• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf’s Popularity May Be Declining

Is participation in Disc Golf growing or declining in your area?

• Participation in Disc Golf appears to be growing as fast as ever in my area.

Votes: 129 56.1%
  • Participation in Disc Golf appears to be growing in my area, but not as fast as before.

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Participation in Disc Golf does not appear to be growing or declining in my area.

Votes: 32 13.9%
  • Participation in Disc Golf appears to be declining in my area.

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Participation in Disc Golf is rapidly declining in my area.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I don't know or I don't care

Votes: 25 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Discette

Independent Operator*
Gold level trusted reviewer
Commenting about this article from Ultiworld: https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2016/11/16/disc-golfs-popularity-may-declining/

I enjoy Ultiworld articles on disc golf. However, I don't agree with the conclusions of this article. I would not extrapolate that disc golf's popularity is declining simply because disc golf Facebook groups are not as active as they once were.

In the 20 years I have been disc golfing, the "lone wolves" and "small groups" have always far outnumbered the players that participate in organized leagues and events. Most Facebook groups are a way for these competitive players to keep in touch about upcoming events. These groups are rarely populated by average chuckers. To say disc golf is declining because participation in disc golf Facebook groups is declining is flawed reasoning.

I don't think disc golf's popularity is declining. Although the growth may not be as robust as the past fiver years, it is still growing. There are still new courses going in the ground at a rate of one per day. (328 new courses in 2016 so far)

I would like to do my own unscientific survey and find out if disc golf is growing in your area.

Here is the article without charts and photos:

A decade ago, golf was hot. A young, crowd-pleasing Tiger Woods could beat anyone on the planet, the banks were still small enough to fail, and 30 million Americans called themselves golfers.

But since then, golf has hit a rough patch. The game shed roughly six million players over the last decade, and each year more golf courses were closed than opened, according to the National Golf Foundation.

Not great news for golfers. But at least they know what's happening to their sport.

In contrast, as I've argued previously, there is currently zero data on the total number of disc golfers in the United States. Is disc golf the "fastest growing sport," or has its heyday come and gone? Like a disc flying through the dark, no one knows where the sport is headed.

Hoping to solve the mystery, I recently contacted several disc golf companies and asked them how many Americans play disc golf. Their estimates, none of which were scientific, ranged from 90,000 to 3 million.

Unsatisfied, I turned to a source that seems to know everything (sort of): social media. On October 26, 2016, I posted a question on Reddit, asking disc golfers about the volume of players in their local areas. Fifteen people responded within 24 hours. Thirteen of them said that their local disc golf community was growing, and two reported a flat or declining trend.

Although this micro-study suggests that disc golf is making positive strides, the results of a more expansive, scientific study of disc golf groups on Facebook are less optimistic.

There are currently about 2,612 distinct Facebook groups based in the U.S. that have the word "disc golf" somewhere in their titles or group descriptions. From this population, I randomly selected 100 of the groups and attempted to determine when each was created and whether it was still active. I was unable to collect dates for 22 of the closed groups. For this reason, my total sample includes 78 Facebook groups, each of which represents about 33 of the 2,612 groups in the population (A full description of the methodology can be found here).

The 10 Longest-Running Active Disc Golf Groups On Facebook
SEARCH:
Group Name Date Created
San Antonio Disc Golfers September 17, 2008
Tallahassee Disc Golf Association January 17, 2009
Mile High Disc Golf Club February 9, 2009
Devens Disc Golf February 12, 2009
Hood River Disc Golf Club March 9, 2010
Ponca City Disc Golf March 28, 2010
Merced County Disc Golf Club January 23, 2011
DFW Disc Group February 26, 2011
Cambridge Disc Golf Course (Ripley Park) March 30, 2011
Franklin Park Disc Golf Course, Purcellville, VA April 27, 2011PreviousNext
Based on this sample, San Antonio Disc Golfers is the oldest disc golf group on Facebook. With roots going back to the 1980s, the group now connects disc golfers online from the greater San Antonio area, organizes several weekly and annual events, and is probably one of the more active disc golf groups on Facebook with multiple posts per day. Created on September 17, 2008, the group's 1,334 members recently celebrated their eighth birthday, a notable feat given that Facebook has only been open to people outside universities since late 2006. As seen in the top ten list above, the lifespans of several other groups are also impressive.

