• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT Tour Championship Moves to Charlottte

Spinthrift

Eagle Member
News release posted on DGPT site tonight:

Dynamic Discs to continue as partner as new DGPT leadership makes venue change.
Jeffersonville, VT, September 3, 2019

The 2019 Disc Golf Pro Tour Championship has been moved to Hornet's Nest Park in Charlotte, North Carolina in a decision that takes the event back to its originally planned and announced dates. This change was made to accommodate player travel plans and allow a full field to participate.

The event was first announced on these dates in the Fall of 2018, but a change to October 31-November 2 (announced July 24) had left a number of players unable to attend. The new date brings the event in line with the final stretch of the professional touring season, placed a week after the run of the USDGC and Hall of Fame Classic contested in Rock Hill, SC, and Appling, GA, respectively.

"The first priority we addressed as Tour leaders were making sure the DGPT Championship worked," said Jeff Spring, who is a week into his tenure as Tour Director. "After realizing the date change had affected several players, we reached out to Jeremy Rusco and his team at Dynamic Discs and discussed the options. After several discussions with DD and conversations with each player who is qualified, we decided to make the change to Charlotte. It became clear this was a much better option for the players. We thank Dynamic for their help in executing this change quickly and efficiently."

A large part of the decision to move venues is the vibrant disc golf scene in Charlotte, known worldwide as a disc golf mecca. Charlotte also boasts one of the strongest disc golf clubs in the world.

"The Charlotte Disc Golf Club and Mecklenburg County Parks & Recreation are honored to host the Disc Golf Pro Tour Championship," said CDGC President Jim Banbury. "This is a great opportunity to showcase one of the sport's premier events for disc golf fans, our members and Charlotte, one of disc golf's destination gems."

The event will be held at Hornet's Nest Park, the course where Paul McBeth captured his first PDGA world title. Hornet's Nest is one of 18 courses that the 536-member Charlotte Disc Golf Club has built and maintains. It has been a featured course at four PDGA World Championships, the first being 33 years ago with temporary baskets in 1986, then as a permanent installation in 1997, 2012 and 2018.

Hornet's Nest, an iconic wooded Carolinas course, has two layouts, the shorter of which is 6,534 feet, par 58. The longer layout, called "The Web," is 9,015 feet, par 70, where a 1000-rated round is right about par. The final layout chosen for the Tour Championship will demand the best of the pros earning the right to play the DGPT Championship at this famed venue. The layout will be overseen by Jeremy Koling and John Houck, HouckDesign. Mr. Koling is a Charlotte native and seasoned touring professional disc golfer. With over 100 designs to his name, Mr. Houck is arguably the most prolific and experienced course designer in the world. They will work with CDGC Operations Director Mark Huether to make final adjustments.

Mr. Spring also noted "more than 40 of our 47 qualified players have committed to this date and location. We are also thankful to bring on the support of several other top disc golf brands to partner with us on this event, including Prodigy Disc, who has hosted the past two DGPT Championships with great results."

The DGPT is excited to announce more partnerships in the coming weeks as enthusiasm for the new management team and the change of the Tour Championship venue garners support across the industry. That support has translated into a prize purse of $40,000 for the event, more than $30,000 of which is added cash.

Mr. Spring will be available for interviews throughout the week, beginning with an interview he has given to Ultiworld Disc Golf on this topic, see https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/ for more information. He will also make an appearance on Smashboxx's Tuesday evening podcast, starting at 9 pm Central, tonight. For more information or to schedule interviews, please contact Jeff Spring at [email protected].

"A large part of the decision to move venues is the vibrant disc golf scene in Charlotte, known worldwide as a disc golf mecca. Charlotte also boasts one of the strongest disc golf clubs in the world."

Can't imagine Rusco and DD will love this phrasing. Don't think it was meant as a dig at Emporia but reads that way. Had I been the person writing the release, I'd have leaned on the dates + Southeast location as the main talking points.

Can't imagine Rusco and DD will love this phrasing. Don't think it was meant as a dig at Emporia but reads that way. Had I been the person writing the release, I'd have leaned on the dates + Southeast location as the main talking points.
I'm 90 minutes from Emporia, and don't consider it a dig. Both towns are "meccas" for disc golf, but you're comparing a metro area of over 2 million people with two major sports teams to a college town in Kansas barely 1% of it's size. If it weren't for disc golf, about all I'd do in Emporia is gas up my car and pee on the way to Kansas City.

"A large part of the decision to move venues is the vibrant disc golf scene in Charlotte, known worldwide as a disc golf mecca. Charlotte also boasts one of the strongest disc golf clubs in the world."

Right because the DGPT Championships are so late that the weather can affect them so the south would be the major talking point.

Hopefully Dorian doesn't make a big mess out there. Looks like the really bad wind wont reach that far inland but its still gonna be plenty windy and wet enough to cause some havoc.

Hopefully Dorian doesn't make a big mess out there. Looks like the really bad wind wont reach that far inland but its still gonna be plenty windy and wet enough to cause some havoc.

Unless it changes course, it won't. Forecast for Charlotte is 30% chance of rain, winds of 18 mph. And a flood of evacuees, but they won't do too much damage, either. Factor in the available manpower Charlotte has to do coursework, and the fact that only 1 course is being used, and it'll be no problem.

