• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGWT cancelled?

First of all zj, that red bull your drinking ain't American, it comes from Austria (that little country between Italy and Germany). But your on the right track in thinking that the sports market in Europe is more permeable than here, because it is. There are many sports we consider "niche" here that have grown into prime time televised events in Europe over the last half century, from downhill mountain biking, water polo to badminton, even cricket is huge. If David can make an argument that cricket is more of a spectator sport than DG id like to hear it.

Cricket has 2.5 billion fans... second only to soccer.

Cricket is enormously popular on television, worldwide. It's pretty much India's national sport. Every Indian restaurant in my area is packed when a match is on. When the world cup is happening, you can't even get in the door.

Swing and a miss, pearly.

Don't worry Jamie, I will send you a copy of SmashBoxx's plot against CCDG. Do you prefer Word or WordPerfect for that? :D

Ultimately to me it looks like Jussi tried something big and it hasn't worked out *so far*. Jussi will be back with something big and spectacular to try, of this I have ZERO doubts. Jussi and I had our disagreements on some things but I always respect his opinion, his straightforwardness, approach, and honesty. He is good for disc golf in Europe and America. The dirty secret is that everyone wants each other to succeed big, because it will probably make opportunities for each other.

As for DGWT. Jussi asked me to direct all questions to him, and I want to respect those wishes. I'm not going to speak in any official capacity for the tour.

I sincerely appreciate my time working with the DGWT. The people, from all around the world, that volunteered their time and bought into this ambitious idea are fantastic individuals that I'm blessed to know.

From SpinTV's perspective, our partnership with the DGWT has allowed us to showcase elite level disc golf from around the world, which has never been done before on a regular basis. We are proud to have been a part of that. We are evaluating what events we will cover next year based on this information, and if/when DGWT decides to run again we'll be there to support them.

Careful bro, people don't like the truth if it's not a sexy scandal pitting manufacturers against each other. Don't you know that all of the big disc golf companies are spending time plotting against each other while rubbing their hands together mischievously from behind a trench coat?

Oh rats, now I've wasted time I could be plotting against CCDG!

Not sure anyone's said they are plotting against each other. DGPT appears on the surface to be more accessible to every disc golf company, including Innova. That company built the entire industry we all stand on, and I know they put a lot of resources into every corner.

Not sure anyone's said they are plotting against each other. DGPT appears on the surface to be more accessible to every disc golf company, including Innova. That company built the entire industry we all stand on, and I know they put a lot of resources into every corner.
DGA might want a little credit for that, too. :p

Hmmmm.....I thought Discraft was started in the last 70's opposed to Innova in the early 80's. Does that mean Discraft started the entire industry Innova built?

Hmmmm.....I thought Discraft was started in the last 70's opposed to Innova in the early 80's. Does that mean Discraft started the entire industry Innova built?

Don't turn that into a dig against other companies :). Founding a sport like DGA, Wham-o and many others that were involved is much different than building the industry of it.

Innova is the king of this sport. In everything. From retail sales, to tournaments, to the stuff casuals throw. They have been setting the pace for a very long time. They built the shelf space the rest of us try to fill.

Everyone needs a team and not everyone wants to cheer for the Yankees...and those people boo. The bigger a spectator sport this becomes the more "team" oriented some people will want to feel. I think the complaining is part of the growing, even if it is absurd. Just like you hate the hard hitter or enforcer on the other team, but if they get traded to your hometown next year they are the best.

I think Innova saw an attractive advertising opportunity and took advantage of it. Sponsoring Jomez and having their guys do the commentary was very smart and effective, IMO. And I don't "hate" Innova. They are the dominant company in the business and they can throw their weight around in a way other companies can't-it's to be expected.

But I think they'd much rather it be a Spin TV deal like the Las Vegas tournament will be with non-stop Innova promotion in your face. The DGPT evens the playing field, and that is not to their advantage. Of course you and JT are nothing but objective about all this, right Ian?;)

I never said you hate Innova, just said they get a lot of hate. Hate as in ****. It's nuanced, but different :p

Of course I can't be 100% objective about this, (and please don't take this like I'm trying to brag) but I know more about the inner workings of DG, the people doing the work, and the various tours than the average Joe.

I know how much Innova gave the DGPT last year, and roughly how much they gave Jomez to film all those DGPT events. If you're trying to kill a tour you don't do either of those things? Can we agree on that?

You've got that right in terms of when they came around, but Innova ended up with the patent so they must have done disc golf discs first. I'm sure someone will come in and set the record straight.