Having studied numerous disc golf Facebook groups, I'm convinced that disc golf clubs in some regions of the country are strong and growing fast. Far more than a means of communication, disc golfers are using Facebook to solidify their club's organization, culture and friendships. As seen in posts from my club, the Morgantown Mountain Goats, disc golfers use Facebook groups to learn about local events, recruit players for casual rounds, report tournament and league results, share artwork and photography, organize workdays, immortalize aces, post videos of miraculous shots, marvel at the extraordinary landscapes and wildlife of disc golf courses, celebrate victories, agonize in defeat, return lost discs, sell and trade equipment, and, of course, goof off.

dg-decline-2

Unfortunately, not all disc golf groups on Facebook remain active. Some groups are haphazardly created, experience a few sparks of interest, then quickly go dormant. Other groups build their memberships, gain momentum, but still wither away after a year or two.

The average lifespan of disc golf groups on Facebook is 2.6 years. As illustrated in the figure below, the number of active groups peaked in 2015 and began to decline in 2016.

In the first four months of 2016, four groups were created, but 13 went dormant – a net loss of nine groups, which is equivalent to roughly 300 Facebook groups in the population. Over the next four and a half months, one group was created, and six went quiet. Finally, between August 16 and September 16, 2016 – the month prior to data collection – no groups were created and eight groups failed to log a post, for a total net decline in 2016 of 34 percent.

Given that I recorded the latter data point more than a month ago, I went back to check on the eight inactive groups in the latest period. As of October 31, 2016, two of them had new posts, but six were still dormant.

active-dg-fb-groups-chart

There are at least three interpretations of these findings. First, maybe club life is declining, even while the total number of disc golfers is increasing. You don't need to join a disc golf club or a Facebook group to be an active disc golfer. Perhaps the world of disc golf is increasingly filling up with lone wolves and small groups who play round after round, compete in tournaments – perhaps even join the PDGA – but avoid organized leagues and club life.

Although this scenario is possible, it's doubtful. For one thing, most disc golfers do belong to clubs, according to Infinite Discs' 2015 State of Disc Golf Survey. The rapid growth of any sport just seems implausible without healthy local clubs, leagues and organizations. This theory also fails to explain why lone wolves began to flourish and club life started its descent in late 2015.

Another possibility is that disc golf clubs are doing just fine, but their memberships are using other means than Facebook to communicate. This theory seems to make some sense, considering recent claims by various media outlets that Facebook is in decline. Yet, as shown in the figure below, such claims do not hold up to empirical scrutiny. Facebook use, across all age groups, is at or near all-time highs.

Source: Pew Research Center
Source: Pew Research Center
The last – and least optimistic – interpretation of the data holds that Facebook groups represent a relatively good measure of the disc golf population, and that disc golf, like its sister sport golf, is currently experiencing a decline in popularity.

As an indirect measure, the number of disc golf groups on Facebook is an imperfect, suggestive indicator at best. But this study does, at very least, stress the need for further research. To understand what's happening to our sport, we need a large-scale disc golf survey based on reliable measurements and probability sampling techniques, like the ones funded by the National Golf Foundation. The financial cost of such studies would be considerable, but, as Arthur Nielsen put it, "The price of light is less than the cost of darkness."

This study also suggests that the ongoing debate over the best way to grow the sport should continue. If the disc golf community is indeed struggling at the grassroots, how will efforts to grow the sport at the top – through all-pro events, greater media exposure and bigger corporate sponsors – remedy these problems? More importantly, what would disc golf look like if such efforts succeeded even as clubs and grassroots organizations stagnated or declined?

One answer to this question may be found in the histories of some big-time sports. Basketball evolved from a disorganized network of amateur and semi-professional organizations – which included numerous athletes from all walks of life – to the well-oiled corporate machines of the NCAA and NBA, which generate thousands of paying fans and remarkable commercial success but do little to further the sport at the grassroots.

Rather than discussing the best way to grow the sport, perhaps we should first debate what kind of sport we should grow.

Hmm hard to say. We have more courses and superior maintained courses which are pay to play as well as new courses being installed at schools etc.

It would take some surveying of players on different courses and local shops in-store sales etc.

I tend to believe disc golf is growing just fine. We seem to get a lot of posters here of all age/sex/locations which are picking up the sport on a weekly basis and id assume there are many other people out there for every single new poster that finds dgcr.