Wow, so we finally get to have a DGPT at a great course! :hfive:

So they are moving a pretty major event six weeks prior to said event. I thought this thing was supposed to get more professional under Spring's watch. Thoroughly Dodge-like. Where does an 800 pound gorilla sleep?

Considering how quietly and without fanfare the original announcement...halfway through the season...for the Final was, I wonder how many people were aware that the original plan was for Emporia in the first place?

Given how odd the whole thing with Emporia being the host came about and was publicized, it always felt like a place holder to me. Like Dodge was scrambling trying to find a spot and settled on Emporia and a later date because they're a solid fall-back option. They're really good at hosting and could probably pull together a pretty professional looking/feeling event in a matter of a few weeks if needed. But they did it while still seeking a more tour-friendly (geographically) spot in the meantime. Basically what I'm saying is I don't think this move to Charlotte is entirely the work of Jeff Spring in the week since the sale announcement was made. I think it has been in the works for longer than that. In other words, it's Dodge-like because he was probably heavily involved in bringing it about.

So they are moving a pretty major event six weeks prior to said event. I thought this thing was supposed to get more professional under Spring's watch. Thoroughly Dodge-like. Where does an 800 pound gorilla sleep?

Imagine the uproar, had Steve Dodge made the exact same announcement.

Considering how quietly and without fanfare the original announcement...halfway through the season...for the Final was, I wonder how many people were aware that the original plan was for Emporia in the first place?

Given how odd the whole thing with Emporia being the host came about and was publicized, it always felt like a place holder to me. Like Dodge was scrambling trying to find a spot and settled on Emporia and a later date because they're a solid fall-back option. They're really good at hosting and could probably pull together a pretty professional looking/feeling event in a matter of a few weeks if needed. But they did it while still seeking a more tour-friendly (geographically) spot in the meantime. Basically what I'm saying is I don't think this move to Charlotte is entirely the work of Jeff Spring in the week since the sale announcement was made. I think it has been in the works for longer than that. In other words, it's Dodge-like because he was probably heavily involved in bringing it about.

Agreed. I looked for the Tour Championship on the DGPT website yesterday, and couldn't find anything. It seemed to be scheduled as a placeholder. Heck, the tour Rankings haven't been updated since June.

Solid idea to keep it in the Southeast, especially so soon after the other two events. Plus, they've contracted the best designer in the game and top notch local player to work on the layout, great choices made with deep pockets. Since CLT just hosted the Am Worlds last year, the course is already in quality shape.
I have so many questions how they will "Pro Championship" the course, do they shut down the park road along 5,6 and 7? , any lengthening possibilities for #9?, use the Web layout for #18, to make it a challenging final hole?, but mainly, will they be able to close the park to other users to cut down on car traffic and eliminate interference with other users?

I do feel for the CDGC volunteers, I believe a lot of them work the UDDGC down in Rock Hill, then two weeks later another major tournament! Best of luck guys!!! :thmbup::thmbup:

in Charlotte's Web.

LOL! Props for that one! :thmbup:

As to the venue change... Emporia has its yearly tournaments, and while I'm sure they would've loved to host the DGPT Championship, they're probably not going to lose a ton of sleep over this move.

It's also a good move for Charlotte, and I suspect one Big Jerm Koling may have had an influence behind the scenes to have Charlotte host the event. The course will be fine for pro play, and I again suspect that they've been working on it.

Imagine the uproar, had Steve Dodge made the exact same announcement.

Some might have taken cheap shots just for the sake of making them (like that ever happens in politics, but I digress...), but this would not have been a big deal if it had happened under Dodge's watch and he'd announced it. As long as Charlotte hosts a good tournament, any potential controversy will have been forgotten before Christmas...

So they are moving a pretty major event six weeks prior to said event. I thought this thing was supposed to get more professional under Spring's watch.
I can't speak to anything related to DGPT prior to 10 days ago, but I can say Jeff Spring is as buttoned up an event professional I've dealt with in a 50-year communication and marketing career, most at executive level.

Jeff's purposeful bearing, clear intent and collaborative tone helped bring a very complicated situation to resolution in an extraordinarily narrow time frame. He strikes me as having the ability to slow himself rather than speed up as pressure increases. All through this narrow-beam balancing act, he has been very mindful of maintaining the bridges to existing DGPT partners as he works to connect new spans to opportunities.

Granted, it was happenstance that the Charlotte Club was in the right place at the right time with the right resources to help make this happen. But it was no accident, with years having been spent building the facilities, P&R relationships and membership base necessary to even make this possible.

The CDGC's goal is to help put on a show that will make it very difficult for the DGPT not to come back to Charlotte. If we can pull that off in six weeks, think what we can do with a year.

I think it is as un-Dodge like as you can get. For better or worse (and Steve has done a lot of good for Professional Disc Golf) he didn't wavier from an idea without being beaten over the head with it not working.

This is about avoiding embarrassment of having hardly any of the qualifiers attend the Tour Championship. It sounds like Plan B was to not have a championship at all, rather than have a poorly attended one.

This was damage control of the hasty decision to have it in November in Kansas.

Latest posts