• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Live Coverage Will Be Paywalled

She's not having a good tournament at the Memorial. 14 Strokes back after 2 rounds. With a 904 rated round 2, literally 114 points off Jennifer Allen's round. :eek:

After seeing the Memorial coverage, yeah I'll play the $9/month. Solid job with a couple glitches. #Overall it's a quality product and I'm happy to support it.

I know people have differing priorities and budgets. That's just where I'm at.

Go DGPT!

If they would officially announce that Nate & Terry would be alternating commentating duties each event, I'd pay.

The Memorial coverage was very good in my opinion. I watched the final 3 hours on Saturday and probably 4 hours on Sunday. I had no problem with the ads as they were fairly minimal and occurred during "walking time". I don't feel like I missed anything due to the ads.

To me the biggest factor on whether I would subscribe for a month is the courses that events are held on. While I watched the Memorial (for free) I would not pay to watch a tournament played at Fountain Hills or Vista Del Camino.
I couldn't find a TV schedule for the Disc Golf Network – will they be broadcasting a tournament every weekend?

Was not expecting much from the live coverage this weekend. I've never been overly impressed with live coverage of disc golf but I really did enjoy this particular live coverage. Having more shots from other cards (FPO etc) helped, I really enjoyed Jamie's commentary for the most part and Jeff Spring/ Terry Miller did a solid job of interviewing. Well done and they earned a sub from me for this year. Hoping to see that they continue to push forward and improve the coverage (they missed some lead card back nine shots showing FPO shots on hole 2, showing interviews etc.)

^thats the thing. looking at PDGA events for Mar, Apr and May there seems to be one DGPT event per month. thats it? why not sell by the event then?
That's why I was wondering if the Disc Golf Network was going to carry non DGPT events.
DGPT events by month:
Feb. 1
Mar. 1
Apr. 1
May 1
June 0
July 2
Aug. 3
Sep. 1
Oct. 1
From what I read you can pay by the month and can cancel at any time...I don't think I will be buying June.

Thanks for the kind words about coverage.

While I have no input or am not in charge in ANY way of the DGN, I have been told there will be exclusive content on the channel, and that is supposed to help supplement some of the weaker months. I know they already have a post round show that goes up there. And I think that Mo has plans for more of that stuff soon. I think that may include post production rounds of the Silver Series events. Not 100% sure on this.

As for why they don't charge by event. The platform doesn't exactly support it yet officially (But I think it CAN be done from what I see). Vimeo has few subscriber options when live broadcasting is involved. Monthly & Yearly. The plan was to originally have the PDGA membership give you something like 20% off a yearly sub. But the platform didn't support yearly discounts, only monthly. So that is why the PDGA membership gets you a monthly discount. But all those features are in the Vimeo OTT roadmap.

Any idea when DGN will get support for Sony TVs? Holding out until that gets added.

Any idea when DGN will get support for Sony TVs? Holding out until that gets added.

Sony has used a few different operating systems in the past. What version are you using? If it is a newer one, it COULD be on AndroidTV and that might work with the Android app. I will have to check and see if that is the case on my AndroidTV system at home.

If it is an older one... you will forever be out of luck.

Sony has used a few different operating systems in the past. What version are you using? If it is a newer one, it COULD be on AndroidTV and that might work with the Android app. I will have to check and see if that is the case on my AndroidTV system at home.

If it is an older one... you will forever be out of luck.

Just picked it up this fall, so shouldn't be too out of date. Searched for DGN the other day, but nothing showed up.

Thanks for the kind words about coverage.

While I have no input or am not in charge in ANY way of the DGN, I have been told there will be exclusive content on the channel, and that is supposed to help supplement some of the weaker months. I know they already have a post round show that goes up there. And I think that Mo has plans for more of that stuff soon. I think that may include post production rounds of the Silver Series events. Not 100% sure on this.

As for why they don't charge by event. The platform doesn't exactly support it yet officially (But I think it CAN be done from what I see). Vimeo has few subscriber options when live broadcasting is involved. Monthly & Yearly. The plan was to originally have the PDGA membership give you something like 20% off a yearly sub. But the platform didn't support yearly discounts, only monthly. So that is why the PDGA membership gets you a monthly discount. But all those features are in the Vimeo OTT roadmap.

Quoting you just to get your attention:
Do you know if the Vimeo OTT roadmap includes being able to change the playback speed? I like being able to pause the YouTube feed for a while and coming back to it and setting it at 1.5x until I catch back up to the live feed.

Quoting you just to get your attention:
Do you know if the Vimeo OTT roadmap includes being able to change the playback speed? I like being able to pause the YouTube feed for a while and coming back to it and setting it at 1.5x until I catch back up to the live feed.

That never came up in any discussions. So I can't say.

I reserved my judgment until the Memorial was over. I'm in on subbing this year for sure. Especially if the product improves along the way - the Memorial was the best live broadcast I can remember (in terms of technical execution, commentary is completely subjective) If I'm being honest, it would have taken a lot for me to not pay to watch - if it was a repeat of last year I definitely would not have jumped on board.

New info this week from JVD on Smashboxx and Jeff Spring on Johnny Discgolf.

JVD says they have approximately 1500 subscribers already. Jeff confirmed "over 1,000" and "over their goal for the year".

This is after a free weekend of coverage. You have to assume as we get to the week of Waco it's going to grow.

That's a big win. That's a lot of revenue the tour did not get last year.

Two takeaways from that:

Todd has to feel better about his investment and makes it more likely we will have steady, reliable ownership moving foward.

Secondly, that revenue is almost certainly going to be reinvested in the tour. That could mean more cameras and more card coverage. Could mean better technology to allow record and replay when both cards are throwing at the same time so we miss fewer shots. Could mean more personnel, maybe another person working alongside JVD so he doesn't have to be the producer AND the switcher at the same time.

One thing is guaranteed, the product is only going to get better and become an even more appealing subscription.

I was cautiously pessimistic about this paywalled thing, I think I was wrong.

New info this week from JVD on Smashboxx and Jeff Spring on Johnny Discgolf.

JVD says they have approximately 1500 subscribers already. Jeff confirmed "over 1,000" and "over their goal for the year".

This is after a free weekend of coverage. You have to assume as we get to the week of Waco it's going to grow.

That's a big win. That's a lot of revenue the tour did not get last year.

Two takeaways from that:

Todd has to feel better about his investment and makes it more likely we will have steady, reliable ownership moving foward.

Secondly, that revenue is almost certainly going to be reinvested in the tour. That could mean more cameras and more card coverage. Could mean better technology to allow record and replay when both cards are throwing at the same time so we miss fewer shots. Could mean more personnel, maybe another person working alongside JVD so he doesn't have to be the producer AND the switcher at the same time.

One thing is guaranteed, the product is only going to get better and become an even more appealing subscription.

I was cautiously pessimistic about this paywalled thing, I think I was wrong.

My takeaway.....Steve Dodge was really correct, all along.

Latest posts