• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc dimensions that don't add up

Hvac

This seems strange to me that this isn't the case. I mean innova for one has their manufacturing in California which is pretty well temperature controlled to begin with... but you go into any business like a Best Buy and it's the same temp all year long.

Not the same thing. You're just thinking of air temp which isnt regulating the interior "climate".

Not the same thing. You're just thinking of air temp which isnt regulating the interior "climate".

Smaller scale? Enclosed environment for press room? I'm just spit balling here.

But I'd say it just isn't as big an issue as some of us connesuers on the dgcr boards seem to think.

There has to be an acceptable variance at these price points. And I think these are them.

Hvac

This seems strange to me that this isn't the case. I mean innova for one has their manufacturing in California which is pretty well temperature controlled to begin with... but you go into any business like a Best Buy and it's the same temp all year long.

These machines get downright hot. In winter our plant stayed in the high 80's and was well over 120 in the summer. Hvac in a large hot factory is not exactly cost effective. Plus temp variations are but one aspect that can cause variations run to run. Even atmospheric pressure changes can cause variances to appear.

JOwens, could you tell us your opinion of the potential consistency difference between an injection facility that shuts down nightly vs one with 24/7 shifts?

And if the measurements aren't what you think they are, that's going to somehow change how you decide to use them??

Mainly it's that I like to learn why some discs feel good to me and others don't. Knowing which factors are consistent across ones I have makes it easier to know if a new release may be up my alley or not. Innova and Discmania confuse me with their talks of shared tops and bottoms across molds, so I find it easier to use measurements. When they don't add up though that becomes difficult.

2- plastic shrinkage. As I mentioned in my post above different plastic string at different rates, sometimes by a lot. If one disc was measured in DX and the other in champion, the measurements might be vastly different... easily in the realm of a mm. Because shrinkage rates are a percentage, you're more likely to see differences on wide winged drivers rather than narrow winged putters/ mids.

Is this also behind how discs of the same weight can feel like they are weighted differently? I notice this even with two that are the same plastic, one feels heftier somehow because of how weight is distributed in the rim and plate.

JOwens, could you tell us your opinion of the potential consistency difference between an injection facility that shuts down nightly vs one with 24/7 shifts?

I guess that would depend on location. I mainly worked on Roto-mold and vac form plastics, so while generally familiar with plastic shrink I lack specificity here. I would say 9-5 in the tropics or Anchorage may be more consistant than 24/7 in Ks. or Nevada (the desert has brutal temp swings from day/night for those who don't know.)
With our parts the interior temps of the facility stayed fairly (HOT) constant unless bay doors were opened on a cool day. Smaller/thinner parts ,think flight plates, would suffer far more than thicker plastic (rims) but... if your plate shrinks it will pull on the rim which could change domeyness which as we know affects stability.

Another thing that can affect shrink is the amount of mold release used. This was something we used and may not be used in injection molds. but it would form a thin layer between mold walls and the plastic. Too much would make a .001 or bigger difference I have seen as much as .02-03 extra shrinkage above normal when excess was sprayed.

Storms played a factor as well (barometric pressure) but not as much as the other unless once again we opened the bay doors.

I think if your loading bays were far enough from your production area, and were only opened when trucks were docked you could largely mitigate some of these factors, add in HVAC and dehumidifiers and you pretty much would have it licked. The problem of course is cooling a huge facility when manufacturing a product at 15 bucks a pop.

*stupid 5 minute rule it took me 5 minutes to type that paragraph at work

I think if your loading bays were far enough from your production area, and were only opened when trucks were docked you could largely mitigate some of these factors, add in HVAC and dehumidifiers and you pretty much would have it licked. The problem of course is cooling a huge facility when manufacturing a product at 15 bucks a pop.

*stupid 5 minute rule it took me 5 minutes to type that paragraph at work

You know how fugly cold/hot it gets in MI where DC and MVP are made? I cant imagine those huge warehouses being fully climatr controlled. Sure temps need to be regulated for labor laws in general but you make it sound much eaiser then i imagine it is. Granted im only familiar with smaller scale projects it never ia easier the bigger you go and from what ive seen these are no small distribution centers.

Last edited:
Does MVP have their own molding space now, or are they still using space at their family's facility?

If it's the latter, I'm guessing that part of the facility has a lot more production?

You know how fugly cold/hot it gets in MI where DC and MVP are made? I cant imagine those huge warehouses being fully climatr controlled. Sure temps need to be regulated for labor laws in general but you make it sound much eaiser then i imagine it is. Granted im only familiar with smaller scale projects it never ia easier the bigger you go and from what ive seen these are no small distribution centers.

I guess I "make it seem easy" on paper, the only place it is easy. That was kinda my point. We could design a factory from the ground up for run-run consistency, but how much would that cost initially and how much would it cost day to day.

We did it ( installed hvac) at an distribution center of the biggest online retailer that was right at 1 million sq ft but that was without machinery other than conveyors, it was also close to a half million initial investment. I don't even know how much it increased the monthly bill for juice. It did significantly decrease the number of ambulance rides during the summer however.

So can it be done, yes absolutely. Is it remotely cost effective? Not at all IMO. Now if DG see's a significant boost in players and therefore sales possibly. With enough volume cost per part would go down. Another option of course would be one of these "boutique" disc makers to spend more initially to ensure extreme consistency and build from there. But that just increases their chance of failure IMO.

Latest posts