Careful bro, people don't like the truth if it's not a sexy scandal pitting manufacturers against each other. Don't you know that all of the big disc golf companies are spending time plotting against each other while rubbing their hands together mischievously from behind a trench coat?

Oh rats, now I've wasted time I could be plotting against CCDG!

:clap::clap::clap:

I'd think this very thread would be evidence of the PDGA's wisdom in not ceding the NT to an outside entity.

At least, not yet.

Agreed, a complete handoff is not yet feasible. But, a partnership with contractual terms of shared responsibilities? That's the smartest move for both parties: synergy of resources.

The same argument can be made for the current media strategy utilized in the sport.

Last edited:
oh-really.png

Far be it for me to pile on, but...

giphy.gif

Live stream at USDGC next year?.......

I hope Innova who has most of the sponsorship of that event does that, this might mean that the USDGC coverage gets even less coverage due to Innova blacking out people trying to do live coverage and not being part of the world tour. That is the only possible downside to the World tour being gone. I would assume that Innova keeps doing the event as it is also a NT event as well with USDGC and NT has Innova as a major sponsor of that as well but is less dominating to the NT, other brands that do an event like say Dynamic Discs doing Glass Blown Open can do a live stream of that event, though the 3 brands of Latitude 64, Dynamic Discs and Westside Disc seems to only focus on cards that have their top preforming player rather then the top players at the tournament period. I hope that a better World Tour comes about with more events in it. If not then most players that are top pros might end up to just play in their home country or if from Europe countries then that continent.

Discraft Invented more Frisbee like discs back in the 1970 with the Sky Styler, the Sky Pro now remade as the UtraStar when they could finnaly use the Wham-O like rings. Discraft made disc for sports like feestyle and then Ultamate as those were the more established popular sports and did not have a good disc to use for them. Yes the Wham-O Super Pro Frisbee was out and the size of an Ultimate disc but the disc was not the best for Ultimate as a moderate 20 mph wind would take the 165 gram discs, Discraft found that a disc 10 grams hevier was better for Ultamate. Yes the Sky Styler and the Sky Pro were very popular discs to use for Dis Golf as well because they were made better then the toy versions that Wham-O was making though Wham-O was making their discs less and less each year like a toy and more and more like sports equipment the early Discraft discs were better somehow then the Wham-O Frisbee's.

Actually DGA invented the Sport of Disc Golf as we know it today, they made the first modern disc golf baskets in early 1976. and in late 1976 Ed Hendrick formed up the DGA company to make his baskets.

Last edited:
Some sort of consolidation needs to happen. So many events, so many tours, all running consecutive. Different rules, different number of rounds, holes etc. I'm ok with some individuality, maybe one main tour with highest dollar payouts for McBeth, Wysocki, ect. Then a semi-pro style tour, like the PGA and Nationwide tour or whatever it is now. Competition could be better because players are battling much more on eachothers level. Not that they aren't great players, but if some of the outliers of the smaller a-tier tourneys get moved to larger events then lesser known players can shine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cricket has 2.5 billion fans... second only to soccer.

Cricket is enormously popular on television, worldwide. It's pretty much India's national sport. Every Indian restaurant in my area is packed when a match is on. When the world cup is happening, you can't even get in the door.

Swing and a miss, pearly.

Way to lack reading comprehension. My point was that just because a set of people (like americans in this example) find a sport to to be boring to watch doesn't mean that billions of others might find it fascination. Like cricket, try finding a following for it outside of countries that are former British colonies, you wont. Much could be the same for disc golf in Europe even though it may never catch on mainstream here. There is no way you could convince me that cricket is more spectator friendly than DG, but billions of others obviously disagree. Sorry if you didn't get that the first go round.

I mean football (American) is boring af, and I love watching sports like disc golf, and even regular golf. But millions of people line up to spend thousands on tickets and and merch, year after year. It's all marketing. If you can convince the consumer they want to like it they will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some sort of consolidation needs to happen. So many events, so many tours, all running consecutive. Different rules, different number of rounds, holes etc. I'm ok with some individuality, maybe one main tour with highest dollar payouts for McBeth, Wysocki, ect. Then a semi-pro style tour, like the PGA and Nationwide tour or whatever it is now. Competition could be better because players are battling much more on eachothers level. Not that they aren't great players, but if some of the outliers of the smaller a-tier tourneys get moved to larger events then lesser known players can shine.
Not going to happen until outside sponsorship is a viable reality. As it stands, the big fish rely on the little fish being there for their income. If the little fish want to pay for expensive lessons, I don't see the harm.

Latest posts