• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGWT cancelled?

That said, I think I could make a substantial argument that DGPT brought credibility to some of the events they used, whereas DGWT tried to gain credibility via using high profile events. That suggests that one had better management.

Nailed it. I would go beyond management and say DGPT has the better business model for long-term sustainability.

Nailed it. I would go beyond management and say DGPT has the better business model for long-term sustainability.

DGPT is tapping into an audience and a market that is already there and established. DGWT is trying to hit the magic bullet and land some huge billion dollar sponsor or whatever.

DGPT is tapping into an audience and a market that is already there and established. DGWT is trying to hit the magic bullet and land some huge billion dollar sponsor or whatever.

And neither approach is "wrong". If Jussi was trying to do that, it is MUCH tougher than what the DGPT is doing.

And neither approach is "wrong". If Jussi was trying to do that, it is MUCH tougher than what the DGPT is doing.

Well, the methodology for the approach sure can be wrong.

Wonder what will change for the 2019 DGWT. Maybe the DGPT will be seeking an international leg. Or maybe the DGPT will have established live coverage and a market by then that DGWT can latch on to.

Last edited:
Lol we are such a black spot of DG.. Jussi you were so right. Bestest ideas and bestest execution evaaaaaaa!

Take that Roosevelt.

I had forgotten about the "the black spots" comment. Yeah, good riddance at least for a year

Well, the methodology for the approach sure can be wrong.

Wonder what will change for the 2019 DGWT. Maybe the DGPT will be seeking an international leg. Or maybe the DGPT will have established live coverage and a market by then that DGWT can latch on to.

I'm guessing there won't be any 2019 DGWT.

The world won't have changed much by then. And usually when someone "suspends" operation, it's just a soft landing for closing down. Pulling the plug after scheduling for 2018 really gives this appearance.

Maybe DGWT will stay overseas? Lot of untapped money to be made in Europe, and they seem to take it more seriously as a sport as opposed to jorts and tie dyed shirts over here.

To me it seems like a natural extension of a lot of the work that's already been done.

The world won't have changed much by then. And usually when someone "suspends" operation, it's just a soft landing for closing down. Pulling the plug after scheduling for 2018 really gives this appearance.
There is a European Tour and a new PDGA Europe organization. Wouldn't surprise me if the DGWT team shifted focus to more support for and growing the Euro Tour events to rival the NT events in America.

Shocker, that Youtube ad money didnt go too far did it.

Can attest. It does not :p

All they did for these DGWT tournaments was put their logo on it and take away live coverage, correct? Other than the DGWT points bonus $ at the end of the year was there actually any $ added to the tournament itself?

Don't like to see people fail but I don't think this is a loss for disc golf.

They were also responsible for the media (read getting Jomez over there). I would not expect them at any of those Euro stops unless they can get other funding, but it ain't cheap.

Shocking to see his strategy of ignoring the hardcore established fanbase and abandoning live coverage for social media updates (LOL) didn't work.

Shocking I tell you.

This. 1,000 times this.

lol, lack of live had nothing to do with the tour's demise, and if anything let them go longer than if they'd had it. Live isn't cheap, and if they stopped because they ran out of money...

I fear you over legitimize the few vocal folks on a thread here. Though, several were brought to the edge of pitchforks and torches on DGCR, I don't thing lack of live coverage was the demise. Many....myself included, are quite happy with post coverage.

This guy gets it.

Whatever people complain about, it seems they have stayed consistent in their vision the whole time. They want bigger numbers, more viewers, etc. No live coverage because not as many people view it. So they did post production, summary clips, stuff like that. They explain they want even higher numbers. So instead of doing the same thing again, they are saying they will re-evaluate how to try to change things and get higher numbers rather than just continuing on with the disc golf diehards. This seems to be consistent to me with everything from before.

That being said, I doubt to the viewers who just want post produced footage that it will matter much...the same tournaments will still happen, the pro's will go there, filmers will go there, and I guess there just won't be some point system at the end. This is likely also why they want to re-evaluate. If essentially the same thing is happening anyways, then they will want to change to make a bigger impact.

Ehh filmers will go there, but I doubt they will be Jomez quality. The list of crews producing quality next day vids with commentary is pretty short...

Maybe Innova will kick down to get Jomez out there, but that's best case scenario for everyone.

They were also responsible for the media (read getting Jomez over there). I would not expect them at any of those Euro stops unless they can get other funding, but it ain't cheap.

I would argue Europe already has one of the best disc golf videographers in the business, lcgm8. If his relationship with Jussi hadn't gone bad, maybe the DGWT could have saved some money. While Jomez, and CCDG have taken the production quality and commentary to an entirely new level, lcgm8 deserves some props.

I would argue Europe already has one of the best disc golf videographers in the business, lcgm8. If his relationship with Jussi hadn't gone bad, maybe the DGWT could have saved some money. While Jomez, and CCDG have taken the production quality and commentary to an entirely new level, lcgm8 deserves some props.

Juha/lcgm8 is fantastic, and I consider him a friend. We email back and forth, and he came out to 2014 Worlds to film with us. One of the guys that got me started (and I picked his brain when I did). The other being DGM, RIP Cubby :(

He's crazy busy with school and work though, and seems to have slowed down a bit on the DG vids. Hopefully we'll see him at the events next year, but I'd be pretty surprised if it happens.

Totally agree with this. Kind of like suspending a political campaign... candidate never returns.

Bummer man!!! I thought the DGWT had a great product. The Aussie Open and the European Open were two of my favorite tournaments to watch. Action in the dead of winter where our top pros went Down Under and put on a show. And last year's European open had a gallery of fans I have never seen the likes of before. I only hope the DGWT can restructure... but I don't know?

Juha/lcgm8 is fantastic, and I consider him a friend. We email back and forth, and he came out to 2014 Worlds to film with us. One of the guys that got me started (and I picked his brain when I did). The other being DGM, RIP Cubby :(....

Cubby was an innovator; I'm glad you mentioned him! At times, I wish that format was more prevalent.

Along with lcgm8, SM Disc Golf is developing into a quality post-coverage outlet.

Last edited:
Okay, let me get this straight. Some visionary tried to blow up disc golf big time with a top-down media fed approach, and it likely didn't work?

Shocking I tell you. Shocking. Next thing you know, someone will look up in the sky on a clear day and see blue.

I can't honestly say that I've paid any special attention to this tour, (or the DGPT events for that matter), other than hearing the carping about the coverage, or lack thereof, on this board.

Latest posts