• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

different tiers in disc golf

Baughmanron86

I have been playing disc golf for a while and finally got to a point were im happy with my game and been getting into a few tournaments here and there, mostly just a couple singles tourneys. I was just wondering about the different tiers and divisions, whats the difference in the tiers and divisions, and what it takes to qualify for a certain tier or division. Most importantly how do you know which one you should sign up for. Thanks

Nice 'Rube Scarp.

Bottom line? Play Rec. Unless you're really good, that's what everyone is going to tell you.

I'm in the same boat. I just started playing tourneys a couple months ago. I've played 2 thus far, both local course challenge series tournaments. I played Rec for the first one because I had no idea where I would be and because it was at Idlewild which tends to handout serious beatdowns. (One round longs, one round shorts.) I ended up winning by 6 strokes, but it was a small field. I shot a personal best even par from the shorts that day.

Second tourney I went ahead and jumped up to Intermediate. This was a C-tier PDGA so it drew a little bit better and even some out of towners from Lexington, Louisville, and Dayton. I ended up in 2nd, one stroke off the leader. I'll probably stick to Int. for a bit and finish out this year's course challenge series. We'll see how I play the rest of this year and decide if I should make the jump to Adv. for 2013.

re: Tiers

Very generalized, tiers are (from top to bottom)

Majors
NT (National Tour)
A (sometimes referred to as SuperTour)
B
C

Higher tiers tend to have higher entry fees, attendance, and payouts. Though this is least consistent among the B & C tiers.

At Majors, NT, & A tiers, you must be a PDGA member. At B & C tiers, you don't have to but if you're not, you'll pay $10 extra.

There's no particular qualification, skill-wise, for A, B, & C tiers.

Basically, if there's a tournament in your area you want to play, play it. You don't need to give the tier too much thought.

Latest posts