I stopped participating in disc golf groups on Facebook, but not in disc golf as a sport. I am not part of any local leagues and no longer have time for tournaments, etc. So all these metrics seem to 'miss' my involvement.

By all accounts Disc golf is growing in Central NC. Not as quickly in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area due to extremely high land value however, I have heard of 2 new courses in the Raleigh area- Marsh Creek park and one at Falls Lake. Ground has not been broken but from what I hear course designers are submitting bids.
Apex Nature park just put in a really nice course within a couple of years. Jones Park(Holly Springs), Patriot (Kernersville), Rock Ridge (Pittsboro), Kraken (Roxboro) are all fairly young courses in central NC as well.

The number of teenagers on Facebook seems to have declined, as well. Does that mean we have fewer teens?

Article clearly written by a Millenial lol

There are only three ways to measure disc golf growth in my mind. PDGA membership, course installations, and disc sales. Course installations keep on chugging, and disc sales must be great to support triple the competition there was ten years ago. I don't know about PDGA membership stats, paging Mr. Kennedy...

I disagree that most disc golfers belong to clubs.

Besides, even if they are a member, that doesn't translate into them actually being active in the club.

I agree that DG's rate of growth has likely slowed from it's peak several years ago, but I don't get the impression that the number of people playing is actually declining.

I don't facebook myself, but I was going to ask, "In general, is there more, less, or about the same ...amount of activity on facebook today as there was 5 of 10 years ago?"

Not saying facebook is dead, but it doesn't seem quite as popular as it used to be. Relying primarily on a single indicator, such as facebook activity for local clubs, when forming an opinion about something's popularity based seems wholely inadequeate, if not completely flawed.

How about considering factors like:
The number of tournaments (both sanctioned and unsanctioned)?
Leagues?
Industry Sales (if available)?
A survey of retailers?
Number of new PDGA, DGCR, DG Scene... memberships each year?

Last edited:
The number of teenagers on Facebook seems to have declined, as well. Does that mean we have fewer teens?

One can only hope.

There is something ironic about someone posting a change in an activity based on participation in social media, on social media. Heaven forbid we should do real measurements like number courses, membership in clubs etc.

That said, I think we should go with the theme. There are fewer outhouses in the park. This must mean we're pooping less.

Next...

The author is apparently an Associate Professor of Sociology at West Virginia University, yet his writing reads like a bad high school essay. This really says something about the quality of a WVU education...

I usually love Ultiworld, but this article really does nothing for me. Mostly opinion, lacking clear authority. What is the story here really? To me it appears the author had a theory but a really hard time trying to prove it, finally resorting to counting of facebook groups.

I remember posting a poll on here not too long ago asking if you participated in organized disc golf. If I recall the numbers were about a 50/50 split. Given the users on here, I imagine in real life it is at least a 25/75 split. In other words, for every one league or tournament disc golfer there are 3 that just play casual.

When I played on Monday, I was the only one on the course for the entire round.

I must be the only disc golfer left on earth. All your discs belong to me.

^There's a joke about a tree falling in the forest and are you really playing disc golf there somewhere.

The author is apparently an Associate Professor of Sociology at West Virginia University, yet his writing reads like a bad high school essay. This really says something about the quality of a WVU education...

You beat me to it! If I was his boss at WVU I'd fire him instantly for writing this absolute joke of an article.

Would agree with others about Social Media being a poor way of measuring Disc Golf growth or lack there of. Not a Facebook user and never will be after a brief stint years ago. I would venture a guess that maybe they are out golfing instead of being on Facebook while the weather lasts. Maybe FB will spike back up in the cold, winter months?

My area seems quite active, more clubs, more leagues, more tournaments and more new players showing up for them. If it is in decline I am not seeing it personally but no concrete evidence to state that as a fact.

When I played on Monday, I was the only one on the course for the entire round.

I must be the only disc golfer left on earth. All your discs belong to me.

I played after I got off work on Monday and the course was completely empty and totally dark. So, not only must I be the last disc golfer in Raleigh, but the sun has disappeared as well.

In my very small area of disc golf we have probably 30 Disc golf facebook groups, all set up for some good reason or another. All the local players or interested parties joined them as they were new. Then when they weren't updated, maintained whatever and the same people from these groups were also in other groups where information was shared better the others were forgotten about and two or three main ones thrived. I've probably got ten that i've started that are now dead for some reason or another, Disc golf is growing just fine!

Latest posts