• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 The Preserve Championship July 30-Aug 1

Woo!

I'm very much excited for the opportunity to play this course before the DGPT rolls into town. I'll be sure to figure out all the good lines, so that the hard-working touring pros don't have to think too hard ;)

So do we know if this is going to be the same hybrid Timberwolf/Lynx layout as last year? I couldn't seem to find anything. They do have the new Red Fox course too, was wondering if that was going to be incorporated at all.

Bring your roller game Throwbot. I would've when I played it last year, but I don't have a roller game :D

Cale mentioned at some point in the offseason that he wanted to improve the courses from last year/make it more difficult for pros. has that happened yet/will it happen before the pro tour event? idk.

Cale mentioned at some point in the offseason that he wanted to improve the courses from last year/make it more difficult for pros. has that happened yet/will it happen before the pro tour event? idk.

Seems like Cale is touring a lot more this year, than he did the last couple years while installing/creating the Preserve. I'm sure he has ideas of ways to add some teeth the course but I'm not expecting a huge difference in the layout however.

So do we know if this is going to be the same hybrid Timberwolf/Lynx layout as last year? I couldn't seem to find anything. They do have the new Red Fox course too, was wondering if that was going to be incorporated at all.

Bring your roller game Throwbot. I would've when I played it last year, but I don't have a roller game :D

It will be a new layout. He is going to include a few holes from Red Fox as well - whatever keeps the flow of the entire complex. He might have to create a few holes to get from RF back onto Lynx

To extend what smarkquart, Cale posted on his Instagram a while back some new/longer pin placements for a hole or two. I'd assume those are going to be used for the DGPT event.

despite all the answers so far we do not yet know

its so far just speculation and assuming

despite all the answers so far we do not yet know

its so far just speculation and assuming

Did you play the new one yet? Maybe it's more up our alley. You know, not all golf coursey like. :D

And if so, where is the Red Fox set up in relation to the other 2 courses?

Did you play the new one yet? Maybe it's more up our alley. You know, not all golf coursey like. :D

And if so, where is the Red Fox set up in relation to the other 2 courses?

i havent haha

only thing i have heard is youll pull at least 20 ticks off you by the end of the round from red fox

The Black Bear UDisc map is updated with the new layout. Par 65 - 10,800ft.

A few new holes, a few reworked holes, and a couple par changes. But, 18 is still a par 5 instead of a par 4...don't let Steve know. :p

I'll be curious to see if Cale learned anything from last year's debacle and tweaked the Airborn Disc Golf Preserve tournament layout so that it isn't just a wide open huck fest. Even when many DGPT tournaments are contested on ball golf courses, last year's layout took it to an even more ridiculous level. Scores were outrageous under par, and Simon got blasted so bad on his Instagram page for praising the layout that he eventually took the posts down.

Hope there's a lot of improvements to this year's version.

I'll be curious to see if Cale learned anything from last year's debacle and tweaked the Airborn Disc Golf Preserve tournament layout so that it isn't just a wide open huck fest. Even when many DGPT tournaments are contested on ball golf courses, last year's layout took it to an even more ridiculous level. Scores were outrageous under par, and Simon got blasted so bad on his Instagram page for praising the layout that he eventually took the posts down.

Hope there's a lot of improvements to this year's version.

As previously mentioned, the course has seen some changes. The open holes are (mostly) longer, and there are actually a few wooded holes now. It will probably still be 'easy' and scores will still be low. I think hot rounds will still definitely be more than 10 under every round, baring any wild weather, but nothing as silly as last year. I can't see anyone going below 15 on a single round.

Last edited:
I played it a few days ago and finished -8 by listed par. I am normally a 930-950 player who is capable of putting up a 1000 as well as 890. This day, however, I was just hitting my shots, staying clean, no lost discs, and making my circle 1 putts. The only other thing you need to know is that I top out at 390-410 for distance.

This course is mostly about distance again with at least half the holes from Timberwolf. Half of those have minor changes like a basket moved 30 feet or a tee put on more solid ground. Regardless, the small modifications have changed the way you may attack the hole because of the better usage of trees, how you have to carry over the water, or the needed angles have changed where more precision is required.

The score separator is going to be Hole 5. It is a combination of two tunnel shots from Red Fox - a 320-foot straight tunnel shot into a slight open area (circle 1 for the normal hole) but then doglegs right into the next tunnel for another 260 feet.

There are not many spots to pick up strokes on the field, but there are plenty of places to lose them if you do not have accurate distance, cannot read the wind, or cannot put an upshot from 150-200 within circle 1.

The to-be-fair moment is that the water and mature trees are used as well as could be expected. On the longer holes, since they are a combination of several holes from the normal courses, there is also plenty of tall(ish) grass in the middle of the fairways. I am not sure if he is going to mow it or let it stay so it is easy to see the regular holes when the courses return to normal, but rollers are not going to be the best option on most holes. I would be surprised if you saw more than two or three out of any given player.

The however moment, the course may not have been finished being set up for the tournament. There were no elevated baskets, and many of the sponsor signs lining the fairway were not marked as OB - but if they were, it would definitely tighten up the course.

I filmed a few holes. Maybe you can see what I am trying to say:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw7kpO5Kzzw

Essentially, the difficulty of the course comes from not making mistakes - most of the field is not going to be making up strokes on 15 of 18 holes (unless a throw-in). You lose a stroke to the field, you are not likely getting it back.

Thank you smarkquart for the very nice write up and especially the YouTube video. I really appreciate the filming and the efforts you took.

I really do want to be optimistic about this year's layout, because it really has nowhere to go but up. Remember last year saw -15,-17, and -16 as hot rounds of the day. If you shot -8 each round last year, you made last cash. If you shot -9 each round, (-27 total) you only placed in a tie for 25th. If you wanted to place inside the top 25, you had to shoot under par on over half the course…basically birdie more than half of the 18 holes each round. Shooting a score of par 64 was a 946-rated round. You had to shoot -7 to have a round rated higher than 1000.

That's just not what we should be seeing in a DGPT Elite Series event.

Thank you smarkquart for the very nice write up and especially the YouTube video. I really appreciate the filming and the efforts you took.

I really do want to be optimistic about this year's layout, because it really has nowhere to go but up. Remember last year saw -15,-17, and -16 as hot rounds of the day. If you shot -8 each round last year, you made last cash. If you shot -9 each round, (-27 total) you only placed in a tie for 25th. If you wanted to place inside the top 25, you had to shoot under par on over half the course…basically birdie more than half of the 18 holes each round. Shooting a score of par 64 was a 946-rated round. You had to shoot -7 to have a round rated higher than 1000.

That's just not what we should be seeing in a DGPT Elite Series event.

Just because the pars on holes #1, #4, #10, #11, #15 and #18 were too high, that doesn't mean the course didn't do its job. It only means par was too high.

However, a bunch of scores in the 40s is a bit of a concern.