• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 MVP Open at Maple Hill Sept 3-5

I played the event this weekend and called provisional each time I went to the drop zone in case it was a close call. It's a really quick and easy thing.

^ This.

A player can call provisional, head to the drop zone, make their shot in about 30 seconds and not affect "round flow." A few folks are painting these worst-case scenarios where every player is calling provisional on every hole with OB and it's backing up the entire tournament, every tournament.

The reality is that these situations happen few and far between. If there's even the slimmest doubt, take the effort to call a provisional and make a shot. It's not even a minute of time to do this.

Additionally, it's almost 4pm the next day and payouts STILL haven't been posted.

One thing keeps pissing me off and that's when i click on the PDGA site's elite series tab for the link to Maple Hill and it gives me last year's event page...

Aren't they supposed to be posted before the final round starts?

You're referring to the proposed payouts, which indeed are to be posted somewhere in tournament central before the final round starts.

I'm referring to the final payouts on the PDGA site:
https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/49214

This is the final payouts, with payouts split when ties occur, and so players can see how much they actually earned in the tournament. Which happens fairly quickly after almost every PDGA NT and DGPT event, and most A-tiers. But for some reason, not for the MVP Open.

The reality is that these situations happen few and far between. If there's even the slimmest doubt, take the effort to call a provisional and make a shot. It's not even a minute of time to do this.

I would agree that in reality this would not be common. But in both cases discussed here, there wasn't even the slimmest of doubt. The entire card both times felt there was no doubt the original throw was OB. Also, in the case where a spotter calls it OB, should everyone have to say 'provisional' when they go to the drop zone?

Disclaimer--I don't play in tourneys, so my viewpoint is quite different from many on here.

This isn't about wanting to rewrite the provisional rule, it is simply about addressing the very few instances (couple a tourney at best) when the existing rule may unfairly penalize someone.

Will it simply become habit to just yell out 'provisional' before every drop zone throw from here on out? That only takes a second, right? Or is there more that goes into calling a provisional than that?

One thing keeps pissing me off and that's when i click on the PDGA site's elite series tab for the link to Maple Hill and it gives me last year's event page...

Can you post the link? I'll fix it ASAP.

Last edited:
I'm on my phone and can't seem to navigate to that page. All I get to is the primary Wlite Series page (NT plus PT), where the link to MVP is correct.

I'm on my phone and can't seem to navigate to that page. All I get to is the primary Wlite Series page (NT plus PT), where the link to MVP is correct.

All the other ones work, including GMC. I didn't even notice it till earlier when i went to check if they had updated the payouts after reading the earlier posts... and i was like, "they're there on my screen" and had typed out a response. I went to confirm the winner's prize amount and noticed it was Paul's name not Adam's.

Will it simply become habit to just yell out 'provisional' before every drop zone throw from here on out? That only takes a second, right? Or is there more that goes into calling a provisional than that?

The standard practice is to declare provisional….and make sure that at least one person on your card heard you declare it. I would personally try to ensure that at least two members of the card heard me declare a provisional just so that there is no doubt. But yes, that declaring of a provisional only takes a second and could become standard practice for all drop zone shots in which the original OB status were in even a fraction of doubt. Yes, even if the spotter waves a red flag. If your original drive is indeed OB, then you play the drop zone shot as normal. If you're actually IB, then you are quite happy that you had declared provisional on that drop zone shot and you don't get penalized.

The standard practice is to declare provisional….and make sure that at least one person on your card heard you declare it. I would personally try to ensure that at least two members of the card heard me declare a provisional just so that there is no doubt. But yes, that declaring of a provisional only takes a second and could become standard practice for all drop zone shots in which the original OB status were in even a fraction of doubt. Yes, even if the spotter waves a red flag. If your original drive is indeed OB, then you play the drop zone shot as normal. If you're actually IB, then you are quite happy that you had declared provisional on that drop zone shot and you don't get penalized.

I agree that is works well for now. It's silly to leave it long term. When someone is holding two discs and drops the one they don't want to throw, we don't require players to declare "not my intended throw."

I agree that is works well for now. It's silly to leave it long term. When someone is holding two discs and drops the one they don't want to throw, we don't require players to declare "not my intended throw."

Maybe the TD could put up a reminder in front of the DZ that says "Call a provisional".

Could a TD make a rule like "All throws from DZs are provisional"?

Or should that become the general rule?

Maybe the TD could put up a reminder in front of the DZ that says "Call a provisional".

Could a TD make a rule like "All throws from DZs are provisional"?

Or should that become the general rule?

Kind of what I was thinking. It's a very simple fix and I see little chance for harm or abuse.

Maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure someone could come up with a scenario that this would be problematic.

Performance Tracks

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• MVPMPO.png
    MVPMPO.png
    94.5 KB · Views: 155
  • MVPFPO.png
    MVPFPO.png
    136.6 KB · Views: 150
Not a mathematician by any means, but it looks like the top 50-ish players as a whole scored -10 on hole 1 in the final round. Uli parred it, however.

Latest posts