• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"DG's Grey Area"-The Mid-Range Game

At my home course I rarely throw mids for approach shots. I find the only time I use my mids is off the tee, using them more as a "control" driver than anything else. After all my drives I'm usually throwing a putter down to the pin. With that being said, I still LOVE driving with my midrange discs so they will always have a spot in my bag.

I don't really use mids on second shots, more off the tee, and I use them equally with my wizards. I like long or spike hyzers with the buzzz or straight at it shots where the ceiling isn't high enough for a comet or wizard. Comet I use on anything where I want to go straight or with slight hyzer or anhyzer. I use my mids and putters more than any other disc though.

All of my mids are larger diameter than my putters or drivers. As such I use them to carve lines better than my other discs. For me, mids are all about short drives and then touch and line shaping.

I'm going the other way right now and really struggling with my fairway drivers. I use Comets and a Buzzz and get those to go as far as I need them and can get creative with lines as well. Anything over 325-350' I'll throw a PD or CD at. I've tried Leopards, Gazelles, XL's, etc. but I can't get the same lines at the same distances as a Comet or Buzzz. Got a Cyclone this morning and took out my ESP XL, hope I can get a few more effortless feet of D than the Comet and have a touch more fade.

I find myself using mainly mids off the tee, with a few PD's, a light Wraith for tailwinds and D and a Echo* Boss for wind and open areas. And I almost took all those out in frustration last week...Give me 320' down the middle with a Comet and nice gentle ION another 250' and call it a day on anything under 600'.

I'm going the other way right now and really struggling with my fairway drivers. I use Comets and a Buzzz and get those to go as far as I need them and can get creative with lines as well. Anything over 325-350' I'll throw a PD or CD at. I've tried Leopards, Gazelles, XL's, etc. but I can't get the same lines at the same distances as a Comet or Buzzz. Got a Cyclone this morning and took out my ESP XL, hope I can get a few more effortless feet of D than the Comet and have a touch more fade.

I find myself using mainly mids off the tee, with a few PD's, a light Wraith for tailwinds and D and a Echo* Boss for wind and open areas. And I almost took all those out in frustration last week...Give me 320' down the middle with a Comet and nice gentle ION another 250' and call it a day on anything under 600'.

I am just loving the cyclone, as it responds more easily than a buzzz does...The part I don't like about the cyclone is that it does not land as soft as the buzzz...still have them both in the bag just in case though...but I am with you about the buzzz....it is more about making conservative drives, that need to land some what soft:thmbup:

I haven't been able to use putters for longer shots because of the awkward grip. I see the benefit of using putters for almost anything, but I've found that my Star Mako is dynamite inside of 220'.

I've been a big fan of other mids, but the way the Mako feels in the hands is worlds beyond lesser discs.

Strange...a thread about not using/needing mid-ranges. Unless you're playing long open courses where you can throw drivers all the time.

I use my Rocs more than anything else. If anything, I could question why I carry distance drivers...they would be the least used...

I haven't been able to use putters for longer shots because of the awkward grip. I see the benefit of using putters for almost anything, but I've found that my Star Mako is dynamite inside of 220'.

I've been a big fan of other mids, but the way the Mako feels in the hands is worlds beyond lesser discs.

To me the Mako feels exactly like a putter. Try a shallower putter maybe?

I hate having the feeling of never seeming to need to pull my esp buzzz out of the bag. I use a cyclone or stalker for longer shots (cause they can take the snap with dependable finishes), and a rhyno or aviar for shorter approach shots(due to their str8 flight and soft landing).;)

I use the buzzz for longer gradual anhyzers(300) that need to finish soft right, or shorter(200ft) shots that finish to the left.....which lately, is done with the discs listed above...It is as if the buzzz is just too fast, but just too slow, and just too str8, and so workable that it is just too tough to judge....I love the disc, but seem to only carry it in the bag for sentimental value....I have tried other plastics....and a pure mid-range is a pure mid-range:\

Now for beginners or night golf rounds requiring one disc...nothing beats a buzzz or a roc. But for the rest of the time....:confused:

Anyone else troubled by pure mid ranges?

I used to be the exact same way. Honestly I think a lot of it has to do with the type of course your playing, what feels comfortable for you, and your throwing mechanics. I recently picked up a 174 Z Buzzz a few weeks ago and this thing is like a disc sent from the gods for me. I use it as a fairway driver on almost any hole 350 and in now. I have a big arm so I was always weary about middy's but since it's heavy and in Z plastic it handles snap well and has just a bit of finish to the left. I very rarely turn it over and am working on getting it broken in a little for anyhyzer shots as well. I've had more birdies with that disc than any other in my bag this year and I've only had it for 3 weeks.

That being said I had an ESP Buzzz about a year ago and hated it. I griplocked it almost everytime i threw it, I didn't like how it wasn't a perfectly straight flyer, and I gave it away quickly. Since then my game has changed drastically for the better (form, patience, etc.) and I picked up a Z buzzz mainly because of the hype. It's lived up to the hype for me.

Latest posts