in the mind of the pros. When I hear smart pros (McBeth, Philo, and Sexton come to mind) talk about DG, I hear them giving pointers that are helpful. That helps me understand how to improve, and I wish they'd do it more.

Related to this, I enjoy hearing the emotions a pro is going through, but I don't want to be "forced" to experience those emotions because it takes the focus off of the actual golf. Doss is good at communicating that emotion, but when he starts yelling, flirting with his wife, or calling people by their silly nicknames he uses off the course, I really don't enjoy that. For instance, when he yells "wow" after something unexpected happens, it makes me focus on him, not what's happening on the course. On the other hand, when he talks about Nikko's emotions, he is much more reserved, objective, and calm.

Maybe what I'm saying is that I want the commentators to enhance my viewing of what's happening on the course (by telling me more than what I can observe), and I want commentators to avoid communicating their own emotions.

Maybe what I'm saying is that I want the commentators to enhance my viewing of what's happening on the course (by telling me more than what I can observe), and I want commentators to avoid communicating their own emotions.

Definitely yes to the first part of this. I like the pro commentary specifically for helping me understand, past the superficial level, what's going on. On the second part, I think that when a pro is actually impressed by something another player does, it's great to hear some emotion.

Where I would draw the distinction is when they are "Wow"ing something that isn't unexpected. If Paige Peirce throws a drive out to her average drive distance, or Nikko throws a flex shot, that's a typical play. Point that out, but don't try and make me excited about by pretending you didn't expect it.

I understand the casual viewer needs to get "pulled in", but I don't think this really does that. Commentary should be a genuine reflection of the person giving it. Dickie V., as annoying as I find him today, became a sensation in the 80s and 90s precisely because he really is that excited about basketball.

This was pretty much exactly what I said in one of my prior posts.

I don't think Paige Pierce has ever been scared of a shot in her life. Paige S is much more timid.

Playing nervous/scared isn't gonna get you on the podium.

Emporia Country Club is basically Paige S's home course. She should have every shot dialed in there by now. Being nervous and conservative isn't going to work on a monster (long) course like that one.

Last edited:

I won't say it's right or wrong, but Paige P has never been afraid to live by the sword.... or die by it. I know she's lost tournies before by being too cavalier and running into OB issues.

That said, her style of play will still win her a lot of tournies. IDK if someone finally gave Paige P a pep talk, but this year she seems to be making far less dumb mistakes on the course. Her drives are straighter, and she's had far fewer OBs. I just remember in her Dynamic days she always seemed to be turning Defenders over. With the Zeus she doesn't do that. From tee to green she looks really polished. Her disc selection is great, and she obviously has great familiarity with every disc in the bag. IDK, maybe she just clicks with Discraft's discs more than Dynamic's.

You're right that I can't really put only Paige S on the spot when I say she plays conservative golf in relation to Paige P. I only did so because Paige S was commentating and on almost every hole stated she was afraid to make certain shots. I just know she's capable of throwing better than that. It seemed like her head wasn't quite into that tourny.

At least half of the womens' field seems content with shooting for par and not taking risks. Those women will occasionally find themselves atop the leader board, but only if Paige P or Catrina aren't playing, or are struggling badly.

With Paige Pierce, I think the difference is that "I'm far enough ahead that I can try and go for this - missing won't matter and if it does, I'll make it up on another hole".

An aside: On Paul McBeth and Paige Pierce being so good....they are 'robotic'. I've watched them in tournament videos, in person, and in their 'how to' videos. It's especially noticeable with their putting. Watch Paige Pierce putt....it is almost the exact same movements. Same with Paul McBeth - I watched a video where he does the 10 foot challenge (putt 5 discs at 10 feet, move back 10 feet, repeat to 50 feet), his every movement is the same regardless of the distance.

Oh we live in a microwave world of the here and now. On Paige, she is also the definitive #1, but does sometimes have a tendency to "go for it" at inopportune times. Not nearly like Paul. How soon they forget.

