• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Live Coverage Will Be Paywalled

I really hate monthly subscription on international services because it means i have to "open" my credit card to the US once a month. .
So i have to go for the full year subscription even if i´m a PDGA member and the full year is more expensive.
I don´t mind paying, but for us not living in the US, monthly payment is not that easy

Not to mention that any of the events in the western time zones make it pretty much impossible for you to watch. They don't start until you're more or less ready for bed, right?

I wonder if they could set it up to let people like you pay for individual months at one time, instead of paying each month?

Last edited:
For me in Sweden most Tee off is around 1-2h to midnight, so i usually only watch live on Friday and Saturday . . .really hate to have to go to bed just as the final rund starts on Sunday :(

But a few tournaments starts earlier, just when i get home from work. . really like those :)

So for me Thursday to Saturday tournaments works the best

But it´s must be just as bad or worse if you live in the US, most tournaments starts during work hours

The eastern time events should be good for you(Idlewild, GMC, DGLO). 1:30 starts would put them at 7:30 your time and you would probably get to even watch the FPO, or at the least most of the round. Instead of having to use your card each month, maybe you could set up a PayPal account? Put like 50-100 euro on it and you're ready to go.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how this will work for us in Europe. . i usually watch the FPO and then go to bed. . but if i understand this correctly i will never see FPO live again :( it will be in the middle of the night for me when the FPO tee of for most tournaments

So i THINK the FPO live had many European viewers in 2019. . .they will have close to zero in 2020

I have a PayPal account, but 90% of the mail i got from PayPal are paypal scams. . so i never use it

Last edited:
You should be able to catch some if not most of the FPO rounds for the east coast events. The announcement said they would tee off around 60-90min after MPO and will be cutting back and forth between the two until the MPO finishes. Then they'll cover the rest of FPO. For longer rounds(like Idlewild for instance), they would likely finish after midnight your time but some of the shorter rounds you might be able to watch them finish, especially the Friday/Saturday rounds...

Last edited:
I wonder how much money DGPT can realistically make in a year for this "pay-for-view" . . and where will that money go?
For me sports "must" be live, sure it was fun watching WTO. .but i already know the score, it takes the excitement out of it

Jomez is fun to watch, but not for "i wonder who won" but more " i wonder how he got a 7 on that hole" . . .you watch it to see how the players got their score. . .not to see what score they got . . .if that makes sence ( it did in my head hehe )

Will paying for the live have better a better signal? Many of these tournaments have bad cellphone signal on part of the course and the coverage goes to the booth for some filler until the players get back to an area with better cell phone signal. The group at USDGC promised better coverage cause they ran cable. It seemed like I watched way too many preproduced clips when they didn't have a phone signal (ie. non PDGA bearded guy explaining why he "designed" a mando next to the green on a ball golf course) Why did they not run cable to the places with bad signal?

This group of announcers, except for Terry, are not worth listening to. Nate and Val may be great players but horrible as announcers and commentators. Perhaps it may have something to do with not being onsite and commentating from a thousand miles away. Jamie's posts on this forum have really soured me on him. Terry did/ does a great job on the mic and I enjoy his insights while on the course with the players.

Usually paying for something you expect a better product than what you can get for free, unless it's free beer.

It always blows my mind how cheap disc golfers can be.

$300 bag, with $600 worth of discs in it? No problem. $5 a month to watch live disc golf? OMGWTF (maybe not so much on this board, but the overall interwebz reaction)

Last edited:

$300 bag, with $600 worth of discs in it? No problem. $5 a month to watch live disc golf? OMGWTF (maybe not so much on this board, but the overall interwebz reaction)

Those items last a lot longer than a 4 hour live round.

Today people are bombarded with different streaming sites and/or cable. Each one costs $$ and now the disc golfers are asked to add another $5 to what they already spend on monthly subscriptions.

I'm not saying they are or aren't cheap but I am saying it isn't as simple as "it's just $5".

Will paying for the live have better a better signal? Many of these tournaments have bad cellphone signal on part of the course and the coverage goes to the booth for some filler until the players get back to an area with better cell phone signal. The group at USDGC promised better coverage cause they ran cable. It seemed like I watched way too many preproduced clips when they didn't have a phone signal (ie. non PDGA bearded guy explaining why he "designed" a mando next to the green on a ball golf course) Why did they not run cable to the places with bad signal?.

They didn't run cable and they never claimed they were going to. They drove a van behind the players that maintained line-of-sight to the cameras.

They didn't run cable and they never claimed they were going to. They drove a van behind the players that maintained line-of-sight to the cameras.

They also were overwhelmed by the cell service data being overloaded by everyone at the tournament using their phones.

lolol

my bag is more like $10 with $100 total of plastic in it

$5 for live or $5 towards playing one of many a 4+/5 rated course by me or buy a used disc at pias that i can throw a ton

really the last two choices seem moar favorable to me

is it being cheap or is the "media coverage" putting the carriage before the horses

I agree that $5 is not a lot of money. But it DOES add to the ever growing cost of streaming. I cut cable which was costing me $1680/year (included internet). I now pay $1240 for streaming services and internet. The best part about it (besides saving money) is that I get the exact content I want. So adding $5 a month simply comes down to the same question everyone has to ask themselves when they buy something. Which has more value, this $5 or the disc golf content?

I personally want to see us get to a pay per view option in sports. That way I can pay for this game and that without having to pay for all the ones I don't watch. But that may be wishful thinking.

I am a potential customer. Calling me a cheap mooch is both myopic and dumb. I am also a discerning consumer with an entertainment budget. With both free and PPV options, I shall make my own determination as to which I choose.

Much like parks that move to a P2P model, they understand that some will simply move down the road to a free course, while other will make the determination that the P2P course is worth the money....to them.

I don't think any disc golf coverage is worth any money. I don't find viewing the game that compelling, nor do I think the quality of coverage warrants the attention of my wallet. I will hold out for a PGA quality product, which is free BTW. I am not even sure that disc golf is as watchable as golf, even if the quality is comparable. And golf is one of my last choices.

Good luck to the entrepreneurs out there busting their humps, trying to carve a living, out of the disc golf niche.