• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

different sports, same mechanics

Same mechanics, but unlike disc golf you dont have to learn those mechanics before actually playing the game. Why is that? Never once in any other sport did i have to go back to the most basics and learn that. Its incredibly frustrating.

I skate and longboard so i have fairly good balance and weight shift i'd say, i don't have to learn these things step by step, i just learned it by doing it. Same with tennis.

Same mechanics, but unlike disc golf you dont have to learn those mechanics before actually playing the game. Why is that? Never once in any other sport did i have to go back to the most basics and learn that. Its incredibly frustrating.

I skate and longboard so i have fairly good balance and weight shift i'd say, i don't have to learn these things step by step, i just learned it by doing it. Same with tennis.

You start different sports with simple tasks suchs as in shoot the puck at the goal or don´t fall off the board etc.. in disc golf they give you a different task either pull the disc or do this or that with your body and suddenly you are performing a dance routine instead of trying to throw the disc at the basket. Same with ball golf, when I picked up the club for the first time and went to the range to hit some balls, a random kind stranger appeared after like 10 swings. "Hey you should try to keep your head down."

So my theory is that stupid advice too early messes up your whole swing until you start focusing on the right task.

You start different sports with simple tasks suchs as in shoot the puck at the goal or don´t fall off the board etc.. in disc golf they give you a different task either pull the disc or do this or that with your body and suddenly you are performing a dance routine instead of trying to throw the disc at the basket. Same with ball golf, when I picked up the club for the first time and went to the range to hit some balls, a random kind stranger appeared after like 10 swings. "Hey you should try to keep your head down."

So my theory is that stupid advice too early messes up your whole swing until you start focusing on the right task.

Unfortunately no advice at all might be just as bad. It all depends on your approach to throwing a disc.

Give the disc to a child and they will find good form in no time. They will listen to what their own body tells them regarding balance, brace and over all form. They won't over-analyze the throw. They'll feel it.
Give the disc to an adult and they will try to solve it like if it was a math problem.
"Ok, so the disc needs to spin to fly, right? I must spin it around when throwing then. Let's curl the wrist up, More wrist curl will give more spin. Everyone knows that. Also, I have to throw it hard. I will jerk it away as powerful as I can using my arm. If I pull from waaaaaaay back then it will surely generate more power. And hmm... this dude on the other tee seems to throw well. He is doing some kind of step with his legs before throwing. I will try that but with more speed of course. Why is he doing it so slowly? Fast steps for easy power. What if I run at max speed and then rotate around? YEAH! That's it! Problem solved! Now I just need to be a bit faster and pull it harder."

The problem is that most people aren't clean slates. They will give themselves advice that are just plain wrong, and think that they are right. Very few will be able to learn from their body not their mind, like a child would. It's part of growing up. Our minds get better at analyzing and solving problems, but we lose part of our natural feel for physical activities. We need both, but there is a time and a place for each part. We tend to mess up when we will benefit from solving a problem with our body and when we benefit from solving it with our minds.

Last edited:
If you can throw a backhand well from a standstill.... you could learn to be a switch hitter... if you have a good forehand, you might be able to play short or third.

Unfortunately no advice at all might be just as bad. It all depends on your approach to throwing a disc.

Give the disc to a child and they will find good form in no time. They will listen to what their own body tells them regarding balance, brace and over all form. They won't over-analyze the throw. They'll feel it.
Give the disc to an adult and they will try to solve it like if it was a math problem.
"Ok, so the disc needs to spin to fly, right? I must spin it around when throwing then. Let's curl the wrist up, More wrist curl will give more spin. Everyone knows that. Also, I have to throw it hard. I will jerk it away as powerful as I can using my arm. If I pull from waaaaaaay back then it will surely generate more power. And hmm... this dude on the other tee seems to throw well. He is doing some kind of step with his legs before throwing. I will try that but with more speed of course. Why is he doing it so slowly? Fast steps for easy power. What if I run at max speed and then rotate around? YEAH! That's it! Problem solved! Now I just need to be a bit faster and pull it harder."

The problem is that most people aren't clean slates. They will give themselves advice that are just plain wrong, and think that they are right. Very few will be able to learn from their body not their mind, like a child would. It's part of growing up. Our minds get better at analyzing and solving problems, but we lose part of our natural feel for physical activities. We need both, but there is a time and a place for each part. We tend to mess up when we will benefit from solving a problem with our body and when we benefit from solving it with our minds.

Makes sense on multiple levels. Thumbs up