Oh we live in a microwave world of the here and now. On Paige, she is also the definitive #1, but does sometimes have a tendency to "go for it" at inopportune times. Not nearly like Paul. How soon they forget.

what time in the video?

what times in the video?

FTFY.

On THESE 9 HOLES specifically, they were at 12:57 & 13:43 costing bogey by "going for it" after a good drive.

And again on 24:06 and 31:03 costing her a double when the pitchouts would have assured her of only taking bogey.

It isn't unusual. And I'm not against it. I've defended Paige on these and other forums often for sticking with her game plan. Her style is aggressive and she really doesn't change it. Good for her. I applaud staying with your style. I just pointed out earlier that it happens and she's been criticized for "not being afraid to go for it" when she doesn't succeed, just like she's praised on this thread for "not being afraid to go for it" when it succeeds.

In this 1/2 round she gave up 4-5 strokes to the teenager, and ended this two-round tourney 13 or 14 strokes out of first mired in the middle-of-the-pack. She's recently shot lights out, but I could contend that ECC and the Preserve play more to her aggressive style, especially at ECC where she knows the course well, and the Preserve where long drives being slightly off aren't punished in any way. Notice that differently for McBeth, when he has a bad day/round, or someone else plays out of their mind, he finishes 2nd or 3rd.

This was pretty much exactly what I said in one of my prior posts.

I don't think Paige Pierce has ever been scared of a shot in her life. Paige S is much more timid.

Playing nervous/scared isn't gonna get you on the podium.

Emporia Country Club is basically Paige S's home course. She should have every shot dialed in there by now. Being nervous and conservative isn't going to work on a monster (long) course like that one.

I won't say it's right or wrong, but Paige P has never been afraid to live by the sword.... or die by it. I know she's lost tournies before by being too cavalier and running into OB issues.

That said, her style of play will still win her a lot of tournies. IDK if someone finally gave Paige P a pep talk, but this year she seems to be making far less dumb mistakes on the course. Her drives are straighter, and she's had far fewer OBs. I just remember in her Dynamic days she always seemed to be turning Defenders over. With the Zeus she doesn't do that. From tee to green she looks really polished. Her disc selection is great, and she obviously has great familiarity with every disc in the bag. IDK, maybe she just clicks with Discraft's discs more than Dynamic's.

You're right that I can't really put only Paige S on the spot when I say she plays conservative golf in relation to Paige P. I only did so because Paige S was commentating and on almost every hole stated she was afraid to make certain shots. I just know she's capable of throwing better than that. It seemed like her head wasn't quite into that tourny.

At least half of the womens' field seems content with shooting for par and not taking risks. Those women will occasionally find themselves atop the leader board, but only if Paige P or Catrina aren't playing, or are struggling badly.

what time in the video?

OK, OK, peeps. Now that you've seen the Silver Cup, do you see what I was talking about? I felt like Paige gave up something like 10-15 strokes over the course of the three rounds of the event with her "I'm not afraid to go for it" style. Then that same style (this is not a spoiler) gets her back tied for the lead with one hole left in the final round, after being down three strokes with three holes to play. Of course the difference between Emporia Country Club & The Preserve and here was that the wooded course provided ample punishment for that when that style was not executed correctly, and even a couple times running the putt cost her an OB extra stroke. It happens. Not all the time, but it happens.

Now I'd also say that I love her style. You don't tell Serena Williams that,"...since you've lost 6 of your last 8 major finals and primarily to players with the 'counter-puncher' style, you need to play more defensively or conservatively." Nope, you just don't do that. A champion needs to play how they got there and do what works best for them. I love Paige's style. She is a colleague, a friend, someone I've known for a long time. She's far and away the best in the game right now. She has some work to do, though, to be to the women's game what Paul is to the men's -- and to reach that proverbial 1000-rating she so desperately desires. Gonna be challenging as she moves into her 30s.

Is there a time for this yet??? Want to start talking it up, maybe a viewing party for the final round show....

I was just telling my wife that I can't wait to see disc golf on cbs. Thought it was sometime here in late July

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts