• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Beeper Caught on Film!

Now what disc should I put it on? I'm leaning towards something that floats, since the disc beeper is advertised as water proof.

I think the waterproof aspect is so you can play in the rain, snow or in wet conditions (like heavy morning dew), and not necessarily for the purposes of finding a disc in the water. However, the electronics should survive should your disc decide to go for an unexpected swim.

I think the waterproof aspect is so you can play in the rain, snow or in wet conditions (like heavy morning dew), and not necessarily for the purposes of finding a disc in the water. However, the electronics should survive should your disc decide to go for an unexpected swim.

Yep, that's what I was thinking. If the disc is floating, I can probably get it with a stick on most courses around here with water. And if not, I can always grab a life preserver out of the car and get it with that. But I don't want to put it on a disc that doesn't float because there are too many disc eating creeks around here.

But mostly, I bought it to put on drivers for me to do field practice in the field behind my house. I spend much more time looking for my discs in that grass than actually throwing. So I just plan to put this first one on a floater and test it before buying in bulk.

For 20 dollars I would rather replace the disc I lost than attach an obnoxious beeping object on to my flying projectile.
I think it'd be a much better product if it came with a remote that you could press if you lose it, instead of beeping non-stop.

Sorry to say, but it's just a matter of time...

Is there anyone out there who's been playing 2 or more years who's never lost a disc?

i lost 3....two weekends ago at bud hill....even dove into a frigid ass pond (known as snake pond) still couldnt find my mother loving buzzz

In 8 years of playing I've lost 2 discs. None in the last 4 years. Mostly because I am relentless at looking for them. This past December I lost 2 discs on the same hole in 6 inches of snow. I came back 3 times over the course of a week to search and eventually found them both.
^^^This^^^
I don't give up easily on a disc. Only once so far have I left a course w/o all my discs. That was my drive on Hole 18 of Pennisula DGC as it was getting dark. After 15-20 minutes and almost full dark I left and then came back the next morning. Found it in just a minute or two, right by the walking trail in short grass in plain sight.
...I'm not seeing the point of putting something on a disc that costs more than the disc itself unless it's some special disc or one I just cannot afford to lose.

For 20 dollars I would rather replace the disc I lost than attach an obnoxious beeping object on to my flying projectile.
It is not just about the money, it is about the time. I have wasted hours looking for discs. At Water Works in November, I wasted over an hour hunting for discs. Not in the woods or rough, but on the fairway! Throw a driver over a ridge when there are leaves around and it can be quite hard to find. Supposedly Water Works is (one of) the best DGC in KC, but I went away from it frustrated, feeling like it was terrible, because of the time spent hunting discs and because of a lot of trouble finding my way around (but that is another story).

As far as the money goes, it is not like you would save replacing only one disc. You might save replacing 5 or more. Lemme see, (5 discs x $15[StarLite RR's]) + (1.5 hours x $20 [minimum of what my time is worth doing real estate appraisals]) = $75 + $30 = $105!

How is that not worth $20?

As for the beeper, I'd rather just spend the $20 on replacing a lost disc than having to listen to that thing beep for 2 hours.
They have an off switch. Watch the promotional video:
http://discbeeper.com/videos/

But mostly, I bought it to put on drivers for me to do field practice in the field behind my house. I spend much more time looking for my discs in that grass than actually throwing. So I just plan to put this first one on a floater and test it before buying in bulk.

The only disc that I've lost for more than 24 hours was one a couple of weeks ago in a field a block away that has knocked down tall grass. It was a $5 DX Shark, but I still have not actually given up on it... Anyway, that would not have rated a Disc beeper... Still, to save the amount of time I hunt discs in that field would be worth $20.

I dont throw really expensive discs, only way i could see this being useful is if you throw some pricey plastic,,,old teebirds/aviars/rocs ect. So pick your most expensive disc and give it a shot. It looks a little big, it would seem you could make something thats like a small piece of fabric with technology nowadays.

i think it could be hard to focus while you have something beeping in your hand BEFORE you even release it

Love the idea. But we need to make the beepers smarter. I want to be able to call out to my frisbee and have my frisbee call back

i think it could be hard to focus while you have something beeping in your hand BEFORE you even release it

That's not how it works. You push the button, throw, and then it starts beeping after awhile (30 or 45 seconds iirc).

I watched one of the videos that said you have to allow the adhesive tape to set for 72 hours so this eliminates any chances of switching this beeper to a different disc. I'm not seeing the point of putting something on a disc that costs more than the disc itself unless it's some special disc or one I just cannot afford to lose.

I'm thinking that one day maybe the discs themselves will have some microchip already built into the disc that will come with some kind of remote way of tracking it either by your phone or some other handheld device that you can manually trigger to sound off the alert without it constantly beeping and annoying other players or yourself. I do like the concept but I'll pass. Good find.

This permanent adhesive system is the biggest draw back to the beeper. I bought one of these, but do not intend to glue it to a disc permanently. I'm playing solitude mountain course in Utah in may, a well reviewed course that can also be a disc losing nightmare because of the tall grass and quarter mile downhill drives. I plan on moving the beeper around to different drivers with tape. I tested out the tape method and it holds up except on very hard tree strikes, should work fine on a mountain course. I don't plan on using it much other than for courses that are overgrown or mountain courses.

The beeping discs that I have are not really that distracting, but they do make the discs fly dramatically different. The only time the beeping gets to me is when I have beeping discs and beeping baskets for visually impaired kids (not because I lose baskets :)). But when it gets too annoying I just think to myself, atleast someone else teaches them archery :)

So Jen, Have you have a chance to field test this device?

Thinking about getting one of these after much frustration losing discs.

Anyone ever try to attach these via Velcro? Think I would hold on tree strikes?

Latest posts