• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc finding luck?

...My friend found a Roc a few weeks ago. We called every permutation of the number that seemed reasonable (nine numbers), but they were dead so he kept it.

Of course he did, because zombies don't play disc golf, 'cause they can't do an x-step. :D

I actually have what I'm pretty sure is the mother of all disc finding stories... I once walked up on an unmarked 9/10 Champion Edition FX Firebird (161g). Just sitting there. Out in the wide open. I found it at the beginning of a round and spent a solid 20 min trying to find the owner before continuing on with my round, and still hardly seeing anyone on the course for the rest of the time I was there. I can't even imagine how someone could manage to forget a disc like that.

Luck and Karma are Real!!!

Definitely something to it. I find a ridiculous amount of discs. I will admit we have a few local courses with nasty areas that I will purposefully look in. That helps. But I tend to find between 30 and 50 discs per year.

Recently knocked a brand new champ valk out of a large pine, with my shanked drive. My driver dissapeared into the tree and two discs exploded out of it. Crazy stuff.

Also I return every disc with info, I've even mailed 3 discs now. I live in Humboldt County, adn have mailed to Sacramento, Petaluma, and even Pennsylvania. That's why I find the crap out of them. DisKarma

BEST FINDS:
FR Eco Xcaliber, with regular star stamp, (I have found two of these, identical discs, neither had a name)
Pro (Candy) Leopard
FR Star Destroyer
ESP Comet
Old "Disc Golf Lake Tahoe" Disc, Must be from the 90's at least.

Also, if someone calls you once and you don't answer they don't want to leave a voicemail. not saying its the best practice but I am guessing people do this.

I've had people tell me they do this. That is ridiculous. If I felt like ranting about something it would be this. If you're going to take the time to call, LEAVE A MESSAGE! Not all of us live by our phones just waiting to answer a call. Almost all of my calls go to voicemail. Also I live in spotty reception areas...

Been playing for about 4 months now, started off by buying 6 or so discs of various speeds. Couldn't throw many of them to start out. There is one hole on my home course that has a little creek running along side of it that is a MAGNET for discs. I find myself walking along the creek every time I play the course. Between un-inked, un-readable, and people not responding to texts and calls, I have filled my bag, my son a bag, my daughter a bag, giving some to the neighbor kids and have more laying on the floor board of my car. I think last time we counted we had a total of 45 discs all together. I have been able to return some to their owners, so I would say in total over the 4 months I have found 50-60 discs all together. Not too bad

Been playing for about 4 months now, started off by buying 6 or so discs of various speeds. Couldn't throw many of them to start out. There is one hole on my home course that has a little creek running along side of it that is a MAGNET for discs. I find myself walking along the creek every time I play the course. Between un-inked, un-readable, and people not responding to texts and calls, I have filled my bag, my son a bag, my daughter a bag, giving some to the neighbor kids and have more laying on the floor board of my car. I think last time we counted we had a total of 45 discs all together. I have been able to return some to their owners, so I would say in total over the 4 months I have found 50-60 discs all together. Not too bad

Hole 8 is a beast

Three of the discs I have found were just sitting in the vicinity of the basket. Maybe they were playing multiple discs and forgot one? Never inked, and never anybody around either.

Obviously talking unmarked.

Convinced a friend of mine to buy a Mamba. Within a week, he's looking in some thick brush for a disc. Finds a new looking first run driver. Yup, Champion Mamba. Great, now he has a back up.

Two weeks later we are looking near a bayou for a disc on a water carry hole. He sees a disc under water. Slides in past his socks. Yup, Champion Mamba. Haha.

I know, cool story bro.

This is pretty funny. I was at Ski Bumm last weekend and was looking at a Nuke on the wall and was telling my friend I might buy it. Next day I'm out practicing by myself and guess what I find? A damn Nuke lol!!

It's a pretty awesome side arm disc too.

Also one of my buddies just lost a Dragon that belong to another buddy, just found one of those 2-3 days ago even tho it flies horribly. Those are just 2/3 disks I found this week. :)

A buddy of mine is a disc finding machine. He walks on the course and pulls discs out of tree,bushes and the water. I bet that most of his bag he has found

Sounds like me, Ive lost all of my bought discs except the 2 putters I just bought. I have 6 other discs that were all found. Love finding disks!! :)

IM pretty good at finding discs too lol. Ive found a ce firebird, some nice destroyers and a bunch of inked stuff which has mostly been returned unless they phone didnt work =)

It took several years, but I think I've finally found more than I've lost, with several finds being returned.

On 2nd thought, I just reconsidered how many Beasts and R-Pro Bosses I've lost... still haven't caught up completely, but I am creeping up on it.

Last edited:
I was just thinking about this last night when playing. It's been a long time since I've found a disc. Part of it because I am getting better and not ending up in the "rough" as much. I did loose my first disc last night in almost a year. I knew exactly where it went , but wasn't worth the snake bite that probably would of went with it. It crossed over a creek along some high grass that covers a 7 foot bank wall. I did a quick look through it, but was not going down into it

Been playing for about a year, found a Champion Sidewinder which I ended up losing, and found three yesterday while playing at a few different courses, two of them being unmarked.

I found a 174 Roadrunner perfectly seasoned with an Evil Dead Ash Chainsaw arm stamp. Yellow disc with red dye splashed on it. Been trying to return it for a year, buddy finally told me to keep it. It renewed my love for the Roadrunner. If I could figure out who dyed it I would get some Anodes done.
http://postimg.org/image/69uq4nk9t/

Last edited:
My favorite find would be a 12x KC Aviar unmarked with minor scuffing. It was my main used putter until I got my MVP putters. other than that my unmarked finds have been mainly dx discs or warp speed drivers.

I've found an unmarked beat-to-heck DX Gazelle that I use, and a blank Black Nuke that I don't have the arm to throw. I've found one marked disc and returned it.

I've lost 4 discs and gotten calls on three of them, so not bad. My wife and I travel the country in an RV, and I'm never in the area when I get the call. So I thank the person and tell them to keep the disc. One guy said he wouldn't use it (Zone) so I asked him to give it to someone who would like it. Maybe I'll get some good Karma points...

I can find other people's discs more easily than my own, it seems. I occasionally find 2 or more discs lost by previous players before finding my own on some of the local courses. I also try to work to get them back. I have a stack of discs I'm trying to return.

It feels good to get them back to their owners. I recently returned one to a guy who had been taunted by someone who found his disc. He fortunately lost it. The owner was several hours from me, but I finally got it back. I made him pay, though. I was down for the college baseball playoffs and our teams were up against each other. I made him wish my team good luck!! Ha! I didn't tell him I would have given it back anyway. :) He is good natured (fortunately).

Find a few once in awile. Found about 5 or 6 last year with a name and number on them and returned all of them to the owners, even got a reward for one. Just trying to practice good karma I guess.

was looking for my white gl striker (found it then lost it a week later, awesome) in a swamp at acorn. the end of hole 9.

what do i find?

a pro destroyer that looks completely unthrown. i just finished a dye job on a star destroyer for my buddy; he doesn't throw it because it's too much meathook for him.

said "hey bro, look what i found for ya" and now it's his go-to driver since it's less stable, and his lovely dye-job sits safe in his cubicle. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts