• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc golf before and after kids

My grandpa was in the part of the nursing home where they kept the Alzheimer's and dementia cases. They would literally lock you in the section with them. It was pretty disturbing.

I will tell you this. If you put your family member in the average nursing home I am willing to bet that your loved one is not cared for in a way you would find satisfactory. Horrible places, most of them.. Some are VERY nice.. But most aren't..

My grandpa was in the part of the nursing home where they kept the Alzheimer's and dementia cases. They would literally lock you in the section with them. It was pretty disturbing.

The people in these wings are escape artists. I have heard some crazy stories of these patients escaping.

My grandpa did fine until he found the lock on the outside gate. He was convinced he was in prison and started whrling his cane like a samurai warrior and bellowing obscenities.

.....Started at 15 months

My 22 month old has really helped my putting. He wants to go out every day when I get home from work and walk around holding discs, putting them in/out of the basket, etc. It is a blast and gives me tons of practice.

HAHA, he does the exact same thing. Even will start to throw a fit if I don't get out there fast enough. He's almost two now, i can't wait to be able to take around the course...

DSCN1357.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC04492.jpg
DSCN1142.jpg

Awesome photos! I'm going to steal the basket idea and get one of Addison in the basket on the course...maybe on the first hole for her first birthday...:rolleyes:

I will tell you this. If you put your family member in the average nursing home I am willing to bet that your loved one is not cared for in a way you would find satisfactory. Horrible places, most of them.. Some are VERY nice.. But most aren't..

My Grandma on my moms side was in a nursing home many years ago and they dropped her on her head which lead to her death. Her personality was not that helpless to need someone to lift her in and out of bed before she went there, but it didnt take long once there.

On the other hand, my grandma on my dads side developed alzheimers and my my grandpa was still alive and trying to take care of her when he decided he couldnt do it as she would wander in the middle of the night and cook huge sunday dinner type meals and then go for a walk in her robe. After she was at the one for a couple months, he decided he wanted to be there with her when her conditions got worse, and he was when she died.

Ol' grandpa though has spirit. He has little "dates" with the single old ladies and talks about how he runs the place. Its funny to watch him get one of the nurses all flustered then watch him chuckle about it, but they all come in just to talk to him, I think he would be fine anywhere.

Of course, I see the commercials for another nursing home and it shows the old people playing bowling with the little plastic toy set and all of them look unhappy doing it. Probably made them for the commercial, but to think of old people and treat them like children, I would never take a relative there.

My grandfather was in the dementia ward at the VA hospital for about 3 years, my grandma went every day to visit him, the last time I took her we went for a walk around the grounds, got him super tired I guess and later that day he fell and broke his hip, never got out of the VA hospital after that, died about a month later of Pnuemonia (sp).

I still feel on some level like I killed my grandfather and have had some trouble dealing with that even though it was like 3 years ago. But the ward was always clean, and he was alwyas happy when he was there after he was too far gone to remember home. Dementia is a horrible disease, and one that sadly runs in my family. I've already told my wife that if I start to suffer from it, once she puts me in a home she needs to move on with her life, My grandma didn't go anywhere for 3 years because she had to visit Grandpa everyday, even when he didn't know who she was (and asked who the old broad was cause there was no way he was married to someone that old:)

Dunno what I'm really adding to this conversation since I'm kinda rambling so I'll stop.

Just took this pic the other day (she's 16 months old now!) and thought of this thread. Gettin' her ready early! She already loves tossing minis around the house.

zoeydg.jpg

Cafepress, I believe. Thinkin' about making some of my own DG designs over there.

Latest posts