• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc and Ball on the same course?

Additionally, I have other issues with DG on a ball golf course. 1 - course is far too wide open. Sure, elevation and distance can be used to add difficulty, but discs are WAY easier to keep in fairway and would simply be long and difficult, seems NOT fun to me. 2 - cost. If it cost $10 to play 18, that's gouging. Highbridge WI charges $10 a DAY, not a round. 3 - Tried this idea in Tiger Woods 10. Not so fun. Generally speaking, more baskets equals better, but unless your area is severely deprived of DG courses, you'd be better off setting up a couple of your own baskets for a year instead of paying and walking and walking and walking

ummm... math = fail. 400 yard hole = 1200 ft. 376 yd hole DOES NOT EQUAL almost 1500ft. Careful with the number keys on your keyboard. 1 yd = 3 ft.

Yeah, that's what I get for trying to do simple math in my head after finishing writing my second research paper for the semester :( I'm not even sure where 1476 came from!

Chicago

We have 1 Stick Golf course here with baskets. Edgebrook

It's just ok...like most of the other courses around here. I think it deserves the current 2.25 rating. We absolutely move through the course faster than the guys with playing with their sticks and balls.

I caught up to a group of 3 stick golfers who had no interest in allowing me to play thru. Although I did not rent a cart for my round, I thought it was nice to have the option.

On these types of courses, is it the same price for a round of disc golf as it is for a round of ball golf? Can you still rent golf carts for use during dg rounds? The greens being OB seems like a very smart idea. What about tees? It seems like different tee areas might be a good idea. I know when I forehand I drag toe like crazy and this would tear up the tee area. How do the ball golfers react to these types of courses?

Good to see some golf course management is forward thinking enough to let this happen on hallowed (ball golf) ground. Knowing what I know about the ball golfing community, I would expect some fireworks between the 2 camps. Somewhat like the skiers vs. snowboarders thing.

I know where that course in Los Osos is that the OP mentioned. I can picture that working out nicely for that area. That would make for 6 courses close to the 1/101 between Paso Robles and Santa Maria.(?)

On these types of courses, is it the same price for a round of disc golf as it is for a round of ball golf?

Typically, disc golf costs about half of what the ball golfers are paying.

Can you still rent golf carts for use during dg rounds?

Yes.

The greens being OB seems like a very smart idea. What about tees?

Two of the three courses I have played just tee'd off from the regular ball tee. The advantage is that there are three tees, the disadvantage is that they are always wide open. The course that had its own tees was a lot more enjoyable. They were usually close to the ball tees.

How do the ball golfers react to these types of courses?

Van Buuren - This course is usually dead, which is probably why they installed the disc course. The only golfers I have run into there have been drunk and just joyriding in the carts. Also ran into some golfers at the 1st tee there and they let us go ahead because they knew we play faster.
Sun Valley - A 9 hole course with lots of elevation, was the most 'golfer receptive' course I have seen. The ball golfers were all very aware of the disc presence, and they were very cool. They let us play through when we caught up to them.
Center City - The owner of this course is very enthusiastic about the disc golf course. Tee times prevented us from ever catching up to a golfer or having one catch up to us. Nobody like, hissed at us or tried to run us over in their golf cart or chip balls at us.

All in all, the ball golfers have never made me feel uncomfortable. Maybe people out here are just not as concerned about being dicks to each other.

I played Center City at Goat hill yesterday and had a blast. The ball golfer were all very friendly. A few even came up and talked to me and enjoyed watching the dg people throw. The course was difficult since I was not throwing very far but I will definatly go back and play again. Driving a golf cart while playing is really fun addition and makes the round seem more offical

^Glad to see you enjoyed it! I think that course can help change perception on what a disc-on-ball-golf course could be.

Latest posts